The boy and the rose | Teen Ink

The boy and the rose

February 28, 2014
By Nyson PLATINUM, Orlando, Florida
Nyson PLATINUM, Orlando, Florida
33 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy" -Norman Vincent Peale


On a quiet sunday afternoon a young boy no older than seven was finishing up a masterpiece. You see this child had a gift, a gift that his parents didn't believe. He was an extraordinary painter far surpassing that of any free lance street crawler with a brush. His works were said to be on par with some of the greatest renaissance artists that lived.
Sadly his parents however gave him no moral support since his dad was always flying around on business and his mother never even glanced at him. She always criticized his work saying it was nothing more than scribbles yet did she ever look up at the pieces...of course not. This frustrated the boy immensely, who was she to critque him when her eyes never left that ungodly portable television she loved so much.
This latest piece however...this piece would make her see for sure, see just how much she failed as a true mother and how much she didn't know of her precious gift. With a stroke of a brush here and there and the occasional point now and then he stepped back in admiration of himelf. The door downstairs opened and the boy smiled one could say...almost manically, as his fathers heavy footsteps rang through the house. The man stepped in his sons room and nearly heaved at the smell, though he chalked it up merely to the boys clothes being strung up everywhere.
With a sweet smile the boy hugged his dad and called out in joy "daddy!!". As the man swung his son he looked at the painting and to say he was impressed would be an understatement. For he was staring at a beautiful crimson rose painted in the format of cubism, a feat that made it look mosaic and vibrant to it's bold coloring.
The boy smiled wider and thanked his father for the kind words but that smile would not last long. The father asked where his son's mother went to and for a moment you almost saw a look of fear on the boy, however the boy prepared for this. He explained she wanted to help him out and went to go get some paint from the crafts store, thank goodness this satisfied the man as he shrugged and went to his room.
The boy exhaled the deep breath he held and smiled maniacally once more as he went into his closet. "Well mother" said the young boy in a dead tone "looks like we were almost found out, which would have been terrible given I'd hate to lose my new shade of red". The mother said nothing...not even a nod...for she could no longer speak...move...or breathe. Yes sad to say the woman met an untimely end but was reborn...in the form of a rose...


The author's comments:
yeah it's slightly disturbing i know, but hey give me credit for the first horror fic i've written