Alone, or Not | Teen Ink

Alone, or Not

February 25, 2013
By desicating_damsel PLATINUM, Plainfield, Illinois
desicating_damsel PLATINUM, Plainfield, Illinois
23 articles 18 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was always fascinated by people who are concidered completely normal, because I find them the weirdest of all."
Johnny Depp


Alone, I am completely alone. Walking through the dark dismal shadows an eerie silence hangs thickly in the air. No sound, not even the patter of my feet on the icy cold cement. No sound, except for me. My thoughts are screaming in my mind, my head feels like it’s going to explode. I’m used to the darkness, and the silence, for I am always alone. As I walk through the blackness of life, something strange happens. I hear something…. The faint playing of a flute. At first I thought it was just my imagination, but as I continue walking the sound increases. Growing louder and louder, I seem to be moving closer to the music. I can see a dim light in the distance. I stop walking, I just stand there.

I’m scared, scared of this strange new thing. Some people fear the dark, because they were born and raised in the light. Fearing the unknown is natural, for me the unknown is the light. This is the first time I have seen anything like it. I wait for my eyes adjust, then I summon my courage and continue walking. As I draw closer, I see the light is coming from a circle made of twenty four burning candles. In the middle of the circle is a young girl. Her eyes are closed, she is wearing a long white ground, sitting on her knees, with the silver flute pressed to her lips. She doesn’t stop or move when I approach. She has long maple brown hair that runs down her back and over her shoulders. Finishing the serenade, she opens her eyes and looks up at me.

Her eyes are completely white! She just keeps staring at me, not blinking, or saying a word. I think she might be lost because I have never seen her, or anyone for that matter, around here before. I am about to ask her why she’s here and where she’s from, but I stop. Suddenly her thin eye brows arch and she glares at me like I did something wrong. She brings her flute back to her lips, and begins to play a different melody. The tune is now sharp and harsh, instead of soft and sweet. While she’s playing the candle flames flicker, like she is sucking all the oxygen out of the air, but I feel fine. Then the flames are extinguished.

Her milky white eyes begin to glow. She stands, and begins to float into the air. The girl changes the flute’s tune once more. This time, I feel like I’m sinking. The ground swallows my ankles, and I can’t move. I scream for help, but I know no one will come to my rescue. Until today, I thought I was alone. I fall awkwardly, and begin to sob. The first time I see I’m not the only one in the darkness, and this child scares me into tears. I fear the girl, and am ashamed to say so. This makes me cry even harder. She starts laughing. A cruel, cold laugh that could freeze Hell itself. I’m going to die. I can’t think of anything but the horrible laughter that surrounds me like a tornado. Her pale eyes burn into my soul, I’m on the brink of death. Then it stops. The silence and darkness return. I sit on the ground, too confused and petrified to move. Her laughter still rings in my ears, I can feel her eyes. The ground returns my feet to me and I curl up into a tight ball. I used to think I was all alone in the darkness, but now I’m not so sure. I can’t help but wonder; if I’m not alone, Who else is here?