The Boy With Black Eyes | Teen Ink

The Boy With Black Eyes

By Jordan Hitchner BRONZE, Hatboro, Pennsylvania
Jordan Hitchner BRONZE, Hatboro, Pennsylvania

October 17th, 1978
Lancaster, Pennsylavnia

It’s autumn. It’s night. A dark night. The kind of night where you’re sitting there watching TV or reading a book under the covers with pumpkins on your front porch. Leaves are blowing in the wind as Georgie DeBelle walks into the kitchen. His parents are asleep. He opens the utensil drawer and picks up a knife. He slowly walks up the stairs, which make that irritable cracking noise with every little movement made. He reaches the upstairs ever so slowly walks into his parents’ room. It’s past midnight, much past Georgie’s bedtime. Slowly, inch by inch, he brings the knife up above his head, and brings it down with the speed of a nascar racer into his mother’s heart. She jumps up, eyes wide, and looks at Georgie with a look of shock. She falls back down and is now dead. Georgie yanks the knife out of her and walks around to the other side of the bed where his father is sleeping. Again, he slowly brings it above his head and rams it right into his own father’s heart. But this time, he does it several times aggressively. His father screams as this happens, and then stops and lies there, blood on his sleep clothes. Georgie goes downstairs and sits on the rocking chair, without even speaking a word. Not even a blink. His black eyes were and always will be open for the next 16 years.

October 4th, 1979

Dr. Jim Mellett, 52, balding with gray head-hair and a gray beard with his tan trench coat is walking into the Hatsham Insane Asylum to meet his new patient. He is told that this boy is one of the most mysterious patients that has ever stepped foot in Hatsham.

“Yeah, I remember the first time I saw this kid he gave me the heebie jeebies,” a worker there told Mellett. “This kid had the look of a demon sent from Satan himself. He had no expression, and his eyes. They were darker than pitch black. He made me scared to perform my job.”

“Yes, well, I’ve heard quite a few things myself,” Mellett told him. The worker took his key out and opened the door leading to the room where the boy was. He was sitting in a chair staring at the wall, not even blinking. There was an untouched cold tray of food behind him that must’ve been there for hours. Next to him was a perfectly made bed that he apparently hadn’t used since arriving there.

“He hasn’t eaten or slept since he got here a week ago,” the worker told Mellett. “It’s creepin’ me out.” Mellett ignored him as he walked up to Georgie.

“Hello, George,” he said. “May I call you that?” Georgie continued to stare at the wall. “OK, well I have a few questions to ask you.” Still no response. “So what exactly do you remember about that night last year?” Georgie was in a trance, and it appeared that he didn’t want to be bothered.

Mellett turned to the worker. “There’s no reaching him now,” he said, “but there will be.”

“Doubt it,” he replied. “If I were you, I’d stay away from that kid.”

“I can’t,” Mellett retorted. “He’s my patient.”

October 27th, 1994
Hatsham Insane Asylum

It has been 15 years since Dr. Jim Mellett was assigned Georgie DeBelle. It has also been 15 years that there has been absolutely no conversation between the two. Mellett has been perplexed for the last 15 years, and this boy, now a 21 year old man, hasn’t spoken since the night he murdered his parents.

Mellett is driving with Norma Bates to Hatsham to assure that there is no trouble with DeBelle’s transportation to a minimum security facility. Mellett has been fighting this for months. The moment they got there, Mellett raced out of the car to Georgie’s room. “Hey, wait!” Norma yelled.

He was running as fast as he can to Georgie’s room. Once he got there, it was too late. In his room were three dead bodies with slit throats and blood stains on their uniforms.

“No, NO!” Mellett yelled. He raced down to the front office. There was a lady sitting still there. He approached her. “Excuse me, Miss? Miss!” He shook her and her head fell off. She had been decapitated. Mellett became woozy. In shock, he ran out and bumped into Norma.

“Doctor, where are you going?” she yelled as he continued to sprint towards the car. In less than thirty seconds, he was already in the car driving away without Norma. He knew exactly where to go.

October 31st, 1994
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

School is let out. Hundreds of children happily run home to prepare for trick-or-treating later that night. Every child in that school was happy as can be, but not Alec Foley. Alec had no friends at school. He got picked on every day from kids bigger and smaller than him. His father left him when he was three weeks old and his mother works nights at a diner. Alec isn’t going trick-or-treating tonight and never has because of his mom’s job. He has nothing to look forward to.

