The Woods - Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Woods - Part 1

By Annabel-Lee SILVER, New Ulm, Minnesota
Annabel-Lee SILVER, New Ulm, Minnesota

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."

Ty didn’t want to die. That much she knew.

Her heart was beating faster and faster. Okay think, she thought. There has to be a way out of here. But Ty did not know where she was. Or who kidnapped her.

Ty heard footsteps above her. Basement she thought. Arms stretched outward, Ty felt her way around the room. She felt her way to a wardrobe, opened the heavy doors, and crouched down inside.

She heard a door open, followed by shouting.

“I don’t know! This is not how I had planned this!”

The voice belonged to a man. A Young man. “Ty?” He asked.

How does he know my name she thought. Ty didn’t move a muscle. She heard the man descend down the stairs with caution. Slowly Ty opened the wardrobe a crack. His back was towards her.

“Ty, this isn’t how it was supposed to go. You don’t have to be afraid of me, I’m not going to hurt you.”

Without realizing it, Ty snorted. The man turned around and looked her dead in the eyes. Ty gasped.

“I’m going to go back upstairs,” the man said. “I will the leave the door open and you can come up when you are ready.”

Ty watched the man head towards the stairs. “My name is James, by the way,” he said.

She sat in the wardrobe for seconds, minutes, hours, Ty didn’t know. How strange she thought. She pushed up from the floor and stepped out of the wardrobe. She slowly walked her way up the stairs, not making a sound.

James kept his word. The door was open. She pushed the door all the way open. Ty found herself standing in a kitchen.

This is the first draft...I had a dream where I was kidnapped and ended up falling for the man who kidnapped me. It seemed like a great idea for a short story.