Secrets of Time | Teen Ink

Secrets of Time

By Medic BRONZE, Manti, Utah
Medic BRONZE, Manti, Utah

Jaci woke up suddenly, startled by the violent shaking of the fuselage. She rubbed the sleepiness out of her eyes and looked out of the small window next to her seat. She watched as the wings of the plane slowly bowed up and down against the wind.

“We are heading into some turbulence. Please, for your own safety, remain seated.” A voice announced over the intercom.

It had been five hours since she had left her hometown in Tampa, Florida. She was headed straight for Portland, Oregon. This is what she had to do; she had to set everything straight again. She couldn’t keep living with all of these secrets that have been holding her back from a normal life for so long. When Jaci was 8 years old her mother had passed away. Ever since then, nothing had been the same with her family. After all, her dad did rob one of the largest, most successful banks in America. He was a known criminal all around the world and Jaci felt that it was time for her to reveal the truth. Nothing would ever be the same, but at least she would be able to spend some time with her dad before he was gone.
Jaci breathed in heavily and laid her head back against the seat. Startled again by the violent shaking she sat up and gripped onto the arm rest next to her tightly. She squeezed her eyes shut until the plane had safely passed through the storm.
It was 3:00am when the plane had safely landed. She cautiously walked through the maze of people and headed straight for the exit. She was very aware of the high security around her. This was a risk that she had to take. She pulled her hoodie over her head and walked into the restaurant nearby.
“Hi miss, what can I do for you today” said a waitress standing in front of her.
“Do you have a bathroom I could use?” Jaci said while looking around cautiously. There was too much security; she needed to get out of site quickly.
“Of course.” The waitress replied cheerfully. “It’s just down the hall and to your right.”
“Thank you.” Jaci replied back softly. As soon as she pushed the bathroom doors open her phone rang.
“Hello?” she said carefully.
“Jaci, it’s me. I know where you are and so do the police.” Frustrated and confused, Jaci recognized the voice that was speaking to her. It was her dad.
“Leave the restaurant immediately and meet me down the street behind the nearest pawn shop.” She began to talk but the call was suddenly lost. Jaci turned around quickly and ran out of the restaurant pushing through the front doors. “How could he do this to me.” She thought to herself. “How did he find me and how do the police know where I am?” A million questions flooded through her head. She didn’t let anything stop her. She sprinted down the street, anxious to see her dad come out of hiding after so long. She wondered what it would be like. Jaci felt furious, anger raged through her. She turned around the corner and almost ran into her dad. Everything paused for a moment. She stared at her dad and he looked at her. He still looked the same the last time she saw him although, much more rough. He stood there in the shadow and reached out his arms. Jaci backed up and began to cry. He walked up to her and held her.
“Dad, why are you here; what are you doing?” she furiously began asking questions while tears streamed down her face. Her father breathed in heavily but did not reply. Jaci loosened her grip and pushed his arms away from her.
“After all those years, after you robbed that bank and now you’re one of the most wanted men…why have you shown your face now?” Jaci suddenly became very worried.
“Jaci, listen to me carefully.” Her father replied cautiously. “I didn’t rob that bank; it wasn’t me…but that doesn’t matter right now. What matters is that you get out of here. This was all a set up; not only have I been framed for not only robbing a bank but also for murder. You cannot get involved in this! You need to leave; the police will be here any minute.”
Shocked by all of this information her father had just unloaded onto her, Jaci covered her hands over her mouth and began shaking her head side to side-no. “I don’t understand” she began to say.
“There is no time left for me. I must be taken for all of this to end. You no longer need to live in fear for your life. Once I am gone, you will be safe.” Trembling, her father looked up at her with sympathy.
Suddenly the police swarmed in on the area, lights of red and blue flashing everywhere. Alarms began to go off. The police, along with their German Sheppard’s, began running toward them.
“Leave now” her dad ordered, tears began to swell up in his eyes. Jaci hugged her dad one last time and slowly she turned around and began to run. She ran as fast as she ever had before. She took one last look back and they were all gone. Everything was gone…she was left alone to start over…a new life. It was then she realized what her dad had done. It was the only way; he turned himself in so that she would be safe. Suddenly she felt that it was her turn to do something for her dad. It was her turn to step up. She couldn’t just let her dad take the blame for something that he did not do. She swore to herself right then that she would find out who was framing him and who set this all up. Tears began rolling down her face; all these years and she never knew that her dad was only protecting her. She walked down the dark street slowly; wiping the tears from her eyes when suddenly she saw a small piece of paper wedged in-between the road and the streetlamp. It was a neon piece of paper, easy to locate. She picked it up and read it.
If you’re reading this then there is still hope. The man who set this up is also the man who set up your mother’s death. He is still out there and he knows what he is doing. He has targeted our family for reasons that I do not quite understand but soon will find out. You must find him. 228 Park Avenue South. New York, NY 10003-1502
-Sincerely,

Dad