Everyone in the school was gone except for Alec. He liked to avoid situations with a lot of people so he usually sits in the bathroom for a while until the halls and schoolyard clear so he can walk home in silence. He walked home today as usual, thinking about homework, what he’ll do tonight, and of course about how much fun all the other kids at school will have tonight.

Mellett was driving to Lancaster to find “Georgie” as he was still called despite his age. He didn’t know why, he didn’t know how, but he just knew that he was going to Lancaster.

He drove to the police station and went right in. There were several policemen reading and chit-chatting.

“Listen to me,” Mellett told them. “There’s a killer out on the loose.”

The police officers laughed. One of them looked serious. “Yeah?” the serious one asked.

“Yes, he’s an escaped mental patient. He’s out right now. For all I know there could already be more victims!”

“More?” one the serious one asked. “How many have there been so-“ he was cut off by one of the laughing cops.

“C’mon, Colman, you don’t really believe this loon, do ‘ya?”

“Well, sorta’” he replied. “I mean, there may be a crazy guy out there for all we know. I mean, remember what happened in Upper Dublin?”

“Yeah but Upper Dublin’s 35 miles away. This “guy” who we don’t even know exists could just be some guy wearing black that this loon saw. I mean, who is this killer, Michael Myers? C’mon, let’s get real here, why would there be a killer in Lancaster? The only muder-involved thing that’s happened to this town was that Georgie DeBelle sixteen years ago.”

“Yeah, didn’t that kid die?” one of the cops said.

“No sir,” Mellett told him, “little Georgie DeBelle is who we’re dealing with here.” All of the cops burst into laughter.

“C’mon, man, is this some kinda joke?” one said.

“No, no, please officer you have to believe me,” Mellett begged. The officers laughed. However, the serious one started walking out of the building and grabbed Mellett’s arm and took him with him.

“Listen,” the officer told Mellett outside, “I don’t know whether or not to believe you, but I’m gonna go with my instincts on this one and say that you ain’t bluffin.’ But I would really like to know something before we head out: Are you telling the truth?”

“Yes.”

“OK, well, if you’re bluffin,’ I’ll have your head, is that understood?”

“Yes.”

“OK, well give me the scoop. What are we dealin’ with?”

“Well, they were transferring him to Lower Moreland, a minimum security facility, which I knew since I first heard it was a bad idea,” Mellett told him. “I knew what it was capable of without even having to see it. I told them, I told them over and over again that this won’t end up well and they never listened. The only time I ever saw it show any emotion was the smirk it gave yesterday when he learned of the intentions to move him because he realized that soon would come the day. Soon would come the day where his plans would come to fruition. This force, this thing, it grew and it grew inside of him but it was able to contaminate it until the time was right. I recall the day I met him, it was the most memorable day of my life. I met this six year old child, I was told there was nothing left, no conscience, no reason, no emotion, not a rudimentary sense of good or evil, right or wrong, and the blackest eyes. The devil’s eyes. I remember watching him, observing him as he stared at the wall, not seeing a wall, looking past the wall, but I had no idea what he saw. I spent eight years trying to reach him and another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy’s eyes was simply, purely, evil. It’s been my ultimate patient, and my ultimate failure. I know it better than my two ex-wives.”

“So while moving him, he escaped,” the cop asked.

“Precisely, Officer...?”

“Colman.”

“Precisely, Officer Colman.”

“So whatta’ we do?”

“Well, I suppose we could just drive around town and search for anything suspicious. It’ll be dark soon, it’ll be here,” Mellett told him.

“Do you think we could refer to it as him?” Colman asked.

“If you say so.”

Georgie DeBelle was walking around with a mask, some spray-paint, rope, and some coveralls. There was blood on the coveralls. He sat in the woods and took the spray-paint and sprayed the mask, which was a human image. When he was done, it was completely white. He put it on and he suddenly had a sense of power. A sense that he hadn’t felt since murdering his parents. Suddenly, a barking dog ran up to him. It jumped up, but Georgie caught it. The dog was fighting and scratching, but it had no effect on him.

Alec was at home watching TV. Hearing the laughter of kids outside trick-or-treating, he closed the window. He was pretty upset with his life. Suddenly, he heard a doorbell. He rushed over to the door with a not-too-welcoming demeanor.

“Trick or treat!” the children told him.

“Get outta here!” Alec scolded. The children screamed with fear and ran off the property. He then wallowed over to the couch and lie face-down and started to cry.

“Hey, look over there!”Mellett exclaimed. There were several police cars surrounding the local hardware store. They drove over to the scene.

“Yo, Derek, ‘the hell happened here?” Colman asked.

