The Last Thing Expected | Teen Ink

The Last Thing Expected

By Sierra__Paige BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
Sierra__Paige BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota

The last time I recall seeing her was one week ago, I was watching a movie with Steven and she came out, put her hand on my shoulder, muttered “He’s here.” and disappeared. When I grew up my family made it a point to tell me that ghosts aren't real, I began to believe it. My family went to great lengths to make me believe it, and I did. But when you’re living in a house where there’s an occasional appearance and disappearance of a girl in a white chiffon dress, it scared me and made me wonder. She appears at the worst times for me and the only word she has ever tried to say was Monica, her name, I assume. When she appears it’s usually the times I have company over, either my boyfriend Steven or my best friend April. If I have co-workers or a big group of people over, she never appears. Steven and April say they can see her too but I think they’re just trying to make me feel better.
Hearing her say “He’s here” is the first time I had heard her say anything different than Monica before. I was beyond terrified. I didn’t know what to think. I’ve always thought this could never happen, all those movies are fake, this can’t be happening. I haven’t slept since, my body tells me to sleep but my head says if you do she will get you. When I think of it my body becomes so overcome with fear I can’t move. Was she trying to get a message across saying that? I looked over at Steven when it happened, he didn’t hear anything. Was she talking about my Steven? We continued on with our movie and she reappeared, this time right in between us. “Steven! She’s here! Don’t you see?!” She disappeared, almost as soon as she did Steven turned and looked at me slowly, his eyes glowing, then turned back to watch the movie. I ran upstairs and locked myself in my room. Terrified I began sobbing. I quickly cleaned up and when I came down three hours later Steven was still there as if nothing had happened. We continued with the movie. “Where were you honey? I paused the movie and waited but when you didn't come down I just played it.” I replied “I just had a few things to take care of, everything is good now.” We sat together and watched the rest of the movie, peacefully. I haven’t seen him or her since then. I haven’t left my house since then. I’ve been so worried about what would happen that I just thought it would be safer to stay inside. Any white fabric I had, I threw it away. Turning around to see white was too hard for me, it scared me too much. I’ve become so jumpy that even my dog scares me. April knew something was wrong so she decided to come to my house today. She said I looked sickly and needed some air. I wouldn’t do it, I wouldn’t go outside. It just gave “her” the perfect opportunity to do something to my house. April complied and stayed inside with me. She made the best meal I had ever had and insisted on staying the night. After a long time of arguing I was sick of it and gave in. Having someone in the house with me did make me feel so much better; I had the best sleep I’ve had in weeks! When I got up this morning, April wasn’t up, so since she made supper last night I decided to make breakfast. I heard her coming downstairs so I shouted “Scrambled or sunny-side for your eggs?” The footsteps stopped, I turned around and to my surprise she was at the bottom step, eyes glowing like Steven’s were last week. In a low toned voice she said “On the couch now! I’ve been trying to talk to you for years and now that I have scared you enough and your attention I finally can.” I ran to the couch shaking wildly and sat down.
“Monica! Don’t you remember?! Think about it!” I tried thinking my hardest, I never knew anyone by the name of Monica. She just sat there looking at me. I thought some more, I did know one, but it couldn’t be her. “Monica Jackson?” I didn’t realize I had said it, it just came out. She mocked “Look how smart you are, you figured it out all on your own. You aren’t seeing things, I’m right here in front of you.” How was she here? She died five years ago, if she had wanted to talk to me, why did she do it so late? “W….w….what are you doing here?” I said with my voice shaking. “Oh isn’t that sweet, you have no idea. My family is still sitting at home mourning because of you! I was their only child! You had to go and screw it all up with that party. I could be the one still dating Steven!”
“I didn’t make you come, I invited you and you came on your own.”
“Oh really? So all that pestering and nagging wasn’t you trying to make me come so you could kill me after?”
“You were my best friend! Why would I do that? I wanted you there to celebrate with me; I didn’t know they would ruin it all.”
“They? You mean to tell me that you weren't the one who drove me off the road?”
All these years she thought I did it? I was at home waiting for her call that she got home safely. I had no idea who did it, they later caught the people who actually did it and they were people never before known to me. That’s what she was doing all these years, she was getting her revenge. Slowly scaring me until she eventually made me snap. She just sat back and watched me suffer, some best friend. We continued to bicker for an hour, it felt like four. My nerves running wild the whole time too scared to move, wondering what she had planned. Trying to end what was happening I said “What do you want? You successfully scared me, you’ve gotten your revenge for something I didn’t do, why are you still here then?” She laughed very high pitched, it shattered my glassware. Right after that the glowing left April’s eyes, her expression went flat, and her body fell flat on the floor. I rushed to her side seeing Monica leave the house. I had seen her disappear before but never leave the house. Did this mean she was gone for good? I called 911 right away but before they could answer April awoke. She knew nothing about what had happened, she assumed she slept on the floor. I gave her the biggest hug but she pushed away confused and told me to make breakfast.
I can’t believe this was all about revenge, how could anyone be so cruel? I haven’t seen her since, the man who did drive her off the road mysteriously died yesterday. I have a feeling I know who did it. I turned around and said “I knew you did it, I’ve missed you so much! Where shall we start Monica?”