Back home | Teen Ink

Back home

By Rachel Wheeler GOLD, Lewisville, Texas
Rachel Wheeler GOLD, Lewisville, Texas

I pick up the screwdriver laying in front of me as I'm covered in blood with tears rolling down my face. My companion, my love killed by a monster. The low rumble of its voice shakes the ground around me. I am curled up with my knees to my face under the dugout landscape. The screaming creature gets louder and louder, praying on me. The big three clawed dried up foot lands right in front of me shoving the dirt further up my tan shorts. I wince in fear and slap my hand over my mouth, panting harder than I ever have in my life. It got really quiet, the foot was still, a tear rolls down my cheek and the roof of the land caves in around me. I sqworm, my hands flying in all directions, my legs cramp up and my blue eyes grow wide as the dinosaur’s figure comes into focus. I'm paralyzed in my position, I can't feel my legs and arms are plastered in muggy dirt water. My long brown hair is sticky and lathered in blood. The dinosaur slashes at my leg leaving a large gash with blood streaming out. I scream and grip my leg, my fingers melt through the wound leading into my raw skin, the blood dripping down my arm. I crawl to my feet, thinking of nothing but my life. I had to get back to the vortex, it was my only way home. I grab the branches of the trees around me pulling my way through the brown forest. The pain from my leg was killing me, the sharp pains. I could feel the skin flapping against my leg, rubbing my pink layered cut together. The roar of the monster follows my through the trees, Its feet shakes the ground making it hard to run in a straight line. I can see the white portal, my mind goes elusive. I am set on getting back to my time, I can almost feel the pull of the magnetic field. I'm less the one hundred feet away from the swirling light. I reach my fingers out to touch it, my heart racing. Everything was quiet, I was no longer panicked, I didn't see the light any more and I couldn't hear the dinosaur. It was completely dark not a single noise rang in my ear. I couldnt remember what the dinosaur sounded like or why I was running. A hand runs down my back, my love stands beside me smiling and gazing into my eyes. It was like seeing an angel, so beautiful.