Get Away With Murder

RIP Rachel Nelson

My fingertips brush against the cold stone of the grave, and for a brief second I feel as if I am about to cry. I was, and still am, truly in love with her.

That was why I had to kill her.

Love is such a peculiar feeling. Those butterflies which never seem to go away when I was around her. That overwhelming jealousy I felt when she was innocently conversing with another man. The thoughts of her which never seemed to leave my mind. The feeling was absolutely unbearable, to the point where it made me feel sick to my stomach. I couldn’t stand it, and I knew that I had to put an end to it.

But how?

I had spent many sleepless nights plotting. I contemplated moving out of town and never speaking to her again or committing suicide. I had immediately shaken those ideas away as thoughts of her getting over me and falling in love with another man filled my head. If I couldn’t have her, I decided, nobody could.

She looked absolutely stunning that fateful night. Her brown hair fell in loose curls onto her shoulders and she had that smile which always made my heart melt. I took her hand in mine, giving it a small squeeze. I had almost changed my mind about killing her.

But the image of my hands around her pretty little neck seemed so delightful.

I became more hesitant over dinner which I had so carefully prepared. Her last night was going to be absolutely perfect. We laughed and talked about our past week, from our bosses to interesting movies we had watched on television. I ate my dinner quickly, because each second which passed made my hands sweat more and my heart pound a little harder in my chest. I knew I had to act fast to get the deed done.

I stood up and walked behind the chair in which she sat. I reached into my pocket, pulling out a diamond necklace which I knew would look beautiful on her. I placed it around her neck, and the gasp she let out told me she liked it.

I ran my finger down her cheekbone and traced her lips. I continued to run it down her neck until I reached the chain of the necklace. I placed my other hand on her neck.

And then I began to choke her.

Immediately she brought her hands up to mine, digging her fingernails into them. They indented tiny moons into my skin, though I did not flinch. I could hear her unsuccessful attempts to shriek, replaced with gagging noises instead. She kicked the table with enough force to cause one of the wine glasses to roll off of it, shattering on the floor into hundreds of pieces. I just tightened my grip. She stopped fighting and looked at me with fearful green eyes, glistening with tears. I leaned forward and kissed her passionately on her quivering lips, which were beginning to turn a lovely shade of blue.

“Am I hurting you?” I whispered in her ear.

My eyes then fell upon the shards of glass on the floor.

“Let me make it safe and sound.”

I remembered the way I held her hand, cold and limp, in mind. I hugged her, not minding the blood that was traveling down in tiny rivers and streams down her neck and across each one of her delicate wrists.

Red was a good color on her.

I waited until the latest hours of the night before carrying her home in my arms. Her door, as usual, was left unlocked, so I just walked right in. Ever so quietly, I crept up the stairs, as if being watched by some neighbor. Gently, I put her down on her bed and kissed her on her forehead before slipping out once again into the night.

Each passing day after the murder was filled with calmness. I knew that no one would ever expect me of the crime. Why would I, the love-struck boy, ever kill my beloved girlfriend? The bet going around about how long it would be before I proposed confirmed that there was nothing to worry about. Even she didn’t have the slightest clue, although she did look beautiful at her wake before they carried her away in her casket. Silly girl, hadn’t she heard that love was dangerous?

Getting away with murder was easy.

I gently placed a red rose on the side of her grave before solemnly walking away. I really do love her.

Now that she is six feet underground.

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:07 am:
Good narration. I think you could really benefit from reading Poe, if you don't already. 

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm :
I love Poe (hence my picture) :D

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm :

oh haha. I didn't see that :P

WishfulDoerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
As twisted as this is, it really is a well-written story. It gave me the shivers. I liked it!

Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm :
I'm glad you liked it, despite it's twisted-ness. Thanks!

immortal1290 said...
This is really creepy, but sort of in a good way. The perspective of the murderer is definitely...interesting. And it was well-written. Good job :)

Aug. 22, 2011 at 4:44 pm :
Thanks for the feedback!

rage_against_the_machine said...
Wow. I must say, this was great. Being a horror writer, I appreciate a disturbing story. And this was one, in the best way. Nice :)

Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm :
I love writing horror stories(: Thank you!

Musika said...
This was really interesting to read. I enjoyed how you described the murder and the reasoning of it. Though, I must admit it was a bit... disturbing. Overall, this is a well-written story.

Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:51 pm :
Thanks for the feedback!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 4:43 am:
I really like this story. It's kind of in a unique style, and easy to follow, also a bit disturbing. Good job though!! :)

Aug. 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm :
Thank you!

Livvy97 said...
I like the story, but I am not sure if I like that you stated, "That is why I had to kill her," at the beginning. It gives away too much of what the piece is about in the first few lines. Other than that I really liked it.

Aug. 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm :
Thanks for the feedback!

CarrieAnn13 said...
This is really disturbing in a good way.  But I just have one thing that doesn't feel right.  When someone is strangled, a bone in their neck breaks; there is no blood.

Aug. 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm :
I know there isn't, she wasn't bleeding from being strangled.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm :
Then why was there blood on her?  Sorry, it's kind of confusing.

tealbird said...
I thought this was good. It was kind of disturbing, looking into the mind of a murderer like that, but in a good way because of how well-written it was. (If there can ever be a good side looking into the thoughts of a murderer :D) Anyway, nice work!

Aug. 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm :
Haha thank you :D