Clean Me | Teen Ink

Clean Me

By Richinnutrients BRONZE, Vergenness, Vermont
Richinnutrients BRONZE, Vergenness, Vermont

HYAGHH -Link

It all started when I’d just finished shopping. I came out, bags in hand, unlocked my car’s trunk, loaded it, and shut it. That’s when I saw it. In neat, clear print, someone drew ‘Clean me’ onto the dusty surface of my back window. People do it all the time, it’s just a common thing that happens. So, I didn’t think anything of it. I drove home, put away my purchases, and went upstairs to my room to relax a while.

Now, my mom comes over every once in a while, seeing as I’ve just left home and whatnot, to do motherly things; make sure I’m eating well, make sure the place isn’t too filthy, make sure I’m getting enough sleep. And if I’m not in, she leaves me little messages on sticky notes. So, it wasn’t too big of a surprise when I walked into my room and saw a message made of the fluorescent papers on my far wall, spelling out ‘Clean me.’ I thought it was cute, and it was something my quirky mom would do, after all. So, again I thought nothing of it.

After peeling the notes off the wall and throwing them in the trash, I lied down for a quick nap. Waking up, I went downstairs to fix myself something to eat. I worked on a potato, letting the peelings drop onto the counter. After peeling the second and turning to drop it into the pot next to me, I noticed something strange. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The discarded potato skins clearly read ‘Clean me.’ By this point, as you can imagine, I was a little freaked out, so I just threw them in the garbage, hoping it was just a coincidence.

After finishing my lunch, I decided I needed a hot shower for my nerves. I spent a long time in there, until the water turned cold. As I was toweling my hair dry, I looked up at the mirror as I always did after a shower. What I saw made me pause, and caused me to break out into a cold sweat, despite the humid air of the bathroom. On the mirror, written through the condensation that settled there, were the two words, ‘Clean me.’ If I wasn't freaking out before, I sure as hell was now. I hurriedly wiped the mirror, finished drying myself, dressed, and left the house for the rest of the day, too afraid to stay there. That night I stayed at my friend’s house.

The next day, around midday, I went home to shower and change my clothes, avoiding looking at the bathroom mirror. I ate some leftovers, studied for an upcoming test, and watched TV a bit. Before I knew it, it was dark, and it was time for bed. Changing into my night clothes, I got under my bed sheets and pulled them to my chin. I was never one to be afraid of the dark, but that night my heart thumped loudly and my eyes darted around wildly. Nothing weird had happened today, but I was still cautious. I eventually closed my heavy lids and went into a deep sleep.

Well, I assume it was deep, seeing as I woke up to a searing hot pain on my collarbone. Gasping in pain, I walked to the bathroom mirror and turned on the light, trying to see what was wrong. I couldn't see much through the blood, so I carefully wiped at the wound with a wet cloth. My eyes widened in terror at what I saw there. It was carved deeply into my skin. ‘Clean me.’ Holding back a scream, I called a friend, time be damned, and asked if they could come get me and if I could stay over. My voice must have shown my desperation, as they didn't ask questions arrived moderately fast.

They tried asking me what happened, and I wish I could have given them an answer, but I had no f*ing clue. All I knew was that I had a mysterious cut on my chest, and that I was moving out of that house first thing. The next morning, I did exactly that; I called up my landlord, told them I’m moving the hell out, had my friend help me pack up my things, and asked my mom if I could move back in for a little while.

For five years, nothing happened. So, I moved on with my life. I would have forgotten, too, if it weren't for the scar. I finished college, bought a place, and have been living here for a few months now. Today, I was walking past my hallway mirror when I stopped abruptly. My eyes were wide, my heart was beating erratically, a mantra of ‘No no no’ went through my head. I swallowed thickly and turned back around. Written in the thin layer of accumulated dust, were the words, ‘Clean me.’

Really, the thing that inspired this is that I was looking at my whiteboard that I wrote 'Clean me!' on and thought 'Wow, that'd be creepy if I didn't write that.' and BOOM story idea! Also, I needed to submit something somewhere for my Duke of Edinburgh. I was going for creepy, but I'm not too sure if I like how it turned out. Oh well!