Great Escape | Teen Ink

Great Escape

By Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Dust particles sparkle in the sunlight beaming through the musty window, dancing in the light like they were ballerinas for a show. I dash through them forcefully, scattering the tiny dancers across the room and ruining their perfect form.

Breathing deeply, I turn the corner and skid to a stop, my shoes squeaking against the floor. My head sharply darts from side to side, looking for any way of escape. Swishing in front of my face, my chopped bangs blur my vision as I look for a way out.

Stop. Think. I’ve been cornered, but that doesn’t mean there’s no way out. Before I have a chance to catch my breath, I hear a bang from behind me. I swiftly start down the hall, my pant quickening as my pace seems to slow. My legs begin to feel numb as a sharp pain emerges in my side.

Fluttering like a hummingbird’s wings, my heart pounds in my chest. I extend my hand to the wall and touch the peeling wallpaper as I run. The maroon paper flurries softly to the floor like snowflakes in frigid December air.

Soon, my fingers bash against a golden knob. I come to an abrupt stop, my entire body shaking as I wrap my slender fingers around the cool metal. It clicks as I snap my wrist to the right, opening the door and making my way through.

The room is dark with long, purple curtains lining the windows. There is no furniture except for a lone chair sitting in the middle of the room.

I go and sit in the chair and rest my chin lightly in my palm. Closing my eyes, I think about the room. I imagine it in my own mind. Releasing all of my thoughts, I focus on the room around me. My head lolls from side to side, wobbling slightly on my neck.

A flash before my closed eyelids, and I jump up. Standing before me is my enemy, the one who has been stalking me all this time. He holds a flashlight in my general direction, and begins with deliberate, steady steps towards me.

I stagger backwards, trying to regain my focus and survey the room around me. Hanging curtains in front of windows. A single chair stands lonely in the room. Not having time to think through my situation, I shove the seat forward, catching my assailant’s knees. He grunts and pushes the chair aside, stopping for a moment to recover from my attack.

I spin around and grab the bottom of the window, praying that it will open.
It does.
I hop through, touching lightly on the ground below. I sprint away, hearing the lion behind me continuing the hunt for his prey.

All of the neighborhood kids cheer as I bolt past them, making my way towards the large oak tree across the street. Slapping the bark, I let out a long, deep breathe; the game is finally complete. The whole crowd erupts in thunderous applause, yelling about me defending my title once again. I grin as I turn around and see everyone so jubilant that I’ve succeeded for another year in a row.

“Congratulations,” the lion roars in my direction as he approaches the crowd, “But just wait until next time.”

Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Basically, it's a story that has misdirection. The whole time you think it's an intense chase, but in the end, it's actually a kid's game. Hope that helps, and thank you! :)

laxjox said...
laxjox, Lincoln Park, Michigan
it's  nicely writen but i don't really get it.