Reach | Teen Ink

Reach

March 21, 2013
By 98Blondies98 BRONZE, Lovely, Virginia
98Blondies98 BRONZE, Lovely, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just when the Caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a Butterfly."


Her face floated farther down into the water, blond hair drenched in curls faded in the darkening water. Her eyelids were closed softly, eighty-nine long, black eyelashes fanned out over the tops of her color-drained cheeks. Her cheeks had lost their laugh, and her sweet lips had lost their smile. Because she had lost her life.

It wasn't an accidental drowning or a prank gone wrong, it was planned. Someone had planned the kidnapping, picking her up on the side of the road, pretending to be a classmate. The murder, silent and quick. And her final resting place, in the middle of Alou Lake.

Tangled in vine-like aquatic plants she looked utterly beautiful. The bloodstained edges of her denim colored vintage dress floated around in the depths that were only maintained by the fish. Glimmering scales mirrored her nail polish that had remained intact; glistening in the moonlight was the small diamond ring that had held its place on her ring finger. A reminder of a marriage she would never have. The rope marks on her wrists were close to gone, only tender, pinker flesh would leave a hint of the twelve hours she spent in captivity. But the largest mark on her body was the two inch heart carving her killer had formed over Jeanette's heart, then sewn together. A free flowing piece of art, an exact replica of the one they drew in her senior class yearbook.

The only thing missing from the girl was a small and simple locket with the five-letter engraving; Reach.


The author's comments:
I wrote this short story in an attempt to capture the essence and mystery of death and murder.