“It’s bad. They found four dead bodies, all bloody with several stabs. Two employees, two customers, one pregnant. There were also a few stolen items.”

“What was stolen?” Mellett asked.

“Uh, a thing of coveralls, a William Shatner mask, some spray paint, and a some rope. Wait a sec, why would a William Shatner mask be at a-” he got cut off.

“I told you!” Mellett yelled at Colman. They both got back in the car. The sheriff apologized to Mellett as he and Colman were driving away. The sheriff ordered all working personel to search the town and get every child indoors.

Alec Foley was in bed by 9pm. He lay there for nearly an hour without a minute of shut-eye. The sound of kids trick-or-treating much later than they should be was much too distracting. He got up and went back downstairs. Lonely, he decided to call his mom at work. No answer. Nobody ever answered the work phone, and if there was an answer whoever you were looking for was “unable to come to the phone.”

He sighed and lay on the downstairs couch full of greef. He turned on the TV where the shower scene from Hitchcock’s Psycho was on. He watched in amazement. This scene captivated him more than a toy store to a 5 year old. He walked into the kitchen and picked up a knife. He stared at his reflection in the knife in awe, as if it were a work of art. He took the knife with him when he went back to the living room and continuted to watch TV.

Georgie, with a full stomach, continuted to walk around with the Purgatory-white mask that would send a chill down your spine. He climbed a fence and snuck up to the back door quieter than a mute mouse. It was open. There was a woman inside cutting carrots. He slyly snuck up to her back. She continued to cut the carrots. Georgie’s breathing grew louder. The woman looked up, but continued to cut. Georgie’s breathing grew even louder, and the woman looked behind her. Georgie was standing right there. She gasped but he covered her mouth and pressed his thumb against her adams apple, crushing her larynx. He punched her right in the jaw, and she fell to the ground. He proceeded to grab the knife and came down on her back with it several times. He washed the blood off of the knife and it was squeaky clean. He looked at his reflection in the knife in awe, as it were a work of art. He took it with him to wherever fate took him next.

Mellett, with the gun Colman gave him, was searching the woods along with Colman.

“Find anything?” Colman yelled at Mellett.

“Nothing but leaves, you?”

“Nahh.” They continuted the search. “Why would he be hiding in the woods anyway?”

“We searched the streets for hours and found nothing. I think a smarter place for an escaped psychopath would be surrounded by trees rather than out in the street, dontcha think?” Colman became frustrated. He was about to say something, but it was then he spotted something.

“I think I’m gonna be sick,” Colman said in a sick state.

“What, what have you found?” Mellett yelled. “What?!” But Colman was looking away from what he saw. Mellett stared at it as if he saw it coming.

“What...what has happened?” Colman asked.

“He got hungry,” Mellett told him staring at the bloody remains of a dog.

Georgie was walking around the neighborhood now, out in the street. He was looking at houses. He saw through a window. In the window he saw a boy. A boy who looked angry. He was watching TV. He was holding a knife. Posing as a trick-or-treater, Georgie knocked on the door.

Alec was watching TV holding the knife angrily. He was fed up with his life. This night was a big thinking night. He thought about all of the people in his life that had treated him like crap. He was ready to snap any second. He heard a knock at the door. It was midnight, and he thought it was a trick-or-treater. He sat up from the couch. He looked back at the knife. He slowly reached his hand over and picked up the knife. He looked at his reflection in the knife once again. He smirked and steadily walked over to the door. Like a terribly malfunctioning robot, he gradually moved his arm inch by inch to the doorknob. He grabbed the doorknob and turned it. The door made cracking noises while it slowly opened, and when it was completely opened, there was nobody there. Disappointed and frustrated, he slammed the door shut. As he turned around there was another knock. He swiftly opened the door this time, and there was still nobody there. He went outside and looked around and didn’t see anything. The only thing he saw was a police officer and an old guy in a cop car. He went back inside and closed and locked the door. When he turned around, there standing in front of him, was Georgie DeBelle.

Mellett and Colman continued their search for Georgie. They were back on the streets. They hadn’t found anything on the streets. They saw a boy standing outside of his house, and he appeared to be searching for something.

“Let’s search that house there,” Mellett suggested.

“Why, it’s just-” Colman was interrupted.

“Go on!” Colman drove into the driveway. In the window, he saw a man in a mask fighting with the boy who was just outside searching.

“So, I suppose you would like some candy, eh?” Alec said to Georgie. “Well, trick or treat!” he yelled. He then attempted to drive the knife into the heart of Georgie, but Georgie grabbed Alec by the wrist and was holding his arm in the air. Eyes widened in surprisement, Alec tried to strike Georgie with his other hand. He caught that hand as well. Alec had no defense. He was scared. It was then that Colman and Mellett knocked on the door.

