Hidden Treasures For A Teen | Teen Ink

Hidden Treasures For A Teen

August 22, 2013
By hipstcalista BRONZE, Litchfield, Arizona
hipstcalista BRONZE, Litchfield, Arizona
4 articles 4 photos 1 comment

“BEEP BEEP BEEP!” the nearby alarm clock roared.

Smacking the snooze button, Ana grinned ear to ear.

All her life, this day awaited for Anna. The day she gained full wizard power. Most teen girls fill with excitement for their Super Sweet 16, Prom, or the day they earn their driver’s license. However, Ana was different. On her 16th birthday, she was excited to become a full wizard.

10 AM, and Ana was already dressed and ready for the day. She zoomed down the stairs, and into the kitchen. Expecting balloons, confetti, and a birthday cake, she was deceived. As she peered around, everything was the same as yesterday. No “Happy Birthday” banner, no party hats, and not a single person in sight.

The front door then creaked open, and her mother spoke, “Oh you’re up. Lets get this initiation test started.”

“Initiation?!” Ana inquired, “Test?!”

“Duh, if there wasn’t a test, there’d be abuncha’ idiots waving dangerous wands around.” Her mother replied.

Disappointed, Ana sighed and asked, “So are we still havin’ a party or what?”

Her mother answered, “Only if you pass the test”

“And what if I don’t?” Ana asked with concern.

“Gotta go,” her mom uttered, “Test instructions on the table.

Ana’s mother ran out the door, and Ana proceeded to the dining table. There was placed the a paper.

She read it aloud, “Your future. You may be standing upon it. Though your key is closer than you expect. That key is a shovel. Your future is where you’re standing now.”

Ana dropped the note in the direct spot that she was standing, and she rushed to the garage. As she entered the garage, she snatched the shovel and ran back to the kitchen. Next, she picked up the note and began digging into the tile. Though this may seem impossible, it seemed as if that particular spot in the kitchen was made of sand.

THOINK!

Her shoveling came to a halt, as it struck a metal box. She then reached two feet underground, to pick up the box. She attempted to open the box, but it did not even budge. Again and again, she tried to pry open the box. After one last attempt, another note fell from the bottom of the box.

She read this one aloud, “Shoveling is quite strenuous, so treat yourself to a massage. Head over to the spa on 67th street.”

“I thought this was a test,” she spoke to herself.

Shrugging, she decided to follow the orders. She stepped out into the world, and skipped towards 67th street. When she turned to her left, a dark figure appeared. Once she took a closer look, she realized it was a large masculine man, wearing a black mask.

She began speed walking, and so did he. She began running, and so did he. In that dilemma, she knew to scream for help.

“HELP! HELP!” she called out.

No answer, so she turned back to face the man. He then jumped onto Ana, and they both collapsed onto the cemented side walk, with a THUD. Within seconds, the box magically opened, and a red musical recorder flute floated into the air. Ana pulled it into her grasp, and decided to play a tune. It was her only choice, and she remembered reading about the magical recorder in her “Wizard 101” text book.

In the next moment, two women, with wings and a magic wand swooped over. One casted a spell on the kidnapper, and took him away with her into the midday sky. The other took the magical recorder from Ana, and she locked it into the box. As she flew away, she dropped a note.

Ana caught it and read, “ So massages aren’t your thing. Lets take you to the park instead, but this time there’s a catch. If anyone sees you, your wizard powers will be lost forever.”

Sitting on the blood stained sidewalk, Ana lifted up the box. This time, however, she could actually open it. Inside were five items, but the only one that stood out was the crystal ball diamond. She remembered studying this in her wizard training glass. In that class she learned that if you insert the diamond in your mouth, you turn invisible. Once you take it out, you return back to appearance. She popped it into her mouth, put her hands out in front of her , and saw only the sidewalk beneath her.

When she made it to the park, she saw two children playing tag. Out of nowhere, one of the children came dashing towards her. They collided, and Ana was plunged into a hole, dug into the sand box. She continued to fall for two minutes. It was as if she was falling down a never ending pit. She closed her eyes, in a frightened feeling.

Before she could open her eyes, she heard screaming.

“SURPRISE AND CONGRATS!” Ana heard.

She opened her eyes, and noticed she was standing in the two feet deep hole she dug up, in her kitchen. Around her was all of her family, and they held a banner stating: “Surprise and Congrats!”

Her mother inched towards her and congratulated, “Great job! Now, I give you your most important 16th birthday present of them all. She grabbed the box from Ana, and opened it.

“You are presented with a red magic recorder to signal fellow wizards when in danger, a crystal diamond for invisibility, a seashell which contains all spells, a flowered bell used to pause time, and this key necklace to open this box whenever needed. With these supplies now invested in you, I pronounce you an official wizard, Ana!” Her mother announced.

With a grin on her face, she placed the key necklace around her neck, and rang the flower bell.

“Being a wizard is hard work!” she exclaimed. “I’ll just pause time to sleep.”

She then stepped into her bedroom, set her alarm clock, and snoozed off into her dreams of her new wizard life. -or to have a nightmare about her black mask (almost) kidnapper.