Moving into Someone's Home | Teen Ink

Moving into Someone's Home

April 8, 2014
By Sakkera Soto BRONZE, Pflugerville, Texas
Sakkera Soto BRONZE, Pflugerville, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Honey!” my husband yelled from the downstairs kitchen.
“Yes dear?” I called back as I set boxes down from the move.
“I hate this house! Why did we move here again?”

I left my bedroom and walked down the spiral staircase. I would have kept walking except I noticed to the left that there was a whole set of boxes untouched. They belonged to my lazy husband, Sehun. As I was about to tell him that he really should get back to work I felt a pair of warm hands on my shoulders. But I pushed his hands away, with my back still facing him.
“Yeobo?”
I sighed and turned around before I began speaking.
“I don’t like it when you speak to me in Korean. I know that is your native language, but it’s not something I can understand. So don’t speak it!”
“Okay, okay, okay. You don’t have to be so mean! Just, tell me again why we have to live here.”
“You know why. I had a job transfer in this area.”

I almost continued with my words until I heard the attic door opens upstairs. He looks up and then looks at me with eyes of irritation. He began moving up the stairs until I held his arm back and started moving ahead of him. Then my childish husband picked me up by the waist and put me back in my spot that I was standing in a few seconds ago.
“Yah! There’s a reason why I don’t want you to go up there! And I’m the husband, let me do my job by protecting you.” he exclaimed.
“Sehun, it was probably just the cat. I’m just going to see if she didn’t knock anything down.” I said with an annoyed voice.
“I know I shouldn’t complain this much, but weird things have been happening in this house since we moved.” He says with a concerning look in his eyes.

We heard the cat hiss and the sound of a woman laughing echoing through the house. I looked towards my room and rolled my eyes thinking my cat was pressing buttons on the sound board I have in my work room.
“See this is what I’m talking about. Stuff like that keeps happening.”
“What are you talking about? The cat probably just pressed buttons on my sound board.”
“Why did you lock the cat upstairs?”
“She was annoying and scratching my leg a little more than usual. It doesn’t matter anyway.”
“I think you should see a few things that have been happening since we moved in.”
“What are you talking about? No. I need to finish unpacking and I need to close the attic door.”

I turned around to face the staircase and almost started walking off, but was grabbed by my wrist. He dragged me into the kitchen and pointed at the sink. I looked and noticed that it was all rusty and disgusting.
“Why does our sink look like that?”
“I don’t know but when we moved in here the sink was shiny and polished.”
“Is that all?”
“No. Remember when I called to you while you were upstairs?”
“Yes.” I answered trying to be reasonable.
“Well I the reason I said that I didn’t want to be in the house anymore was because of this.”

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me kind of forcefully to the laundry room. He opened the door and then swiped his hand on the wall looking for the light switch. When he finally found it, the light came on slowly. There were markings on the walls that were black and were dripping. It was written in black paint.
“What is this?” I asked looking around astonished of the drawings.
“I found it in here today, but it didn’t look like this when I came in here earlier. It looked like it had been there for a few days and we don’t have black paint.”

I looked around and I almost wanted to believe what he was telling me, but then I realized he hated this house to begin with. Why should I believe him? He didn’t want to be here, he was willing to do anything to delay our flight here, and this was starting to confuse me.
“You know what? I’m forgetting this ever happened and I want you to clean this up.” I said sternly and almost walked out, but was grabbed by my wrist.
“You think I did this, don’t you?”
“I don’t want to say I do, but I can’t say that I don’t. Sehun you hated this house since we moved in and-“

Suddenly I felt something soft brush against my leg. I jumped as I looked down. It was my cat, Minnie. She had somehow gotten out of the room. I look out the door and noticed that all of our boxes were gone.
“Sehun, where are the boxes? Did you put them somewhere?”

There was silence and I turned around to look at an empty space. I left the room, closing the door behind me and began calling for my husband.
“Sehun! Sehun! Seh-“I stopped quickly.
I felt something cold brush against my back. I turned to see if it was Sehun, but saw nothing. Where is he? I hope he isn’t playing around again. I looked towards the glass door that leads outside and noticed it was dark out, and checked the time. But the clocks show noon. That was the time when I walked downstairs.
“Sehun? Please don’t play around anymore! This isn’t funny and I don’t think you should be hiding from someone who you married willingly!”
“Yeobo!”

I hear Sehun shout, but I can’t tell where it was coming from. His voice sounds scared and needing. I began looking around me trying to tell where his voice was coming from, but it just sounded like it was coming from everywhere.
“Yeobo! Sarangae!”
“Sehun! Where are you?!” I shouted and I am beginning to become scared looking for my husband. He said ‘Sarangae’ which means ‘I love you’ in Korean and ‘Yeobo’ means ‘honey.’
I began walking back to the staircase thinking he might be upstairs, and when I got there I stopped because I heard something in the living room behind me.

All the lights in the house were on and I walked into the kitchen. The sink was now silver and shining. I looked around the kitchen and noticed that the dining table was missing a leg.
“Sehun! I’m scared! Don’t do this!”

The table suddenly fell apart and something dripped on my forehead. It was some sort of red and thick substance. I looked up and noticed there was something drawn on the ceiling. It looked like an arrow, but I was too scared to follow it. So I reached for the phone that was put on the wall near the sink.
I dialed 911, and as they began to ask what my emergency was, I screamed and told them my address before the call ended abruptly. Something was behind me and it felt really cold. It was almost like an ice cube touching my arm, but only for a brief moment.
“I don’t know what’s going on, but you need to stop it!” I shouted as tried to step forward towards the front door.
Then I stepped in something. I looked and it was the red liquid again, enough of it dripped from the ceiling to make a small puddle. I was barefoot so as I kept walking I was making red footprints on my floor.
Meow, meow, meow, me-

That was my cat, she sounded in pain and now I was really scared. I knew someone other than my husband and I were in the house. I turned thinking that I couldn’t just leave with the person that matters most in my life. So I followed the red arrows. They took me to the staircase. I walked the spiraling stairs and as I reached the top, I saw the missing leg to the table plunged into my floor with the red liquid coming from it. There was a paper that was being held in place by the piece of wood. I walked very slowly towards it and read what was written.
Look in the hallway closet……

I tried to gather all my strength to go further down the hallway to reach the door. It was covered in random splatters of red, but this time it was much darker and thicker. I put my hand on the handle and slowly opened it.

My husband’s limbs and body were ripped to shreds. The only that wasn’t torn to bits was his head that was dangling from a wire hanger he put in there earlier this morning.

I started screaming uncontrollably and started running, but heard something scratching at my bedroom door. It sounded like my cat so I went to the door quickly to try and grab my cat. But when I opened the bedroom door I was pushed into the room. My cat was lying on the floor with all of her organs ripped out and spread out along the floor.

I was trapped in the room and I began ever moving here. I started saying sorry over and over again. Trying to reach my husband’s spirit, since now he can longer he me in this life. My heart began racing again as I heard noises above me.
“Sehun?” I called faintly, hoping that maybe everything I was seeing was an illusion.

But then, one by one, I hear the lights burst in the house and I started screaming every time the glass broke. I am left alone in the house and I can’t see anything in any direction.

I hear the door creak open, but my back was facing it. I didn’t dare turn around, because of how scared I was. I am shaking due to the sudden drop in temperature of the room.
I feel metal come around my neck and a cold breath that smells rather awful, as I hear a woman’s raspy voice say, “You know, none of this would have happened if you didn’t move into my house. And now you can join your husband.”


The author's comments:
I was basing it off a character from a K-pop group named EXO.