Toy Box | Teen Ink

Toy Box

By N.D.Ink GOLD, Dallas, Texas
N.D.Ink GOLD, Dallas, Texas

Daniel had a sister, her name was Emily and Emily had a room full of toys. She had a closet, painted brown with a red trim full of toys. Under her bed were toys, in her drawers and aligned on shelves. Even in a box.

The box was made by her father, Anthony Greir. Anthony liked making toys for his one and only daughter and she loved them because they were so unique. He gave her a lion, who had a pet mouse, they looked so real to little Emily and she swore she saw them move.

The box Anthony made was of rectangular shape, a regular brown box. Emily kept toys inside the box but they were toys her the ones that were broken or she became tired of playing with them.

One thing Emily never noticed was her toy box was a bottomless pit and the toys she threw end there would disappear into another world.

The toys that fell into the box ended up alive, as they fell they would either hit the hole on the left or right. The hole on the left lead to the Grey Doll and the hole on the right lead to the Black Doll.

Anthony made a mistake when he made special dolls for his daughter. He made seven foot dolls, he thought play time would be more realistic and more enjoyable. The dolls Emily's father made were creepy like. They were tall, had large eyes and still faces that scared her. She enjoyed her father's toys so much but she didn't want him to know that these dolls were... terrible. She would have liked a small doll that was pretty and she was able to dress up. The dolls he gave her were too big to even put clothes on.

Emily put the dolls in the toy box, they didn't really fit so she took their limbs apart and threw them in the box. The Grey Doll and Black doll were now junk dolls in a world of their own.

"Do you have a name?" the Grey Doll asked the Black Doll.

"Do you have a name?" The Black Doll said to the Grey Doll.

"I do not have a name" the Grey Doll answered.

Realizing they were nameless and alive they went find a name for themselves. It was an endless road they continued to walk together, a grey brick road with pink trees, the pink trees even covered some of the road with their fallen pink pedals.

The road seemed to grow as they walked, the Black Doll stopped and said, "I don't want to walk anymore"

"We have to keep walking" the Grey Doll said. "There must be something at the end if this road"

"Maybe so..." The Black Doll was in doubt of this quest but she continued on with the Grey Doll on the fruitless journey to no where.

Finally the road showed a graveyard in the distance, and at a gravestone sat an old woman who was dress in blue and white. She was sowing a scarf with red and black checkers. The two seven foot dolls approached the old woman. "Hello" the two greeted.

The old woman turned around and grinned. She lifted herself from the ground and dusted off her dress. She had snow white hair and dull green eyes. Her face was like shiny leather and as she moved her bones squeaked.

"Oh, oh, my, my, what is this in front of me? Two toys lost? One grey and one black, my, my, why won't you look at that"

The two looked at each other in confusion. "Who are you miss?" the Grey Doll asked.

"Oh? I am a simple seamstress, i cut and sow. I can knit anything together... even a bow"

"Even a bow?"

"Even a bow, i can add glitter or gems if you like. A seamstress I am, and a seamstress I like"

The woman made the two tilt their heads in curiosity. "Can a steamstress can us names?" the Black Doll questioned.

"A name you seek? I can't give you a name but I can give you...a mink"

"A mink?" the Black Doll's head titled.

"Something comfortable, something you need, something that will keep the cold off your back if you please"

"A mink?" The Black Doll rose her head unsure if she really wanted a mink. She was however without clothes and a mink to keep her warm sounded nice. "I'll take the mink" The Black Doll said.

The seamstress pulled out a ball of yarn and needle from her apron. In a flash she sowed a fine mink, her hands moved quickly either could see how she did it. She handed the Black Doll the mink, it blinked it's eyes  and showed his teeth. "Hello" said the mink. (Great now I'm stuck in rhyme)

"Hello" the Black Doll wrapped the long mink around her neck, he was warm and furry.

"Now you have a mink but you are still a doll with no name" said the Grey Doll.

"We'll find names, good names" The Black doll reassured.

The went on an the old woman waved them goodbye. As they walked away from the old woman, they looked behind them and their former path was clouded by fog.

And so they walked on the endless path once more stilling hopping to find a name for themselves. The fog became more dense, it was thick was to thick to see. The Grey Doll stopped for a moment and asked "Are we still on the right path?"

"I don't know anymore but if we keep moving we'll find something just like the old woman"

"Maybe so" the Grey Doll nodded and the two continued to walk and walk into the fog.

The mink began sniffing the air, he hugged around the Black Doll and said "I can smell even in this dense fog"

The Black Doll stopped to pay attention to the mink. "Can you? What can you smell?" the Black Doll asked.

"I can smell...ash and smoke" the mink answered.

The two dolls looked at each other, their curiosity peeked as to what was ahead. Perhaps whatever it was could have been causing the fog.

The two came across a man with a dusty coat, turning a handle on a box. He had a top hat that torn and blown out from the top. The man turned around and he said, "How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?"

"A dog has only four legs, it can't walk on it's tail" said the mink. "My whole body is technically a tail but i can't use my body for walking"

The man stopped turning the handle on the box. "Then you'd be a snake" said the man. "If you call the tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have"

The two dolls looked at each, none knew the answer. "You can't call the tail a leg..." said the Grey Doll.

"And why can't you?" the man asked.

They looked at each again, confused at the riddle. The Grey said again, "You can't call the tail a leg... it has four legs for walking..."

"So... not even you know the answer?" the man said a but sadden.

The Grey Doll shook her head. "I do not know sir"

The man stood still for a moment and then rapidly turned the handle on the box until the two heard a bing. The lid opened and the man dug inside and handed another small box to the Grey Doll. "Open it, it's yours"

"Is it the answer?" the mink asked.

"No" the man said.

The Grey Doll examined the box it was small and purple with gold lining. She was curious to know what was in the box, maybe a name. "Is a name in here?" she asked the man.

"A name you ask?" he rubbed his stubble. "You want a name little doll?"

"I do... we both want a name"

"I don't have a name for you and your friend but I'm sure you'll find one"

They walked passed the man and started walking again until around interruption. "You both could use a makeover... a new design" the man said.

The looked at one another again to look at the others face. "We see nothing wrong with us" they both said.

"You are both naked, face and all... nothing is ever wrong with improve..."

The two turned their back and walked again, the man waved them goodbye. The Grey Doll looked back and saw the fog cover their tracks.

"Is there something wrong with us?" The Grey Doll asked.

"Nothing at all" said the Black Doll. "I feel... satisfied with how I am"

"So do I" said the Grey Doll.

This is the first draft of my story Toy Box. I'm going to write more of it but i will revamp it some more. Toy Box is about seven foot tall dolls that end up in a world within the toy box.

on Jul. 24 2014 at 12:22 pm
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Very good. I love that used toys in your story. Keep on.

AshhKel BRONZE said...
on Jul. 24 2014 at 1:41 am
AshhKel BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." - Ronald Reagan

Pretty great!