He Went Out with His Boots On (Ch.1) | Teen Ink

He Went Out with His Boots On (Ch.1)

It’s funny what our minds choose to hold onto, and choose to forget. Phone numbers, schoolwork, dates, texts, times; all have slipped through my mind’s web without sticking, as if impervious to my mental adhesive. But I remember everything about March 17th, 2011. It can be argued that the trauma I underwent sharpened some inner focus, and that I went back and looked over the day that I would carry with me for the rest of my life. But I would like to think that I woke up that day knowing that something was about to change, something irreversible, something that would define me forever after. For better or worse, March 17th was the day I met Lars Odekin.

The day was gray and misty, the sun yet to grip the horizon and pull itself into the sky. I made my way to 1st period as the bell rang. The mist gently caressed my cheek as I walked, the breeze knifing it open and making off with my heat. I shivered and hunched my shoulders up to shield my face. I jogged up the steps of the two-story building, turned right and opened the door to Mr. Leyander’s 1st period psychology class. Mr. Leyander’s classroom is a dull tan color; the walls covered with posters intended to motivate me at seven in the morning. Yeah, right. I took my seat in the middle of the room, symbolizing my apathy toward the class. It’s not in the back, which would show a total lack of interest, nor in the front which would show enthusiasm. Do an analysis on that, Leyander. As I was thinking of him, he happened to walk in; bow tie blazing, breathing like he was just coming out of a 10k. I silently crossed myself, and began praying like h*ll for some sort of divine intervention, anything to spare me from a lecture. It’s funny; life is full of miracles, but never the one you want when you need it. Suddenly the door swung open again, a gust of wind sweeping papers off of the desks. A man in black entered. He was wearing jeans and a jacket, but what I was most taken with about his wardrobe was the thick pair of combat boots he wore. I decided right then that is what I would call him: Boots. “Alright, listen up,” Boots said.
I couldn’t tell you why, given ten minutes or ten thousand years why I thought this was funny. I almost burst out laughing. But I didn’t; mostly because handguns are a lot less funny, and my would-be savior was clenching a Glock-19 in his right hand.

My train of thought is a runaway freighter.

Someone must have screamed behind me, because reality came crashing down around me like a tidal wave. “Shut up, every just shut up!” Boots screamed. More pearls, honestly, there aren’t any gunmen with tact anymore. Mr. Leyander made a move towards the phone, but he caught the corner of Boot’s eye, and he pressed the barrel of the gun to Leyander’s forehead. “No.” he said; nothing else, just “No.” Boots waved his piece like a maestro’s wand, motioning everyone to the far side of the room. We hurried to comply. It’s amazing what a little lump of metal will do to a teen’s attitude; maybe the faculty should start packing heat. Boots slowly backed towards the door, then swiftly turned and drew the blinds. I heard the sound of feet on concrete, people probably alerted by the screaming. Boots cracked the blinds and peeked out. He licked his lips, then took a step back and squeezed off three rounds through the window. The glass exploded, tiny shards of glass falling in a crystal precipitation. Voices outside shrieked, and a flurry of activity could be heard outside.
“Oh my God,” I whispered under my breath. Boots turned towards me, but there was no way he could have heard me. Our eyes met, and he winked.

Just something I tried writing. Kind of short 1st chapter. Let me know what you think.

on Sep. 23 2011 at 9:41 am
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Excuse me while I prepare my impromptu remarks. -Winston Churchill

Tell it like it is, not how it was. -Jonathan

Break it down like a fine English double-gun. -R. Bitoni

Awesome, thank you for commenting. =)

Echoe BRONZE said...
Echoe BRONZE, Clovis, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Great voice.  The beginning was a bit slow, but it picked up immediately.  I'd advise maybe starting with the action, but the descriptions and voice make it hard to say.  If this were a book, though, I'd definitely turn the page.

Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Yeah sorry I forgot I posted anonymously. Thank you very much for commenting.

Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over a garbage can and says 'That's Punk'?, and I say 'No that's trendy'!"- Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

Nice! I had trouble finding it at first because it was listed anonymously, but here it is.

I'm very curious to see where this storyline goes.

Think4Ever said...
Think4Ever, Oxford, Alabama

"We loved with a love that was more than love."

And thank you for commenting on mine. =]

Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Cool. Thank you for commenting.

Think4Ever said...
Think4Ever, Oxford, Alabama

Great! Very descriptive.

Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Haha cool. Thanks for commenting

on Apr. 26 2011 at 8:09 am
MidnightWriter SILVER, Ontario, Other

Writers are a less dangerous version of the career criminal. Everywhere they go, they see the potential for the perfect crime. The difference is that writers have better self control.

Excellent. I enjoyed it.