One Last Time | Teen Ink

One Last Time

December 20, 2010
By COURTNEEEEY. BRONZE, Limerick, Maine
COURTNEEEEY. BRONZE, Limerick, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There ain't no troubles that we can't rise above, with a handful of faith and a heartful of love."- Tim McGraw, Carry On.


Today, I woke up, looking at my phone to see it was 5:16 in the morning. On a Saturday morning! I wasn’t exactly sure what I was doing up at this hour. I’m never conscious at this type of day. Yet, I was wide awake. So I decided to go grab my ouija board that I had just discovered that I had yesterday that I got for my 15th birthday. I’ve never used it, and I am now 17. Thinking I was old enough, I started using it. First I asked if he/she wanted to talk to me. I waited for about twelve minutes until I got a response. I saw the pointer go over the letters, “Y, E, S”. So I responded and said, “What’s your name?” It said, “G, R, E, G.” I waited a bit to respond while I was thinking. I then realized that Greg Weldon had just died at the high school two days ago. He committed suicide and no one knows why. I then said, “What’s your last name?” The pointer started moving over the letters, “W E L D O” then what seemed to be a pause for about 5 minutes, then added an N. Am I good or what? I couldn’t believe I was talking to a real spirit, I was so excited. Then I asked him why did he kill himself, I wasn’t expecting him to respond of course, because know one knew why. So I just decided to go into the living room to watch some TV. I flipped on the television and found a channel about ghost hunting, I decided to watch that for awhile until I saw my parents crawl out of bed. Then I just thought I’d watch some Hannah Montana re-runs! Just so my parents wouldn’t suspect anything.

It was around 8 am when I went back in my room to go do my homework when I discovered a note on my bed. I didn’t remember leaving anything there so I read it. It said,

“Because no one cared, and I didn’t have friends.”

I sat there wondering what that meant, then I remembered, Greg. He killed himself because he thought no one was there for him. People did care and he did have friends. I don’t know why he would think that. Some people are still sad at the high school. Which are mostly the people who dress in black and have nasty piercings everywhere they shouldn’t. They are nice for the most part, just don’t make fun of them unless you’d like them to ‘rearrange’ your face. Greg had other friends besides them, he was just an all around nice kid. He barely talked though so that’s probably a reason why he didn’t have many friends.

After just laying on my bed thinking for a while, I ran over and grabbed my ouija board and ran outside with it. Before I could escape, my mom yelled at me and said
“Brittany, where are you going and what’s in your hand?”
Of course I didn’t want to tell her the truth so I simply just said,
“My purse, I’m going for a little joy ride around the town, maybe some shopping.”
“Okay, have fun.” My mom said.

Woah, that was a close one. Since I totally lied to my mom, she actually thinks I’m going shopping but I’m going into the woods. Which is heavily loaded with many deer, also hunters. Technically, I’m risking my life to just talk to Greg one last time. It’s well worth it I think.

Right now I’m in the deepest part of the woods, grasping my ouija board out of nervousness. As soon as I sit down, I remember something. I told my mom I was going for a joy ride, yet, my car is still in the driveway. I have a reason to be slow, I am a blonde. So I wipe off my but and run back to the house, hoping before my parents notice. I get into my car, I drive it to my neighbors house and leave it there because I know that they aren’t going to be back for a month or so because they went to Florida. I stepped out of my car, and made a run for the woods once again. This time, I wasn’t getting up for anything. I wanted to talk to Greg. Just one last time. We’ve talked to each other before, but wasn’t that often. We were partners in Spanish to make a project together that came out fantastic. I just wish that I was closer to him before he died.

Since he responded, so was I. I then told him that he had many friends, like me. The pointer went over the letters, I, W, I, L , L B, E, R, I, G, H, T, T, H, E, R, E. I put it all together and that spelt out, “I will be right there.” I could feel my hands shaking, my palms sweating. I was nervous. I’m not sure what he meant by that, maybe I’m about to see a ghost? I then asked him what he means. He wrote “I, A,M, C, O, M, I, N, G, T, O, Y, O, U.” He’s coming to me? I’m scared but yet I’m excited at the same time, I can’t wait to actually talk to a ghost. I look over to my left and I see the leaves moving...there isn’t any wind. I then proceeded to say “Greg?” I heard a response, he said “ Hi, Brittany. I miss Spanish with you.” I was so freaked out, I could actually see him, as a ghost. It was so weird yet so cool. All I know is that no one would ever believe me.

“I miss spanish with you too, it’s not the same without you Greg.” I said.

“I’m really glad I get to see you again Britt.” Greg said.

“Yeah me too. I just wish that you were actually still alive.” I said softly.

“How is senior year? It really stinks that I died before senior year, that’s when I was going to let my true colors show and let loose.” Greg said walking towards me.

