Trust Me and Run | Teen Ink

Trust Me and Run

November 8, 2013
By chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
― A.A. Milne


Hand in hand with my father, we walk down the aisle. The rose petals are gathered by my dress's train. As we reach the end, I join my almost husband and my father's eyes meet mine before he turns away. We nod at each other subtlety, only us knowing what will happen next.

Two months ago, I got a call from an unknown number. I was told by a robotic voice to arrive at a warehouse in the next city over at exactly 5:39. I arrived a few minutes early, scared. As a librarian in an elementary school, I was almost excited for some mystery. My fiancé was on a business trip, and I knew he wouldn't be calling. I looked at my watch, and the digits quickly told me that there was no turning back. It was 5:40. A figure moved out of the shadows, and I almost giggled. It kept walking towards me, and didn’t stop until it was just inches from me. This person was almost unreal. There was nothing to it. Something about it didn’t settle with me. Then I realized that this thing had no smell.

It spoke with the same robotic voice that called me to the warehouse. It told me that I had to murder sixty people or else I'd be killed. I smiled a little remembering that we had only selected sixty people to attend the wedding. The figure obviously didn’t like the smile. It told me that not only would I die, but everyone at my wedding would die, too.

I push away the memory and look into my lover's eyes. I couldn’t tell him, but I told my father. The ceremony starts. I am distracted. When we kiss, officially married, I whisper to him to run away. He looks in my eyes, trusting me. My father holds my mother close. I squeeze his hands and push him away. He starts running, and the bullets start flying. He stops, but, in the end, he couldn’t bear to look.


The author's comments:
I was given the last sentence, and had to piece together the rest of the story.