Death By Chocolate | Teen Ink

Death By Chocolate

August 10, 2014
By TheKawaiiDeku BRONZE, Wallington, Other
TheKawaiiDeku BRONZE, Wallington, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Are you going to kiss me or do I have to lie to my diary?


The machine beeped obnoxiously as the dull coins landing in its insides. Yet none of the racks on display moved and a man beat his fist against it in annoyance, dismayed at having been cheated out of his chocolate and his money in the span of a few seconds. Reaching his hand under the flap at the bottom of the machine, he reached into its inner workings, perhaps hoping to take his prize. As he groped around, face pressed against the dirty glass and eyes squinted in concentration, heavy breathing approached from behind him.
After a few moments, the man became sensible of this fact and turned around, eyes wide. What greeted him was a horrific sight; a woman limped towards him, one foot dragging uselessly on the ground while the other trudged on. Hair askew, it fanned over her face in wild tangles, unable to cover the bloodied mess that had once been her mouth. Indeed, unidentifiable human remains and bodily fluids covered every inch of her body and the smell was atrocious.
Panicking, the man quickly attempted to pull his arm from the machine, but in his haste it became caught on several of the hooks and all attempts to dislodge it were futile. Yet still the man tried, unable to accept that his fate was to come at the hands of a creature that had once been human and appeared to have not bathed in several millennia.
Screams were cut off and red liquid gathered in large puddles of the floor. As the glass became opaque with blood, the machine that had unknowingly caused the man's demise stuttered to life and a single chocolate bar dropped into the open hatch, mere centimetres from the dead man's hand. The creature stumbled away after a few moments, hungry to find its next meal, and if anyone had been present at the scene they would have seen the man's hand twitch towards the treat, controlled by half remembered desires from another life. Yet it stilled, and a silence graced the abandoned garage that seemed too thick to ever be broken again by human occupation.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this after observing a lone, lit up vending machine through the window of a closed shopping center. It stood out to me completely in the dark and suddenly I was writing.
This, and of course, my avid interest in zombies.