He Went Out with His Boots On (Ch.1) | Teen Ink

He Went Out with His Boots On (Ch.1)

It’s funny what our minds choose to hold onto, and choose to forget. Phone numbers, schoolwork, dates, texts, times; all have slipped through my mind’s web without sticking, as if impervious to my mental adhesive. But I remember everything about March 17th, 2011. It can be argued that the trauma I underwent sharpened some inner focus, and that I went back and looked over the day that I would carry with me for the rest of my life. But I would like to think that I woke up that day knowing that something was about to change, something irreversible, something that would define me forever after. For better or worse, March 17th was the day I met Lars Odekin.

The day was gray and misty, the sun yet to grip the horizon and pull itself into the sky. I made my way to 1st period as the bell rang. The mist gently caressed my cheek as I walked, the breeze knifing it open and making off with my heat. I shivered and hunched my shoulders up to shield my face. I jogged up the steps of the two-story building, turned right and opened the door to Mr. Leyander’s 1st period psychology class. Mr. Leyander’s classroom is a dull tan color; the walls covered with posters intended to motivate me at seven in the morning. Yeah, right. I took my seat in the middle of the room, symbolizing my apathy toward the class. It’s not in the back, which would show a total lack of interest, nor in the front which would show enthusiasm. Do an analysis on that, Leyander. As I was thinking of him, he happened to walk in; bow tie blazing, breathing like he was just coming out of a 10k. I silently crossed myself, and began praying like h*ll for some sort of divine intervention, anything to spare me from a lecture. It’s funny; life is full of miracles, but never the one you want when you need it. Suddenly the door swung open again, a gust of wind sweeping papers off of the desks. A man in black entered. He was wearing jeans and a jacket, but what I was most taken with about his wardrobe was the thick pair of combat boots he wore. I decided right then that is what I would call him: Boots. “Alright, listen up,” Boots said.
I couldn’t tell you why, given ten minutes or ten thousand years why I thought this was funny. I almost burst out laughing. But I didn’t; mostly because handguns are a lot less funny, and my would-be savior was clenching a Glock-19 in his right hand.

My train of thought is a runaway freighter.

Someone must have screamed behind me, because reality came crashing down around me like a tidal wave. “Shut up, every just shut up!” Boots screamed. More pearls, honestly, there aren’t any gunmen with tact anymore. Mr. Leyander made a move towards the phone, but he caught the corner of Boot’s eye, and he pressed the barrel of the gun to Leyander’s forehead. “No.” he said; nothing else, just “No.” Boots waved his piece like a maestro’s wand, motioning everyone to the far side of the room. We hurried to comply. It’s amazing what a little lump of metal will do to a teen’s attitude; maybe the faculty should start packing heat. Boots slowly backed towards the door, then swiftly turned and drew the blinds. I heard the sound of feet on concrete, people probably alerted by the screaming. Boots cracked the blinds and peeked out. He licked his lips, then took a step back and squeezed off three rounds through the window. The glass exploded, tiny shards of glass falling in a crystal precipitation. Voices outside shrieked, and a flurry of activity could be heard outside.
“Oh my God,” I whispered under my breath. Boots turned towards me, but there was no way he could have heard me. Our eyes met, and he winked.

Just something I tried writing. Kind of short 1st chapter. Let me know what you think.

on Feb. 20 2022 at 8:09 am
kali73304 SILVER, Long Lane, Missouri
Wow! I was so engrossed in this story. I really loved the detail. I loved your writing style and the story was stunning.

on Oct. 21 2011 at 9:59 pm
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Excuse me while I prepare my impromptu remarks. -Winston Churchill

Tell it like it is, not how it was. -Jonathan

Break it down like a fine English double-gun. -R. Bitoni

Thank you so much

on Oct. 20 2011 at 8:12 pm
milforce SILVER, Bloomington, Illinois

"Those who have the ability to act, have the responsibility to act."

This was really amazing. Honestly, I forgot I was reading this. You're writing style fits the story perfectly too. Awesome job!

on Oct. 18 2011 at 8:27 am
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Awesome. Thank you very much for commenting on it =)

on Oct. 8 2011 at 2:48 pm
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Thank you. =)

khaox GOLD said...
on Oct. 8 2011 at 10:06 am
khaox GOLD, Nyc, New York

"Love is just a word: something meaningless. But in due time, you'll find someone to define it".

This is very captivating and stunning. It really draws the reader in with the description and I admire your writing style.

on Oct. 7 2011 at 9:30 am
BrokenTogether GOLD, Saraland, Alabama

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love...and be loved in return..." -Christian, Moulin Rouge

This is honestly one of the best pieces I've read on this site so far..it's great! I can't wait to read the rest

on Oct. 5 2011 at 5:41 pm
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Thank you so much, and thanks for commenting

on Oct. 5 2011 at 5:15 pm
TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes SILVER, Sunnyvale, Texas

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
- C. S. Lewis

Oh my gosh. This is really captivating! You have an interesting writing style and I love your description. :) 5/5!

on Oct. 4 2011 at 8:02 pm
ChocoMint SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana

"Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time." - Anonymous

"Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss and ends with a tear." - Anonymous

Great description!  I'm looking up chapter two right now!  <><

julian GOLD said...
on Oct. 2 2011 at 2:19 pm
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Wow! Your writign style is stunning,  captivating and beautifully composed. Not to mention suspenseful! I guess there's no choice but to read the second chapter!

on Sep. 30 2011 at 10:39 pm
introducingshelby GOLD, San Diego, California

"People change so you can learn to let go, things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they go right, and things fall apart so better things can fall together."
-Marilyn Monroe

That's gotta be one of the best, most suspenseful, thriller stories I've ever read; and it's not even finished yet! I REALLY liked this. At first, I thought, "what could this story even be about? Another stupid love story?" Oh no, this is wondderful :D Keep writing, hon, I'm glad you told me to check this out.

on Sep. 30 2011 at 5:42 pm
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Haha cool, thanks fr commenting. Chapter two is in the novels section now if you wanna read it. Same title.

on Sep. 30 2011 at 4:54 pm
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

You better tell me when chapter 2 comes out!!!!!!!!! Good job Keep writing!!!! :D

on Sep. 29 2011 at 5:35 pm
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Wow thank you so much!

on Sep. 28 2011 at 9:42 pm
I have to say....I already really like Boots. ^^ You're descriptive in your narration too, which is really nice! I look forward to the rest of your book!

on Sep. 26 2011 at 9:22 am
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Awesome =) thank you for commenting on it.

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Sep. 26 2011 at 3:04 am
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

THIS IS AWESOME! 5 stars! The descriptions are new and really creative, the storyline is gripping from the start! Love it!

on Sep. 25 2011 at 6:10 pm
Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Thank you so much for commenting. Ch.2 is posted in the novel section if you want to read it.

on Sep. 25 2011 at 3:37 pm
shinesoftly13, Narinia, Colorado
Wow! This is seriously good! Are you planning on continuing? I'd definatly read if you do :D