Isolation's Edge

I thrashed violently in the powerful current, as I was running out of air. The anchor hook clung to my foot, piercing my ankle bone. The water turned from a beautiful ocean blue, to an infectous scarlett. Bubbles started to form as I gasped. It started to grow dimmer and dimmer. I managed to disconnect the hook, gritting my teeth in agony, and plummeted into a deep, dark abyss, as I ran out of air.

Bam! Bam! Bam! My eyes pried open to the sound of a gunshot. What was that? I awoke as I washed upon the rocky shore. Whoosh! The air grew weary and frigid as the turquiose Pacific Ocean rushed against my skin. I coughed out blood, turning the grainy sand, into a bright crimson red in a matter of seconds. Where am I?

The skyline was a sluggish dark gray. Ominous dark clouds were starting to form. Odd enough for a caribbean island. I struggled to rise from the sand. "Goddamn it!" I cracked my back, clucked my tongue, and withdrew a conch from the ground.

I whisteled into the conch. A beautiful sound rung through the trees, vibrating through my eardrums. There wasn't a reply, not a single soul. I tried again, but I still didn't hear a reply.

A voice rang in my head, as still as a whisper. "Who are you?" A frigid chill ran down my spine.

I sighed. "Harrison Benegon."

The threatening voice snickered. "Is that what you think? Harrison Benegon?"

"I suppose." I sounded doubtful at first, but cleared my mind. There's no need of that right now. Avoid all inner thoughts. By the time I reached where the trees were, I started to question an odd sound, almost like someone was almost screaming.

CRASH!! My body trembled as the roar of thunder ripped across the horizon, sending ripples of adreneline from head to toe. I gazed at the the sky and squinted at a distant object, and it seemed to get closer and closer by the second.

My heart pumped faster and faster till the point that I needed to do something fast. Orange-yellow flames started to burst extravagantly, vivid brightness. It seemed like an airliner!

As it traveled above my head, I was shock in awe. The wind grew brutal, and the palm trees flew back. The plane screamed and screeched as it took a complete nose dive into the shallow water, and I had sprinted through the vast trees.
One

The leaves scratched against my skin as I raced against time. By the time I reached the other side of the island, I heard the crackling of flames. I erupted from the maze of trees and stared at horror itself. Colors flickered against the waters reflection, flames scattered across the dark blue ocean.

There wasn't anything else I could do but sit and watch. I brushed my fingers through my hair and sighed. I can't imagine the horrors of those people when the rush of fire burned against their skin.

What a bad way to die, I just escaped death itself with the ocean nearly killing me, but I do suppose it's better to drown, then to burn. I dropped down on the sand.

"Seem's they didn't make it out alive," a femine voice spoke from behind me. My hair rose like a porcupine. I turned around slowly and cautiously, with my mind screaming a solemn, "NO!" I appeared to merely be a teenage girl about my age, with wavy scarlett hair, bright lime green eyes, and she appeared to be very attractive, even with her clothes in tatters. I jolted back.

"Jesus! You scared the crap out of me!" I said.

"Sorry 'bout that. Let me properly introduce myself. My name's Scarlett." She talked smoothly, a lovely Aussie accent in her voice. She held out her hand for a handshake.

What is she doing on this island? How did she get here? I wanted to ask her plenty of questions, but I was absolutley speechless. I forgot to hold my hand out, because she reminded me with saying,"Quite the silent type, aren't you?"

"The names Benegon. Harrison Benegon." I spoke. Goddamn it, I sounded like Ian Fleming's James Bond. "How did you get on this island?" I blurted out.

" 'Same way as you did."

I stared wide-eyed at her.

She managed a chuckle. "I'm only kidding!"

"No, but seriously, how in the name of hell did you get on this island? I got here from a boat wreckage, nearly died in the process."

"I don't know, I just woke up as I washed onto the shore. I don't really remember though."

I bit my lower lip in worry. She ended up the same way as I did, except I knew what exactly happened. She seemed way too happy for some reason, almost as if she was too excited. Maybe she's hiding something....

"I'd like to know more about you, Mr. Benegon. You seem interesting enough to pique my interest." She said, blushing fire engine red.

I withdrew a breath. "Well besides the fact that I'm fifteen, I have short brown hair as you can already see, I'm 5'10, and I like to do things on my own."

I turned towards the trees and stomped off into the wilderness, instantly knowing, that I needed her help, and without her, I'm just as good as dead, but I didn't want to admit it. Especially to a pretty girl.

Pimp.QueenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like the swearing (:< .......this was good!

KJ-loveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really good, and well written... I think the guy sweears without need, but other than that its a great story... Mabey great enought to continue.