“This is the Lancaster Police, is everything alright in there?” Colman yelled. No answer. “Okay, we are going to break down the door. 1...2...3!” The door was busted down. They looked in the room. Nobody was there.

“Hey! Let me go!” screeched a voice coming from upstairs.

“George?” Mellett yelled. He and Colman raced upstairs. There they found a rope hanging from a pipe with a loop in it out the window. Georgie was holding Alec by the neck holding a knife up in the air with the other hand. Colman put the gun.

“FREEZE! Put the boy down!” Unthreatned, Georgie threw Alec on the bed, slapped the gun out of Colman’s hand, and grabbed him by the head. Alec ran downstairs. Georgie began to squeeze Colman’s head. Suddenly, Colman’s eyes rolled back into his head as blood rushed out of his nose, ears, mouth, and eyes. He stopped shaking and was thrown onto the ground. Mellett punched Georgie in the face. It had no effect. Georgie grabbed him by the neck and started to strangle him. Mellett was trying to grab his gun, but was shaking too much. He realized that he was going to die. He was running short on air. He was looking into the black eyes that once sat motionless staring at a wall. Staring at whiteness that wasn’t viewed as whiteness. Staring at the future and what it held and tonight was exactly what Georgie had in mind. Suddenly, he stopped. Georgie turned around and found Alec holding a knife that was deep into the back of Georgie. He was trying to reach his back and pull it out, but couldn’t. Alec grabbed the gun and shot Georgie in the head. He fell down to the ground back first, driving the knife deeper into his back. Alec grabbed the loop of the rope and slid Georgie’s head into there. He grabbed his unconscience body. It was heavy, but he managed to get him over the edge of the window. Georgie DeBelle had been hanged.

Perplexed, Mellett stared at Alec. “Oh, lord, boy, do you realize what you just did?” Alec looked at him with a look of disgust. He grabbed the knife and drove it right into the sternum of Mellett. Mellett looked down at the knife, and back up at Alec. Eyes wide, he whispered, “Samhain...” as he fell to his death. Angrily, Alec grabbed the knife and continued to drive it into the corpse of Dr. Jim Mellett. He gazed at the bloody knife, and approached the window where Georgie had been hanged. He looked over the edge of the window and realized that there was nobody there.

on Apr. 11 2011 at 5:18 pm
__horizon133 PLATINUM, Portage, Michigan

"laugh, and the world laughs with you. laugh hysterically, and for no apparent reason, and they will leave you alone." anonymous

wow! very action packed. the only thing i would redomend is that some of the dialog doesn't fit with the characters, like "a thing of coveralls" and such. other than that, it was awesome!

on Oct. 27 2010 at 12:24 pm
NikitaBliss PLATINUM, Galion, Ohio

The more you wait, the more it sucks.

haha, good song.... another to listen to while reading this...:

The Used ---- The bird and the worm

i almost screamed... :D

on Oct. 27 2010 at 12:20 pm
nefariouslyme, Richland, Michigan
Try listening to Almost Alice while reading this. Talk about strange.

on Oct. 27 2010 at 8:02 am
shellbi123 SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan

"don't say sorry if your not"

awesome, it was really good, i liked it.

on Oct. 26 2010 at 9:48 am
NikitaBliss PLATINUM, Galion, Ohio

The more you wait, the more it sucks.

I REALLY LIKE THIS STORY! RIGHT A SEQUEAL! (if you haven't already) this is really good, it grabbed my attention, but now i think alec should have those black eyes.... :D i was listening to this is halloween by marilyn manson when i read this and that gave it a little more thrill, and it gave me goose bumps! hehe...(: bu i love this!!!!

on Oct. 25 2010 at 7:05 pm
writergirl2 BRONZE, Gaines, Michigan

"The Constitution gives people the right to pursue happiness...you have to catch it yourself."
(Benjamin Franklin)

Very captivating. Some parts seemed a little rushed, though, but it was still unique and I couldn't stop reading until I got to the end!

on Oct. 25 2010 at 3:55 pm
ActuallyMimi BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

"It's not the end yet, let's stay with it." - Fortune Cookie.

This seems almost exactly like the premise of Halloween.

on Oct. 22 2010 at 12:51 pm
nefariouslyme, Richland, Michigan
Wow, this was really good. I'm very glad I didn't read this home alone at night, or my neighbors might have heard me screaming.