From A Killers Perspective | Teen Ink

From A Killers Perspective

By NickM. BRONZE, Ocoee, Florida
NickM. BRONZE, Ocoee, Florida

It has been one year. One year since I came home to find my wife and children lying in pools of blood on our living room floor, dead. One year from this night that I tried desperately to save my family’s life even though I knew there was no life left in them to be saved. One year since I started hunting down the heartless man that killed my wife and kids. My name in James Walker, and I, for the first time in my life, am about to commit a murder.

A cool breeze weaved through the trees above me as I stood at the edge of a forest looking up to an old two story home perched high on a hill a few hundred feet away from me. I could tell that it was once a fine looking house. But now with a lawn over gown with weeds, and paint peeling from its unchecked face, it was the most unsightly house for miles around.

Dim light peered through the windows illuminating the surrounding lawn. I watched from behind a thick layer of underbrush as a dark shadow from inside the house moved toward a window to survey their property. When a nearby clock tower struck twelve, the shadow disappeared back into the light and I knew it was time to make my move.

I started toward the house, keeping a close vigil on the dim windows. I walked along the edge of the forest in an attempt to keep myself hidden. When the strip of forest ended I was forced to crawl through the thick weeds. I could feel the blade of my knife rubbing against my upper thigh, and the inflammation in my side grew in the spot where my gun met my hip. Before I knew it however, I was face to face with the oak front doors of the house.

I stood up and put my ear to the door, trying to get an idea of where the killer was. From what I could hear, they were up stairs.

Picking the lock was harder than when I was practicing. It took me three tries which was much longer than it should have taken. My nerves were kicking in.

I try keeping my hand steady as I move it toward the brass door knob. I pushed open the door and enter a small, muggy living room, lit by a single lamp. I know immediately that I am in the right house when I smell the scent of mold and air freshener. The same scent that lingered on my wife’s body when I found her.

I proceed into a dark hallway which leads to a flight of stairs. As I ascend to the second floor I hear movement, and I know I am headed in the right direction. However I can’t tell where the movement is coming from.

Along the hallway, all of the doors are locked. Almost like someone is expecting me.

When I reach the window at the end of the hallway, I realize that something is wrong. The only sound I hear is my own heartbeat, and I have the strangest feeling that I am being watched. It then becomes clear to me. I am no longer the hunter. I’m the hunted.

When I turn around to face the hallway, I have no time to react to the hooded man sprinting toward me. He crashes into me and I feel glass shatter on my back, and I am falling.

When I was a child I fell out of trees on many occasions. I would land on my back and the wind would flee from my lungs. The pain I felt then was nothing compared to the pain I felt now. It was as though my throat had sealed its self on impact and refused to reopen.

As I struggled for breath I could feel blood seeping from wounds in my back where the glass had pierced my skin.

When I gained the energy to do so, I got on to all fours and looked up. I saw the hooded man walking toward me like a spider coming home to its web. He stopped in front of me with a knife clutched in his hand.

Without hesitation I pulled the knife from my belt and jabbed him in the side of the leg with it. As he collapsed, he swung his knife toward me cutting a deep gash in my arm. The man’s screams echoed through the hills around us as I struck his thigh with my knife. He doubled over in pain and I saw my chance.

I tackled him to the ground and pinned him down. I needed to know something before I did anything else.

With the blade of my knife up to his neck, I asked, “Why them?”

The man looked into my face and recognized my children’s eyes in mine. He then smiled, “Because they were home.”

I smiled back, and thrust my knife through his heart.

Rhonda Bui said...
The detailing in this story is quite amazing. If you're goal was to reel in the reader you've done it! great job.

The_Ace said...
Really good story. I felt like i was really there. Love the ending.

BatMan32 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:21 am
The story was very interesting and i did not expect the ending to be like that....

borges99 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:12 am
Well done.The ending was very thrilling and well written.I also liked the irony of who haunted who first.

baller101 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:07 am
i love the story even the end when he found the killer and took revenge for his famly

Loyalty12 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:07 am
Great story overall.The ending was the strongest to me because it shows how important it was for Jack to get revenge.

loveINXS said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:06 am
loveINXS, Witchita, Idaho
This book/short story was quite compelling the first paragraph was not much of a hook but later developed into a wider exspance of creativity :) <3

pink1365 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:03 am
I like the story most of all the ending. also at the and i think that it will need to till more about the man that kill the man family.

Lopez123 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:02 am
The writing was very interesting! The begining really got my attention. (:

vc0203 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:02 am
I like how they described the stabbing of the knife. I like the suspense in the story.

on Feb. 19 2014 at 11:00 am
This story is very well composed and interesting. Especially the beginning, it gets right to the point where us readers would actually want to know what happened to his family. I love it!  

on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:59 am
I loved how the storie began because it was didferent from how other stories began. This strorie was very intesting to, it made me want to read more. The only thing i didnt like about is the end. Good job though

bluehorse said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:59 am
I really enjoyed this story there was some parts that could have  been a little better then they were. Another thing was when at the beging of the story he told his name and what he was about to do i thought it was suppose to be a mystery .

SharkButt said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:59 am
This is a great short story. I would combine some paragraghs to keep the length down, but overall it was fantastic.

Pdiaz_Here said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:59 am
I thought the story was very good. In fact i really injoyed reading it. As i was reading it i felt that i could feel the vitcums engery and worrie. So over all it was amazing, keep up the the great writing!

on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:58 am
i really liked it but there were some words that where misspelled so next time i would check the spelling

pickle11 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:58 am
This was a good story , i liked it alot . there was a twist , and it was intresting .

porcsha1234 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:57 am
This was a very intresting story many parts of the chapters caught my attention.

jhw18 said...
on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:57 am
it was a good story. i have to fill up two sentences cause my teacher is making the class post something here.

on Feb. 19 2014 at 10:56 am
Very good story, I love the ending (: