School Nightmare | Teen Ink

School Nightmare

By Drummer_Girl BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana
Drummer_Girl BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

The narrow, marble-like eyes of the creature stared right at me. Its glare sent a tingle up my spine and left me motionless, not even able to take one step. It lunged towards me, snarling with its wolf-like fangs. I dodged its sudden attack and swung around to pick up my sword. The beast’s claws sank into the stone of the pathway like a knife cutting through soft butter. It raced towards me again, and I raised my sword above my head, ready to attack.

The school bell rings and forces me to escape from the fantasy world of my story. My pencil falls flat on the paper, and the surprise ending of the tale is left unfinished. Even I, the author, am longing to know how it ends.

“Melanie, let’s go!” Eric yelled. “We’ll be late for class if you don’t stop daydreaming!”

“I know,” I said.
Eric always tries to get my mind out of my fantasy world and back into the real world. Apparently, I’ll never get to know how my story ends. The only girl brave enough to take on a challenge, an adventure, will never get to become a hero.

“You don’t want to be late again, do you?” Eric asked, as I walked out of the door to meet him.

“I don’t plan to be late to class.”

“Sure you don’t,” he said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“Oh, nothing.”

The rest of our walk to the main floor is in silence. I know Eric was just joking, but what he says makes me wonder about what he really thinks.

“Let’s cut through the locker bay here,” Eric said.

“Oh, that’s right. I forgot,” I said, as we took a sharp turn into a sea of people. “I don’t like crowds, but they’re a lot better than walking past that freaky painting.”

“Definitely.”

“That scary painting is only good for one thing,” I said.

“What’s that?” Eric asked.

“My story. You’ve always wanted to know how I thought up those demon wolves. Well, that’s how.”

“Now I know that if those wolves in the painting ever come to life, I’d want the main character in your story to come to life too,” Eric joked.

“Yeah, you wish.”

The second bell rings, and I take my seat next to Eric’s.

“Everyone, open your text books to page two hundred and four,” the teacher commanded, and all of us followed his orders.

“Psst, Melanie,” Eric began.

“Shut up, Eric,” I whispered to him, motioning towards his text book to try and get him to read the assignment.

“Melanie, Eric, is there anything you want to share with the class?” the teacher asked.

“No,” I replied. I could feel my face turning bright red.

Eric snickers under his breath.

“You two are supposed to be reading right now. I’d suggest that you do that,” the teacher said.
`
I hate getting in trouble. I quickly turn my head to look down at the page and begin reading. I can still hear Eric quietly laughing. I glance over at him and shake my head. Before he can notice, a sudden noise makes us jump from our seats.

“What’s that?” I asked Eric. “We weren’t supposed to have a fire drill today.”

“I’m sure they just decided not to tell us. I think the teachers want to watch all the kids freak out,” Eric replied.

“You’re so dumb.”

“Hey, that can be hurtful,” Eric said with a smirk on his face.

I roll my eyes and turn around to face the front of the classroom. A voice booms over the speakers, and my heart jumps into my throat. I randomly flail my arms, accidentally punching Eric right in the stomach. I bring my hand to my mouth, hiding my giggles. It’s not funny, Melanie. You could have hurt him.

“Attention students and faculty! We have a severe emergency situation, so please begin evacuating the building!” the principal’s voice sounded over the speakers.

I look over at Eric, and he’s staring at me with a pouty face. He rubs the spot where I punched him.

“Oh, man up,” I said. “Get over it.”

“Fine, gees. Show a little sympathy,” Eric said.

“No.”

“Everyone line up single-file at the door!” the teacher exclaimed, after the principal’s voice could no longer be heard. He frantically grabs his classroom set of keys. “Please, stay calm!”

“That’s ironic,” Eric said, as we formed a line. “He isn’t calm at all.”

Eric’s statement makes me laugh as we walk down the hallway. He can always make the best out of a bad situation.
The siren still sounds, as we pour out of our classroom into a swarm of people. The noise echoes off the walls and bounces back into my ears. I begin to hold one hand up to my ear, which is now in pain. The high-pitch screech of the siren seems deafening.

