Bitter Sweet | Teen Ink

Bitter Sweet

February 22, 2014
By GoldBlood BRONZE, Manorville, New York
GoldBlood BRONZE, Manorville, New York
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I ran as fast I could out the cabin. Jefferson tried to keep up. Unfortunately, he was an asthmatic. Sheena's track star experience aided her, and she flashed past me within an instant.

As I stutter step trying to avoid tree branches and ticks, Jefferson fell. Both Sheena and I paused our race. We tried to help Jeff back on his feet. “I can’t breathe, “he whispered. All of a sudden, the hell wakening gallops came to a silence. It’s completely dark now. You can’t see anything beyond the people in front of you. But for some reason, Jeff and Sheena's facial expressions were clearer than the skies in the Sahara desert. I saw the horror, the shock, and the awe in the innocent faces. Jeff, while gasping as if his chest was getting pumped, pointed. His finger trembled down, then I took a mere glance over my left shoulder.

It moved from one tree to another within a microsecond, silently. She then appeared face to face with mean. It was when I saw her eyes, I realized she wasn't human. I crawled backwards, over Jefferson's fatigue-wounded body. Her eyes followed my every movement. I blinked, and so did she. Sheena threw a rock at her, then took off stumbling. She roared with such a vigorous tone, but it had a glorious harmony at the end. The phantom beast had a human body structure, but claws for fingers, vibrant teal eyes, fading gray hair and a half-eaten cheek. She stood tall as an NBA power forward.

Only with a little bit of down time, I quickly got up and zoomed in the trail Sheena took. Jefferson was left behind. As I’m running away, I heard a loud scream. Still to this day, it repeats louder and louder every time. I did a double take, and saw the female beast with Jeff's torso in one hand and his legs in the other. This was only recognizable because her bright eyes laminated my path.

Suddenly, she appeared behind me. Sheena was nowhere in sight. As I tried to out-run the monster, I got swiped into a tree. The force felt like a tidal wave hitting my side. I fell to my knees, only to surrender and to prepare myself for the end. The monster cocked back her talons. The final blow was about to be dealt, but god willingly, I woke up. No more junk food before bed for me.


The author's comments:
A piece I did that was out of my comfort zone. Enjoy and rate !