Rush. | Teen Ink

Rush.

December 18, 2012
By Creativity_1995_William GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota
Creativity_1995_William GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota
12 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Why do stuff today that can be put off 'til tomorrow? ~Squidward Tentacles~


Rush
Andy had been infected. He was bitten by one of those freak, mutant zombies. Calvin, Julie, and Andy were walking through the forest when a huddle of zombies came limp-running through. Luckily, the group passed them by, except for one, who came and bit Andy. Calvin beat the skull in while Julie patched up Andy.
It all began about three years before. The zombies all started in an isolated location in western Oregon. The mutant virus had been detained in the isolated, but Calvin, Julie, and andy wandered too far and they were quarantined within.
Now, stuck in the wilderness, they knew one secret of the isolation. There was an abandoned hospital, which they had already located.
They walked to one of the only clean rooms, that wasn’t destroyed or bloody or gut covered.
They strapped him in, in case if he mutated to no return. They did leave one hand untied.
Julie did a quick search and found an old refrigerator stocked with water bottles. The refrigerator had lost power years ago, but the water was still good. She walked back to the room and handed Andy the water bottle to the hand that was left unstrapped.
Julie, the leader she was, got up and told Calvin, “I’m going to look for clues to find the safe with the antidotes.” Calvin nodded and stayed with Andy.
Julie started walking down the hallway to the front desk. She looked at the primitive looking computer behind the desk.
The simple 1980s’ computer hummed as she turned on the monitor, realizing the computer’ tower was never shutdown.
On the desktop was a black background with green letters. The green letters flickered and formed a list. She clicked down to ‘Map and Building Info’.
Appearing on the screen was a pixelated map and below was the hospital’s information. She clicked print and took it off the printer.
She rushed back with map and information in hand. She came in the room to see Calvin against the wall and Andy was foaming at the mouth. His eyes, with large pupils covering most of his eyes, were yellowing. His skin was decaying and mahogany shaded red-brown with a hint of yellow.
“Julie!” Calvin yelled, “Let me see the map!”
Julie handed him the map. He looked for the safe symbol when he saw a gun shaped symbol, and there only was one. It was a gun safe, down one level, “Julie, stay here, i’ll be back with a gun.”
Calvin ran down the stairs and found the gunsafe and the keys hanging on the wall. He opened up the rusty, green gun cabinet and discovered two .44 Magnums and 40 rounds. He loaded both guns and started towards the stairs when he heard a scream, Julie’s scream. He sprinted up the stairs and found her crying and her arm bit. And was freaking and going wind to unrestrict himself to finish his human feast. Andy was now full-blown mutated.
He helped her up and got her bandaged. “You sit here.” he commanded, “Cover your ears.” Julie, confused, did what she was told. Calvin pulled out his gun and shot Andy in the head three times.
With the hospital quiet, Calvin told Julie, “I am going to search for the antidote, you wait here and get rest. I’ll come back with the antidote.” With that he took the map and hospital information and left Julie alone.
Calvin looked at the map. There were six safe symbols on the map. He thought he should start at the fourth floor, two floors up. He took the rickety elevator. He took it up, and it was rough. He got to the fourth floor and the doors creaked open and he walked out. The doors slammed shut and Calvin heard the elevator plummet to the bottom of the elevator shaft with a loud, dying crash.
He moved down the hall that the map indicated. Once at the indicated room, he was bombarded by two mutant zombies chewing on the bones of a decayed nurse. Excited to see new flesh after 20 years, the zombies charged at him.
Calvin fumbled with the magnum and shot a whole round within five seconds dropping them the the floor screeching and screaming. He reloaded and made sure they were finished.
He kicked the dead, twitching bodies out of the way and walked to the safe and saw the giant combination lock.
He looked at the information below the map. It read:
‘Fourth floor safe -- includes emergency water, emergency kit including non-perishable food, and mutation antidote.’He read further for any numbers that could be the possible lock combination. Athe the bottom it read: ‘The St. Mary’s Tumble Town Hospital closed 11-1983.’
He turned the combination lock, slowly and suspensefully to the right to 11, then quickly to 19, and lastly and carefully to 83.
He graciously turned the handle and a vacuum packed push sound let Calvin know he was successfully opened the safe. He grabbed three filled syringes that contained the antidote and some water. He turned around to leave when he suddenly and shockingly saw Julie.
She was nearly completely mutated. Calvin got the syringe ready, but before he could inject her, she bit in his neck, severing his jugular vein.
Calvin died. Julie’s whereabouts are unknown.


The author's comments:
Isolated. In a world of zombies, you never know when or where one may get you. You are never safe. And there is only one antidote, could Andy, Calvin, and Julie find it?