“Too loud for you, huh?” Eric asked, screaming over the noise.

I quickly lower my hand and place it by my side. It’s taking forever to reach the exit. I’m beginning to feel the need to escape.

“Follow me,” Eric started. “I know another way out of here. You can think of it as a short-cut.”

“We should just follow everyone else,” I replied. “I don’t want to get lost.”

“Oh, come on. Don’t be scared.”

“Whatever.”

“This might be the adventure the character in your story needs,” Eric said.

The word “adventure” makes me want to follow him. The next thing I know, Eric is leading me down a flight of stairs.
?

I’ve never been in this part of the school building before. I feel like a new student wandering the building for the first time. It’s like I'm in some sort of maze. One wrong turn, and you’re lost.

“So, you’re sure you know where you’re going?” I asked.

“Of course,” Eric answered. “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Well, I could think of lots of reasons.”

“I don’t want to know,” Eric quickly added.

“Are we going into the basement?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“And, there’s an exit in the basement?”

“Yes.”

“No, there isn’t.”

“Sure there is,” Eric said. “Oh, wait, no, there isn’t.”

“Then why are we down here?” I asked.

“You don’t have to yell! I thought there was a way out!”

“Well, apparently not.”

I turn my back to him and start to make my way back up the stairs. The lights suddenly go out as the power goes off.

“What did you do now, Eric?” I asked.

“I didn’t do anything.” he replied.

My jaw becomes tight, and I grit my teeth together. Eric is so stupid. I reach down to try to find the railing, so I can pull myself up the stairs. I then hear a deep growl to my left and whip my head around to look in the direction from which it came.

“Stop trying to scare me, Eric!” I yelled into the darkness.

Eric doesn’t respond.

I can hear rustling near me. I begin to back up. Whatever is making that noise is getting closer. Goosebumps run up my arms, and I grasp onto the railing. Then, all is quiet. I stare into the pitch black room. I lean in, listening closely. A massive creature with blade-like claws lunges towards my face. I cower back and turn to run up the stairs. The animal follows, pounding its paws on the ground like thunder booms in the sky.

“Eric, help me!” I screamed.

I wait for a response, but it doesn’t come. I race through the hallways of the building. They’re empty, with no one to be found. This is one situation where a crowd would be helpful.

I charge past the painting on the wall, and something doesn’t seem right. I take a short cut through the locker bay, confusing the creature behind me. I give the painting my full attention, looking at every detail. My eyes widen, and I take off running. The wolves are missing, and I think I found one.

I need to find a way to defeat this creature. There has to be a way. I quickly decide to try and use the first object I see to get rid of the beast. A fire extinguisher. I run to the tightly sealed glass cabinet that contains it. It’s locked. I smash the glass with my fist and grab the safety equipment. I start running again to give myself a few moments to figure out how to use the fire extinguisher.

“Here, let me help you,” I heard behind me.

I hesitate before turning around, but I then realize that I recognize the voice.

“Eric, you’re alive,” I said.

“Of course I’m alive. Give me the fire extinguisher.”

“K,” I said, handing it to him.

Eric points the hose attached to the side of the extinguisher at the demonic creature. He then pauses.

“I don’t think I know how to use it either,” Eric said.

“That wolf is getting closer. Eric, watch out!” I screamed, shoving Eric to the side. I rip the extinguisher out of his hands and bang it against the ground. A white fog begins to spray out of the side, so I kick it towards the wolf. Instantly, the wolf disintegrates. Eric stands and runs to my side.

“How did you know that would work?” he asked.

“I didn’t. I just made a quick decision, and it worked,” I replied.

“It’s funny. You’re a lot like the character in your story. You’re a hero.”

“Thanks.”

“Now you have an ending to your amazing tale.”

I’ve never seen the painting the same way I did before. The wolves don’t have the same haunting glare. Their eyes don’t follow your every move. They’re farther off in the distance near the dark hillside. Seemingly harmless. Lifeless.

I wrote this for my creative writing class. We wandered around the school to inspire us to write this school-related tale.