The Basement | Teen Ink

The Basement

By Audrey McKeefry BRONZE, Wausaukee, Wisconsin
Audrey McKeefry BRONZE, Wausaukee, Wisconsin

The Basement

“Okay Sweetie, I’m off to Grandma’s house,” Mary-Jane hollered from the back door to her husband. She rushes out to her old and rusty Volkswagen. She takes her cold keys and puts them into the side of her steering wheel, then turns the heat on so she’ll have a comfortable ride to Grandma’s. She backs out of her driveway and onto the highway.

Nearly five hours later, she reaches her destination. She takes her key to Grandma’s front door out of her neatly kept purse. She twists the key and opens the door. She goes further inside and shouts for Grandma. “Hello! Hello? Grandma?” Grandma doesn’t answer. Mary-Jane figures that she is out getting groceries. Mary-Jane feeds Mr. Whiskers, Grandma’s little black kitten. After, she sits at the couch and watches some scary movies. She is about to start her movie when she decides that popcorn would be nice. She goes into the kitchen to find some and sees that the cat has eaten something small, perhaps a rodent. Maybe Mr. Whiskers doesn’t like the food that was given to him. “BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!” yells the perfectly cooked popcorn. “Now I’m ready.” She walks back to the couch and starts her movie. It starts to rain very vigorously. She thinks to herself “Perfect, now I have to put a bucket under every hole in the roof.” So she pauses her scary movie and puts a bucket under all thirteen holes. She goes back to her movie and chomps loudly on her popcorn. She starts to hear thunder and hail. She jumps every time she hears a crack or thud. Mary-Jane, now frightened to the point of almost wetting her pants, checks the weather channel. The weather man said to rush to the basement, otherwise you and your house will be swept up in the worst tornado ever seen.
She takes Mr. Whiskers and runs to the basement. She turns on the radio and a battery powered lamp. She can barely see anything. She sits and fumbles with the little knob on the side of the radio, desperately trying to find a news station. She does, eventually. She turns around and looks up. She hears a strange noise from across the room. Almost like a heavy breathing. She brings the lamp as she crawls across the floor to the other side of the room. She bumps her head on the ladder that was oddly placed just above her. She looks up and she can hear the breathing noise a lot louder now. She is very scared. But she has nowhere else to go….She’s trapped. She looks up further this time and sees the outline of a very large man. He has a fedora on his head and a huge wool jacket on.
“Are you okay?” She whispers.
All she hears is a loud breathing noise. She asks again. He grunts loudly. She goes a little closer to examine him, see if he’s hurt, and such. She sees a glimmer of something in his hand. She shines her lamp on his deformed and creepy face. His face was wrecked by a school fire when he was 10. He tried to save everybody and ended up getting hurt. People were saying that he was the cause of the fire. He never went back to school again. Never talked to anybody. He was alone. He was so mad about what the people he saved were saying about him that he decided to go back for all of them. He would stalk them and murder them in very gruesome ways. She knew this boy. She went to school with him. She remembered all of the hellish stories, like how he was coming back for everybody who made up lies about him. She was very scared. She knew why he was there...she was the one who started the terrible lies. He stood up. Oh so tall. She shut off the light and crawled quietly to the other side of the room. She waits. All of a sudden, the kitten starts meowing at her. He knew exactly where she was. She could hear the sleek sound the machete made as he took it out of the side of his jacket. He took one huge swing and misses. He takes another and another. Closer and closer every swing. She still sits there. Frozen, in shock. One more swing and….

My teacher, Mrs. Martens, assigned us to do a fiction piece so I just let my imaggination run.