The Gold Trinkets | Teen Ink

The Gold Trinkets

By AngiePangie GOLD, Wappingers Falls, New York
AngiePangie GOLD, Wappingers Falls, New York

She was mad. Crazy, insane, mental I tell you. Something about the way she looked. The constant tapping of her hands, the gentle hum she always produced. Mad as she was, she was brilliant. The plans she thought up, the way she perceived reality was astonishing. She was truly unlike any other human being on this earth. She had a friend, Amelia, whom she simple adored. They had been inseparable since childhood. Amelia was always by her side. The girl’s parents worked over sea’s and they couldn’t afford a nanny so she stayed with Amelia and her family.

One day, at a party for a family friend, Amelia presented her with a friendship charm bracelet. It was gold, with little gold trinkets dangling down around it. Holding the shiny, gold representation of their friendship in her frail, pale hands, she started to twitch. It was the bracelet- no her insanity- no the bracelet. Who could truly say what was going on inside the young girl’s mind. In an effort to comfort her, Amelia reached out her hand and gentle stroked her arm. In a flash, the girl pulled her arm away while simultaneously grabbing Amelia's arm, squeezing it tight, her eyes growing wide. A low shriek emanated from Amelia’s mouth as she stood, motionless, in shock. Twisting her wrist, trying to escape the girl’s tight grasp, Amelia shouted and a tall lady scurried into the room. She gasped and then screamed for help. The girl twisted Amelia’s arm around, snapping it several times. Amelia screamed and fell to the ground. The tall lady grabbed the girl but she was too strong, in a flash, she had fled the party.
Sitting at home, shaking, the girl thought over what she had done. How fiendishly she had acted, how incredibly psychotic. She could not explain how peevish she had felt at the time, what had driven her to do such a hideous thing. How much worse could you get then to betray your childhood companion, braking her arm when all she had shown was kindness. She couldn’t take it anymore. The only thing she could do was finish the deed. Thinking, thinking of the perfect way to kill Amelia, she closed her eyes and waited for the ingenious plan to arise.
The next week, the girl went to Amelia’s house. Hitherto this visit, the two girls hadn't spoken. Reluctantly, Amelia let her friend into the house and they talked and had tea together. Little did Amelia know, the girl sitting next to her had a plan and her time on this earth was coming to an end. So simple yet so sagacious was her plan. While Amelia left the table to use the restroom, the girl slipped some poison into her tea, awaiting her return and her death. Once Amelia came back into the room, she immediately sensed something different about the atmosphere and questioned the girl. Her insanity took over and in the time it takes the second hand to go once around the clock, Amelia was gone. The deed was done. Amelia had been beaten down and killed by her dear, childhood friend. Ahaha! The secret feeling of guilt was gone from the girls eyes and she could rejoice once more.
The girl dragged Amelia’s body out to the back yard and thought of what to do with it. She grabbed an axe and cut her up into pieces. She then dug a hole and buried her body parts. She felt accomplished. Oh how wonderful, sensational, how amazing she felt. Who this girl was, you’ll never know. Whispering in my ear at this very moment, I hear a voice. “The girl is you”. It’s calling out to me. What is this madness? What to do!? Am I the killer? The insane girl?! I couldn’t be. No no, there’s no way. Or was there? I’m not the girl. But sadly, I am.

I wrote this for school and never really thought much of it until I recently re-read it and thought it was pretty good. It's based off of an Edgar Allan Poe type story. Hope you like it!

on Jan. 31 2011 at 7:03 pm
ooooooo.....so creepy. Good writing sytle, the story kept moving nicely.

jmisra said...
on Jan. 31 2011 at 10:39 am
Good job Angela!! I loveeeeeee the ending :)

btibbe said...
on Jan. 31 2011 at 10:02 am
I love the story! Post more!!!