When will she be back? | Teen Ink

When will she be back?

By Ashira SILVER, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Other
Ashira SILVER, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Other

I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I COULDN'T!

As he sketched three faces on the back page of the tattered notebook he swore that he would find them no matter what. He would make them pay for what they took from him, that he treasured more than anything else in the world. She was taken cruelly from him just a week before their marriage. That was when everything started.

They were out in the Bahamas for their wedding and had decided that they would have it out there rather than a boring home wedding. Megan was lying out in the sun while David was splashing around in the pool like he was a little child again.
“David, stop it, you are getting me all wet!” Megan laughed as she retreated to a safe distance from the pool.
“Sorry, darling, you looked as though you needed some water.” David said as he pulled himself out of the pool and ran to Megan. He got her in a big wet bear hug and she squealed.
“Get off me! You are all wet!” Megan squirmed out of the embrace and ran off towards the house. David let her go and didn’t make a move to follow instead he plopped himself down on the sun bed and picked up the book Megan had been reading. He tried his best to dry it off but the ink just smudged so he gave up and put it in the sun beside him. He was just drifting off to sleep when suddenly he heard a scream from the house. David leapt up and ran along the sandy path to the house. He was too late. There was the sound of a motorboat starting up at the jetty and he saw the sleek blue motor oat just disappearing round the edge of the bay. In vain he gave up and went back to the house to see if every thing was ok.
“Megan where are you?” David called as he ran desperately through the house. Lastly he came to the bedroom. It was a mess. The balcony doors were open and the curtains were fluttering in the breeze. On the floor lay Megan’s diary. It was tattered old leather bound book that David had given her on their first date. He picked it up carefully as it lay in a pool of shards of the shattered mirror. David knew he shouldn’t but he couldn’t help it. He read.

March 25th
Everything is great. I am excited about the wedding I also found out to day something very special. I haven’t told David yet but I don’t know when it is right. I will write it instead so at least some of my joy has been released. I am pregnant! I can’t believe it!

David almost dropped the diary. Megan was pregnant. She couldn’t believe it? He couldn’t believe it. The wind blew in through the open doors and turned the page across to the next day.

March 26th
I know they are coming for me. They won’t leave me be until the end. I am so sorry David, if you ever read this and find that I am gone. They have taken me back to where I belong. Please don’t come looking for me. I wish they would stop. My life is so perfect with out them coming for me all the time. I have to go they will be here soon, lets hope it is after the wedding.

David frantically turned the page until he reached the final entry of that day. It simply read:

March 27th
Time to go they are here. I am sorry.

David skim read the rest of the diary. It always said the same thing. “They are coming.” It gave no description at all of who they were. David gave up and closed the diary.

He walked out on to the balcony and found three ropes had been thrown up. So there were three of them, good to know. He found a smashed picture on the floor of Megan with the Eiffel Tower behind her from their trip to Paris. He picked it up and slipped it in the back of Megan’s diary.

“I should be married by now.” David said wistfully as he sketched three faces on the back page of the tattered notebook, he swore that he would find them no matter what. Once he was done all he could from his memory of that day, he put the book away next to his heart. He pulled out the now rather battered photo of Megan and the Eiffel Tower. He stroked Megan with his thumb before kissing the photo and replacing it back in his pocket.
“I will find you.” David said as he patted his pocket, “I promise.”

Used as my old exam from an English paper.