My Scream

I had to scream. It scrabbled at my heart, clawing up my throat like an oily black rat squirming to get out. My insides burned with the scars of unvented emotions, etched upon my soul.

The scream was a separate entity, trapped within me, and desperate to be free. I longed to shatter the silence of this quiet forest, to make the tree’s inky black shadows tremble, and the lake shiver with the strength of my voice.

I had been trained so long to be still, be mute, that it had made me invisible. Now I was free, and the demon of black rage and brimming insanity would be silent no longer.

I screamed, with every bit of my anger and resentment in me. With my eyes closed I was enveloped in the torrent of my reclaiming, taking back the will, which had been stolen from me.

When my throat had become raw and my breath run out, I fell to my knees and wept. Tears of joy, tears of sadness ached so long, and finally to cry, because once in my life I could.

My tears dried and I felt release, that scream had been my irrefutable liberation, pushing me through my last barrier of fear.

The bloody knife slipped from my fingers, it’s point lodging in the silty muddy ground. My captors were dead. I was free. All those nights of fantastical dreams had finally become reality.

I washed my blood and dirt caked palms in the cool, calm lake water. No guilt was harbored in my heart. I had been a prisoner far too long for that. My hands cleansed, I stood and turned with out a backward glance, walking into the forest, toward civilization and the promise of a life that was all mine.

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really needs  awarning like WARNING: all who read this will die from amazement and screaming like the title for more this i loved i love your imagery and everything so good job nothing to change but keep going

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow. There oughta be a warning at the bottom. It would read like this "REMEBER TO BREATHE, PEOPLE!"

SecretFlame replied...
thank you so much xD

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:54 am
Very well written. I'm able to understand what happened yet it still leaves me wanting more! 

Odessa_Sterling00 said...
Very great! I couldn't stop reading, it was really good.  Lots of details and stuff.  I likes it a lottttt.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

Mind .Blown

I can totally see why you ended up loving this.

I really like the description and imagery.

5 stars

SecretFlame replied...
Thank you!      

IamtheshyStargirl said...
Incredible!!!!!! The emotion is very powerful, unlike anything I've ever read. 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
It almost, on the verge of doing so, makes one want to scream long and powerful as well, from liberation and ecstasy.

SecretFlame replied...
Thanks!          

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What?! That's amazing! I was surprised at first, because the poem resembled a story, and then I read it, and I realized that it is a story, but one that's woven into a phantasmagoric string of poetry.  The description of emotions are stunning and intense. I really enjoy your style of writing! Keep it up!

SecretFlame replied...
THANK YOU!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 7, 2011 at 3:08 am
I read this before and reading it again just astounds me again! This is very, very good. The description is very well laid out. The piece flows well, and there's an aura of mystery that surrounds it. Honestly, I think that makes it better. You definitely described this scream perfectly, and I could feel the emotions from the character. :)

shadowrider replied...
I'm glad you liked it!

ItsAshMal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 10:18 am

Simply said, I love this. I refuse to muck it up witha longwinded comment. 

Favorite: "irrefutable liberation"
Least favovorite: "it scrabbled at my heart"

Kay... said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:44 am
Brilliant!!!

msp49 said...
I liked this a lot.  Usually people over do the adjectives in an attempt to make themselves sound smarter than what they really are, but you're not one of those people.  Your descriptions of the emotions worked and were very powerful.  Great job!

shadowrider replied...
Thanks!               

BorderlineGenius777 said...
 powerful. i really liked it.

CarrieAnn13 said...
Wow, this is wonderful!  You've improved it a lot.  Anyway, I have one criticism: it's should be its.  Other than that, this was a beautiful short story! :)