Time | Teen Ink

Time MAG

Every morning I wake up to the normal sun shooting through the left window, blinding me as I try to open my eyes. My dog, Donald, barks up a storm. He insists that every morning at exactly 7:04, he has to go outside. It really is starting to push my buttons. Can’t that damn dog just take a rest?

After I go outside for exactly 2.5 minutes, I realize I have to deal with my boss in exactly 48.6 minutes. I sit and moan for two minutes. Any more I would be late and any less I would be early: it has to be exactly two minutes. Afterward, I do my normal six-minute shower, three-minute shave, two-minute brush of my teeth – just like the dentist told me – and five minutes to figure out what I am going to wear ­today. That leaves me 4.5 minutes to sit and read The New York Times and moan about having to drive 20 minutes to a job that I can’t stand. Once I arrive, it takes 2.1 minutes to hear the lame story about what Ron, the guy two cubicles down, did last night and four minutes ’til I get to hear my boss complain that I never do anything right.

Spending 9.34 hours at my job, driving 26 minutes home (I hate traffic), taking two minutes to take Donald out and only getting 24.7 minutes to myself before lying down in my hard, cold bed and not falling asleep for another 12.5 minutes can really drive someone crazy. At least that is what my therapist tells me. But in fact it does not make you crazy; it makes everyone else crazy for not wanting to know how much time they actually have.

The thing that will make you crazy is if something goes wrong. Something that has been happening the same way for exactly 12.56 years. When that one thing goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. For instance, if you wake 45.8 minutes late because there is no damn dog barking for you to take him out. Which causes you to be late to work, because you have a 20-minute drive and only 2.4 minutes to get there. Then you ­decide in exactly 24 seconds that you have to call in to work saying you came down with something. But after the phone rings for eight seconds, the secretary tells you that something bad has happened and there will be no work today. You wonder for only one minute what could have happened, but then go and take a shower.

The shower is much longer than the normal six minutes. It takes two more minutes to wonder what is the red goop dripping from your body. Then it takes you two more minutes to realize that you probably just cut yourself shaving.

After 45.8 minutes of watching TV, you wonder where Donald is and what really happened today to call off work. You ponder this for 12 minutes, scratching your chin, noticing the red goop is also under your nails. You find that disgusting, so you walk steps, which takes you three seconds, to go wash your hands, for two minutes, in the bathroom that you never use. You look around for four minutes, noticing there is also red goop all over the walls. You quickly – so fast you can’t count the time – open the shower curtain.

In about seven minutes you realize you have to clean up. But suddenly there is a knock on the front door lasting for about four seconds. But you have to ignore it, you don’t have time, you have to clean up in six minutes. But wait, six minutes is too long. You need 4.5 minutes, but that’s too short. The knocking is getting louder and faster, every three seconds, it just won’t stop. You can’t stop either; you have to clean up, but the knocking ….

Crogirl said...
Crogirl, Brezovica, Other
Really good descriptions, you don't know what the story is really about untill the end, and then you realize that there were some hints...
Great job. I like how the character is psihologicaly very well descripted.

on Sep. 12 2010 at 9:50 am
Annieboo SILVER, Salt Lake City, Utah

Some one who gets tricked is a fool. Some one who trusts is an even bigger fool. But if you get tricked and tricked again...and still trust...that's makes you the best person to know.

I like how you used time for different things to pull it into your tittle.  By the way, it was really interesting to read.

theartgeek97 SILVER, Greenville, South Carolina
hmm...that really confused me at some parts...well, i'm not all that great at math so that might be why....try going in a bit more detail! Otherwise, i think the story's really great.

Kael96 PLATINUM, Shiloh, New Jersey

"Just a small town girl/ living in a lonely world/ took a midnight train/ going anywhere."
-Journey

This was incredible. No wonder it was published. I really enjoyed the constant number theme--it really  tied the story together. Wonderful work!

Jacob97 said...
Wow! Great Work, Katie

CiCiJoLee BRONZE, Moorestown, New Jersey

confucius mixes logic with poetic phrases. His quotes are like poem<3

wow. it get really intense at the end...lik omg clean up clean up then go answer the door! the ending is really good though in a way. To me it sums up the whole piece~ really unique

juliam PLATINUM, Windermere, Florida

All of us learn to write in second grade. Most of us go on to greater things

numbers numbers numbers! Geeze oh my... but great in a way too. :)

Interesting...

SilverspeakInkpen BRONZE, Prunedale, California

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.

awesome work!

CLC93 said...
I think I got it. Is this sort of like The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde where the main character is like Mr. Hyde? Did he kill his boss and the dog because they got on his nerves? Is that the reason behind the tragedy at work and what caused the red goop? This was good! :D

CLC93 said...

Darkchloe14 BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee

"Be Strong"

Oh God. What did you do to the dog?! Thats all I could think about at that last paragraph. That was FREAKIN' AWESOME.

on Jul. 31 2010 at 1:37 am
neubauRAWR GOLD, Calgary, Other

I want to hear you laugh like you really mean it-Snow Patrol
Without writing, you don't know what you think- Anonymous

Wow, this was really unique. All the numbers and time and events made the story suspensful. Your a very talented writer!! If you could check out my stories, I would appricate and value your input a lot!! thanks.

Hannahgee6 BRONZE, Greensburg, Kentucky

therefore do not worry about tomorrow. for tomorrow will worry about itself. each day has enough trouble of its own.
-jesus

haha. i know. me too. so what happened? i have to know the rest of the story.  its going to drive me nuts. haha. please keep writing!!!

xxzoE SILVER said...
on Jul. 21 2010 at 2:07 am
xxzoE SILVER, Ringwood East, Other

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. ~Henry Ward Beecher

THAT WAS GREATTT! OMGOSH I LOVED THAT SOOO MUCH!!! 

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

The therapist is right, that would drive ANYONE crazy. I think the point of the story is that the person is already crazy but isn't aware of it....am I wrong? Anyways, fantastic writing. Very unique and interesting:)

crzybookworm BRONZE, Highland, California

"The only thing to fear is fear itself."

Hmmm...Interesting... :)

Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

That was really good. And the 1984 picture was a good idea too. Keep Writing!

Eilatan GOLD said...
Eilatan GOLD, Old Greenwich, Connecticut

"Nobody is normal. Everybody in the world is a weirdo freak. Except you, which makes you a weirdo freak."

WOAH!!!!! EXTREME QUANTITIES OF AMAZING AWESOMENESS!!!!!!

learning2flyy, Weston, Texas

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Van Gogh

So good that i still havent figured out exactly what happened.