“True colors, what do you mean by that Greg?” I questioned.

“I was going to actually be more outgoing this year, have more friends, but then I realized that I doubt I’d ever get anymore friends and that no one would care, so I killed myself.” Greg said sadly.

“Greg, don’t even think that. Everyone misses you. I miss you so much. If you tried, you could have gotten many friends. Many people miss you, just look at what you did to your parents. They are just about in depression, they loved you.” I said.

“I never really thought of my parents, I just hated being bullied by other kids at school just because I was ‘different’ than what other people were.” Greg said.

“You could have told someone and gotten help. Teachers or the principal could of helped you Greg, you didn’t have to kill yourself. I miss you too much.” I said walking away.

“Brittany, you don’t even know what I was going through, everything was too tough for me, I couldn’t bare it. So, I killed myself. There’s no troubles up here, so I think I’m better off Britt, you’ll understand what I mean when it’s your time.” Greg said.

“Yeah I guess you’re right. I need to go Greg, my mom’s going to be looking for me okay?” I said.

“Okay, but meet me here again sometime, talk to me through that ouija board, I want to talk to you again.” Greg said walking away.

“I will Greg, I will.” I said whispering to myself.
I grabbed the ouija board and walked toward my neighbors house to get my car and drive home.

My parents didn’t even know I was gone, even though I told them already. What great parents they are. After I walked into the house I went straight to my bed to think about some things a perhaps use my ouija board to talk to Greg again. I want to make a deal with him to make plans to see each other everyday in a certain place. Which kind of reminds me of Charlie St. Cloud, the movie. He always met his brother who died in the woods everyday at the same time, which is what I want to do with Greg.

As I lay in bed to think, I learn something. Never judge someone from how they look. Like a did with Greg, just because he looks different then most people doesn’t mean that he himself is actually different. Which he wasn’t. He was a great guy who I wish I got to know better and not laugh at him. You never realize these things until something tragic happens. Don’t take life for granted, any day could be your last.

My parents gone out to dinner, so I have the house to myself. I’m going to go talk to Greg. I grab my ouija board and sit on my couch. I ask, “Can you come over now?” I got a response that said, “Yes”. So I waited a few minutes and I saw him sitting next to me.

“Thank you for almost giving me a heart attack.” I said laughing.

“No problem, so why’d you want me to come over? Is there something wrong Britt? He asked.

“Nothing’s wrong, I just miss you a lot and I want to make plans to see you everyday, is that possible for you? Like maybe after school?” I questioned.

“Yeah we could do something like that. How about after school every Tuesday at my grave?” said Greg.

“Sounds like a plan. I have to get going, talk to you later Britt. I miss you.” Greg said.

“I miss you too Greg.”

My parents walk through the door about three minutes after Greg left. That was a close call. I wonder what my parents would think if they saw me talking to a ghost? Or if they could even see him. I don’t even want to find out.

So I go get the ouija board and tell my parents that I’m going for a walk, but actually, it was Tuesday, the day I’m suppose to meet Greg at our usual place after school. I keep my promises, so I did it. We talked for awhile about how my life is at home and what it’s like to be up in so called “heaven”. We didn’t talk about much or for too long, so after we had an awkward silence, I told him I had to leave and left.

It’s been weeks since we talked. I’ve gone to our usual spot every day after school but he’s never there, so I just gave up, if he can’t keep promises, then I won’t even bother anymore. I miss him dearly, maybe he’s just busy up there with the man upstairs. I can understand that. I’ll see him again sometime, we all will see each other again someday. At least I hope so. I know I wasn’t great friends with Greg before he died, but since I can see ghosts, we are closer than ever. Which isn’t all that great. Being friends with a spirit, isn’t all that fun.

It has been 5 months since Greg and I have talked. I really wanted to talk to him again so I got out my ouija board one more time, and started using it. I asked it, Greg, are you there? I really want to talk to you. Something responded saying, Britt, I want to talk to you too, but we’ve had some really close calls and I don’t want anyone to find out about me and you and what your abilities are, so we can just talk through here, which I don’t like to do, it’s difficult for me so maybe we can just talk later because Brittany, I will see you soon. I then said, okay Greg, that’s fine with me I promise I’ll see you soon. I love you Greg and I miss you. Greg responded and said, there’s nothing to miss, I’m always here with you and I love you too Brittany, I will see you soon, just not too soon. I decided that I shouldn’t respond since he said it was difficult, so I just tucked my ouija board away and laid on my bed. I’ve learned to never judge a book by its cover, I always thought that Greg was weird because he was always dressed in black and had weird friends. He wasn’t weird at all. I just wish I knew that before he died, I wish I was closer too him. I’m still wondering if there was something else that caused him to commit suicide. I’ll ask him soon, just not too soon. I’m glad I got to talk to him one last time.