Her Creature This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He was a strong, sleek, beautiful animal. She loved to show him off at her frequent and lavish dinner parties, such as the one in which she was currently engaged. Her laughter rang out, sweet and melodic to her guests. To him, this laughter covered up the true woman inside. A careful sort of look-away-my-dears-and-laugh-with-me type of laugh. She laughed this way often. But never to him. When she laughed to him, it was a laugh one makes while finding pleasure in someone else's pain.

She turned now and snapped her fingers once. “Come here, dear boy, where are you?” she let out another girlish giggle as her guests sat forward in their seats. From the shadows of the stairs he regarded her coolly. He would procrastinate, wait for her second snap, and then he would calmly approach her as if he were prepared to do her bidding. This was his life. Or rather, her life for him.

As expected, the second snap came briskly, within seconds of the first. (Come! Now, or you'll bleed for it.) She thought to him. His golden gaze shuddered, and closing his eyes for a split second, he opened them and stepped out obediently. He went up to her and allowed her rough petting.

The guests oohed and aahed, each aching to touch him as she did, but without the courage to do so. Or perhaps without the foolishness to do so. Maybe they simply had more intelligence, a mind that warned against this thing, this creature, that clearly was divine and did not belong in such an environment.

One bawdy guest stepped forward with a laugh like that of his mistress, yet what it held dear and hidden was different. This laugh concealed, as it well should, fear. The guest, a young woman with flashy gems adorning her throat, knelt near him. His eyes slit, turning from shimmering gold to stormy brown with hints of jet black. His jaw lowered just enough to show the tips of long, hard, glossy teeth. The guest patted him quickly on the head, barely touching him at all really, and then stood, smiling uneasily, and briskly returned to her seat.

(Mistress, do you wish anything else?) He thought to her.

Her response was swift. (What do you think, mangy animal?)

One guest's voice rose slightly. “My, what scars he has! What would dare attack a creature such as he?”

(Only you dare attack, Mistress. Will you tell her so?)

She smiled tightly. “Oh, he gets into fights all the time. I can't keep him out of them! He was in one just this morning. I had to save him.” The guests squealed in fright over their hostess's intervening in a fight between this creature and something else so daring as to provoke this creature.

(You lie too well, Mistress.)

(And you cannot tell the truth either, so we are at a stalemate, no?)

(Perhaps.) He watched her, fixing his now pale yellow gaze upon her as she carefully and daintily shoveled food into her mouth, answering queries between bites. The guest closest to him noticed.

“Darling, he looks so hungry. Do feed him so we may watch!”

His mistress laughed again and explained that he can only be fed outside as he is such a messy eater. (No dinner at all if you continue to stare like that!)

(I have not eaten since this time yesterday eve, Mistress.)

(Do you think I care?)

(Do you want me dead?)

(Mangy animal! You will live, you ungrateful wretch.) She slammed her fork down indelicately.

(Indeed. Indeed, I will live. Will you?)

Her cheeks were turning a deep red and a sheen of angry sweat shone on her forehead. She struggled to keep her composure. Her guests noticed and suddenly were in an adoring uproar about her, declaring that she looked ill and should lie down immediately. She played along, all the while feeling uneasy in the gaze of the animal. The guests apologized for her sickness and promised to check with her tomorrow. She nodded stiffly and agreed to lie down.

Only when she reached her room did she look for her animal. Aloud she said angrily, “Come here, you dratted thing!”

He more than obeyed. She screamed in fear as she glimpsed the fire in his eyes while he leapt, paws flared out. She glimpsed eyes that were a shocking bronze, flashing metallic burgundy. His huge paws landed on her chest, knocking her down. (See if you whip me again.) As he lowered his head, her shrill screams died quickly.

The man walked quickly to the newspaper stand and grabbed a copy. “Anything interesting in the news today, Arnold?”

Arnold peeked from behind a stack of paper-filled crates. “No, sir, not ­really. Oh! Oh, yes, I forgot! Page seven! You must read it! Most outrageous! I met the thing myself once. It looked trained to me, though husky and scarred like a war veteran. Read and let me know what you think on it,” Arnold declared.

The man nodded and laughed, barely hearing what the paper man was saying, but flipping to page seven anyhow. As he walked away, he skimmed the headline: SOCIETY WOMAN KILLED BY PET. He slowed down, a strange look crossing his shadowed face, and ambled over to a bench to sit, reading further in the story of the wealthy woman who lived alone with her large trained bobcat, which one night turned wild and killed her. The cat had ­disappeared much to the panic of the town.

Idiots, he thought. Who would dare try to tame such a wild animal?

He shook his head and dropped the paper into a trash can as he stood to continue on his way. Some people, he thought, as he stepped off the curb into the street. His golden-bronze eyes flashed to copper in the sun. Some people almost don't deserve to live.

Quartermaster This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:54 pm:
I liked how you rounded out the pet's character. He's calm, submissive, and self controlled in the beginning. Then he commits murder and is unrepentant, a chilling contrast. The matter of fact and cold way the pet talks shows the reader whose really in control. I like that the pet's a bobcat, but bringing a bobcat to a lavish dinner party stretches it just a little. Maybe she brings him to a different kind of party? Great story, I really liked it. 

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:46 pm :
Thanks! I intended it to seem strange to have such an animal at a dinner party, actually. I did that to show the woman's confidence in her tamed "pet". Thank you though, for commenting. :)

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing. Seriously, awesome job. Congrats on getting it published in the magazine; you deserve it.

Dec. 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm :
Thank you! Comments like this are some of the reasons I still bother to make time for my writing. I love it; but life interferes. 

Padfoot507 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Kessssssss I just wish I had your talent. You. Are. Magnificently. Skilled. Keep it up please!! :D

Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:59 pm :
...I think that just made my whole day. :D I will try endlessly to meet your expectations. haha thank you so much! I just wish that I had more time to write nowadays. 

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! I loved the ending. Great work! :)

Nov. 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm :
Thank you! I wrote this back in June I think, so having this sudden burst of attention because it's on the Fiction page was really unexpected and welcome. Getting compliments is even better. :) I have a more edited version that's also more graphic, but looking back I always feel like this one has a raw feeling that works better. Think it could be improved? I've rewritten it three times, haha. 

PurpleTesoro said...
Wow Amazing! Haven't read anything like this its really appealing and intersting and it kept my intrests. Great job and countiue to write!!

Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm :
Thanks! Will do!

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:50 am:
Hey, for anyone who rates my story below a 5, would you please tell me why in the comments? Someone rated this a 1, I'd really like to know why. What can I do to make it better?

werty5loveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm:
I love how he transformed for her. It was really interesting.

Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:14 pm :
Thanks! I like the Twilight Zone stories, so I guess I naturally added a little element of those into it with the ending.