The Fortune Teller | Teen Ink

The Fortune Teller

By kat27 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
kat27 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida

“Alright, alright, I’m on my way.” He stood up, put his phone in his pocket, and began to gather his things.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m sorry, we’ll have to do this another time” he apologized. He was on his way out the door. He had his briefcase and his phone, leaving nothing behind.

“Wait! Are you sure you don’t want to do this?” the woman hollered, running to the door to block it.

“I can’t.”

“Are you sure?” the woman asked again.

“I can’t. I’ve gotta’ go.” he said, but the woman still stood there, blocking the door.

“I’ve got to go, now please move.” He asked.

“No, you can’t go!” shrieked the woman.

“I have to. It’s important.”

“Well this is going to be important too.” The woman said slowly.

“Move! I don’t have time for this!” he yelled.

“but- ” the woman protested.

“but WHAT?”

“but, you, um, you left your phone on the table,” the woman lied. He checked his briefcase. Then he checked his pockets.

“Here it is! It was in my pocket all along.” Then he pushed the woman from where she stood, opened the door and slammed it shut. Quickly, the woman bolted from the floor, and ran after him. He was headed for the parking lot, where his car sat under the shadow of an oak tree. He had ten feet to go. Seven feet. Only five feet to go.

“Stop!!” the woman shrieked, and he stopped. Then he turned around.

“What is wrong with you? We can schedule another appointment later, just not now! My wife expects me to be home to feed the kids soon. What is she going to say when I’m not there, huh? Who’s gonna’ be there to help the kids do their homework, and tuck them into bed at night while Martha’s at her night shift?” He yelled on and on.

“Hopefully you,” the woman answered.

“What does that mean?”

“It means don’t move.”

“You’re crazy, this is all crazy!” he yelled, continuing to walk. He was four steps away from the tree. Three steps. Two steps, two steps away from the large, green oak tree. The woman lunged at the man, trying to pull him away from the tree. He and the woman, they both fell to the ground, and so did the tree.

This is an example of a minaminalist short story. The ending can be interpreted by the reader.