A familiar stranger | Teen Ink

A familiar stranger

By JorJorBinks BRONZE, Blah, Oklahoma
JorJorBinks BRONZE, Blah, Oklahoma

When life gives you lemons you yell at it "Who the heck told you i wanted lemons!"

No one knew what Mckayla did as her profession, no one really asked and she never really told. Someone once in an elevator had asked her, making small talk and she had simply replied the marketing business. On another occasion, a first date she was asked and she told the man she owned a small clothing store in New York. Things didn’t work out.
Maggie Burdet never pried much into the life of her best friend. They respected each other’s personal lives and frankly it seemed like Mckayla’s motto was “Don’t work and tell.”
Maggie smiled as she and Mckayla ordered another drink talking about weekend plans and laughing at inside jokes. Eventually the fun ended when the pub they were at started to clear out, it was near closing.
“It’s been so fun getting to see you!” Maggie said hugging Mckayla goodbye.
“I know, I want to see you again soon!” She told Maggie and they walked off to their cars. Maggie stepped into her Porsche and drove home. When she got home she fell on her suede couch and slid off her heels. She thought for a second she heard a strange noise outside but dismissed the thought quickly and ambled into the kitchen for a glass of water.
She saw a shadow creep across the tile and she spun around but saw no one.
Crouched behind a table, the masked intruder hid. Maggie set the glass down and started to walk back into the main room, but from behind she was grabbed. A gloved hand grasped her mouth and the other held her arm forcefully, pinning it behind her. Maggie’s free hand elbowed the side of the intruder but the grip of the attacker didn’t loosen.
Maggie felt a sharp kick in the back of her calf and she fell to her knees as a sharp dagger was plunged into the center of her neck. Her body fell lifelessly to the floor with bright red blood trickling out of the gash. The intruder picked it up and escaped through the same open window it entered through. The assassin trotted into the distance to dump the body maybe even burn it. But the body was never seen again.
A month later after calling the home, Mckayla drove to the house to pick up Maggie for a girls day. They hadn’t hung out in a while and it was time. But all Mckayla saw was piled up mail at the doorstep.
Having a bad feeling, Mckayla filed a missing persons report. And Maggie was never found. But Mckayla knew why she was never found. She shoved the familiar black mask into the back of the drawer. She was deciding what to wear and it would certainly not be that. Opening her closet, a regular person would see a mass collection of weapons. Guns, ropes, tools, and knives; but to Maggie all she saw were her everyday work items.
She got a call from her boss and listened then reply “Of course I can assassinate at 1:30 I’m completely free. I need my money for the last job though 3 grand right? I’ll pick it up at about 1:45. Yeah I can be that quick, thanks.” The Assassin said and hung up the phone, clinging on to a billion secrets.