The Tragic Jaunt | Teen Ink

The Tragic Jaunt

By gerry SILVER, Nairobi, Other
gerry SILVER, Nairobi, Other

enjoy life while still young

I ran down the road in clear hesitation; I could not get rid of the thoughts troubling my mind. The rocky, but steep weather beaten road made my feet ache. I ran for thirty minutes without rest. The extra weight from my gigantic trainers made my steps even heavier to bear. There was a clear indication that I could not go far. It was so ironical that my country—Kenya—produced so many champions, and here I was making a fool of myself. “Keep running boy, keep running.” An inner voice kept encouraging me in the head. I wondered why I always heard that inner commentator. ‘I have the freedom of choice, why is that guy pestering me always.’ I said to myself. The terrain proved tougher than I expected as I went downhill.

Whoever invented music was the best of all time. I had literally listened to about ten records at a go. My favorite genre is Rock n roll. I swear I have listened to numerous records in my life. Well, I guess that is what I’m good at, apart from running.

“The clock strikes ten,

And I run from my…bed

My stomach rumbles in pain, and I feel so insane

They say no pain no gain, but I can’t bear…the pain…”

There was a silent pause as I switched off my music player. I looked my rear end, and noticed there was no cause for alarm. “A result of watching numerous movies is this… ‘No cause for panic people. We are the FBI, special agents John McGrath and Susan Warfield…’ I guess that is what they always tell us. Deep down they are always fearful like us.

I had now reduced my steps at the moment. I literally tiptoed to avoid any crackling if leaved. I promised myself a gym workout immediately I finished. I had practiced for almost a year. My body was superb, with and athletic build and gait. Despite the fright in me, I swore that I would take down any oppressors within my vicinity. Like a warrior in the devil’s lair, I would slay them mercilessly.

“Where are the deliveries? Where…” what followed was a violent slap on my face. The man could not give me a chance to express myself. He was a mammoth of a man. About six feet eleven inches tall; heavily built with arms almost spanning the whole room, his hairiness made one think he was a beast. There was no way on earth I could counter his strength. I had no advantage; ten inches shorter than him, and less muscular, I had no chance. They say, ‘When you can’t beat them, join them.’ I swore to Cain’s grave, I would take death as an option instead of joining forces with him.

Earlier in the woods after I had speculated something fishy. I had proceeded to walk with caution, I had found a man lying breathlessly on the ground. He had fresh wounds on his abdomen and his posterior ends. There was no mistaking that he was possibly abducted and probably disposed of to die. My mind then recollected stories of abductions in our state. Many a people were mutilated and tortured, all in the name of trade and cultic sprees. I had come directly in the lion’s mouth. There was no turning back.

My Nancy Drew detective instincts told me that there was something fishy about the man. I a people are held hostage, the abductors usually kill them after they are done with them. I however looked on the brighter side and offered my help to the helpless man.

“Hold it right there.” I heard a deep voice compel me. An ice cold metal touched my back. It was an AK-47 gun. I had tried to save a dying man. And here was a person denying me the chance to do so. “It is against the federal law to hold a deadly weapon. You have the chance to hand it over safely. No charges will be held against you…” I wondered what I was saying. I had never worked in any law enforcement agency. Here I was making demands like I was a federal cop. That was a mistake I wish I could never have made. It was like willfully allowing myself to drown with a milestone tied to my neck.

“I said, shut up!” the facial expression on the man’s face proved that he was serious. Despite his size, I agreed that I was no woman. There was no way I would back out without a fight. What followed was a struggle of two vicious assailants. I had never been to any Karate school. But I knew a thing or two about martial arts. The many years of my childhood days spent on watching kung Fu movies proved effective. I kicked his manhood and later snapped his fingers. I fought with the valor of a Spartan soldier. It was a do or die.

As if fate had made a wrong turn on me, I tripped and fell. The beast found a chance to counter my attacks. He gave a huge blow on my head. I fell unconscious immediately. I could not recollect what happened later. I found myself in a cold room. I was strapped with masking tape to a chair. A nylon paper foil was wrapped on my face. An allowance to the mouth was allowed.

“I want you to answer me promptly my friend. I have no room for excuses. Tell me where the deliveries are.” I saw the wounded man tied to a chair. He bled profusely. From the look of things, I guessed he had tried to escape. He had accidentally bumped at me. I prayed to God earnestly that all would end well.

long live adventure