If Only | Teen Ink

If Only

By _Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

The funny thing about people is that their harsh laughs never seem to disappear. They act like I can’t hear them whisper about me. They think I don’t care when they punch my face and break my bones unmercifully. This is my third school so far, so you can say I don't belong. The other funny part is that they actually think I don't care. Ever since mom died, a force field kept me separated from everyone around me, I care a lot more than I used to. When she was alive, I would always come home crying and her soft, sweet voice would always calm me down. Her words would help me wash the pain away after I was kicked back down so many times. But, last year, there was an accident. And accident not even a murderer deserved. Her murderer is still unknown to the world. When I get a job I'm going to be a detective so I can solve the murder of my mother. That sicko isn’t getting a free pass.

At school that force field kept me from having friends. Every time I tried to diffuse it, it hurled me back. My mother had always told me that their jealous of me. But when I see their appalled faces as I walk by, I know it’s a lie. If I could find a school where I could fit in I would but now it's just a small day dream. Oh yes, by the way, my name is Lia Welpk. Welcome to my nightmare, just don‘t make it become yours too…

* * *

“Weird, I’ve never been in this part of the town before.” Kari raised a skinny eyebrow. I could easily count the tan wrinkles that scorched her young face. She drove a simple white truck, nothing too fancy.

This too is like a virtual world. Green groves of trees were spread out among the road, a few buildings stood in between them. White opaque clouds swam up ahead peacefully. The sun shown but it was hidden among the lush green branches of the scenery.

“Yeah a lot of people haven’t. This providence is owned by Spekmen.Cesario is just a coffee shop of its turf.” Kari uttered, never taking her eyes off the road. “Oh, Spekmen, Lia, is an all boy’s high school.” Her voice was neutral, never happy nor sad. Just there. Kari’s black wide eyes turned to mine. I nodded my head once but Kari didn‘t notice.

Spekmen huh? “Hey Kari what is Spekmen like?” I need a new beginning. This just might be my only chance. Butterflies flew in my stomach as they thought of the idea of a new start, a different identify.

“Oh please don’t tell me,” Kari said nonchalantly, knowing exactly what I meant.

Suddenly, almost simultaneously, a man literally appeared in front of the road. A gun in his hand, his finger tight on the trigger.

The safety off.

Where did he come from? His long silver hair, the pointed chin, and the wide light purple eyes made him look like a myth. He was handsome but it only seemed like a glamour. The bloodlust in his eyes sent shivers down my spine. The hair on my arms stood on end. He stared at me, his eyes ancient and secretive. He stared at me in no way possible to describe.

Unreal and yet he stood only meters away. No one was on the road but him. Nothing stood around Kari and me but him.

“Holy…” Kari screeched to a stop but she was faded away too. The break thrashed to a stop, hitting the floor of the car with an earsplitting thump.

Worry, fear, and confusion swelled up inside my soul. My anxious breathing speed out of control. There was no noise but the nervous beating of my heart.

A high pitched squeal burned inside my ears. Seconds later I realized it was mine. I gasped for breath but it didn’t do any good. I reached for my cell
phone but it was vanished too. Every thing was gone except for me and that man in front of Kari’s car.

“I must be hallucinating, yeah that’s it.” My voice cracked and trembled as I tried to convince my self that I was just turning officially insane. I tried to keep my voice steady but it thrashed between octaves and cracked into a child’s sob. My eyes twirled to the wind shield again.

There was nothing there. No road, no air, no nothing. Not even color could save me now.

I tried screaming again without thinking. Warm, clammy hands covered my mouth tightly. I could hear my jaw cracking from the pressure. He was on
top of me. His fast, heated breath on my face. His devilish eyes staring into mine. His silver hair trailed my face and arms. I tried to look away but I couldn’t. His other hand held against my forehead kept me from moving. The only thing I could feel was fear coming across every corner. Adrenaline kicked in but it was no help. This guy was stronger than any man.

This is no man. No man can do this sort of thing. He’s like a nightmare come true.

I had once believed that I had hated people before. But no. This was hatred.

I attempted to swing my arm out and punch him right in the mouth. But all I got in return was cruel chuckling. “Leave now. You have no idea what I am capable of. Leave now before I kill you and your friend.”

And with that he was gone and it was like he was never even here. I looked around, my head was still dizzy. I could hear the wheels squeal along the road. The world was back and Kari sat beside me driving once again. Just like nothing had ever happened? Was it a hallucination? My heart bet faster and faster.

No it wasn’t. It couldn’t have been

“Are you okay? You don’t look so good…” Kari said, her lips pressed into a hard line. She pressed her cold hand on my forehead like she was
checking for a fever.

“M’ fine. Hey do you think you can enroll me into Spekmen,” deciding to forget the nightmare for only a short minute.

“Uh no, it’s an all boys school.” Kari told me in an obvious sarcastic tone.

“So? ‘Sides I have feeling I should go there.”

No leave now. Leave now Lia. The same voice called inside my head and it wasn’t me who was thinking it.

“I’ll see what I can do. Just Let me call Ana first. We got a makeover to do.” Kari Fray smiled a smile which instantly told me that she would be on my side no matter what.

One hand on the wheel, Kari reached for her phone and dialed a random number. Her brown hair creating a screen in front of her tan face. “Hey Ana, we got us a makeover to do… No it’s different this time…Shut up, I’ll show you when we get there. Calm down.”

Oh this is going to be fun. You actually think you can pull this of, huh? Fine, but I will be waiting for you to fall. You decided not to leave, you can take consequences.

The voice continued to dance inside my head.

Arluanna PLATINUM, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“Mwahahahahaha! Now you are mine, Lesley-Bird, finally, at last, in my... oh, drat, forgot it had wings...”

-Phil, the youngest Kalins Uzin

Have you read Maximum Ride? The "Welcome to my nightmare..." is straight from the prologue from the first book. But again, interesting comcept. You seem to have a little trouble with they're there and their. I know people who have no idea what the difference is between them and just pick one and go with it. Your writing would flow a lot more and be less distracting if the little things (like typos, grammatical errors and wordplay) were fixed, and they're often things that should be picked up by Microsoft Word's Spellchecker. Maybe you should have a friend proofread before you post; I often read my writing at least five times before I post it. But again, it's an interesting concept. I'd like to see it develope. And sorry for being such a grammar nazi and a word nerd, it's just in my blood. Instead of cells, I have the alphabet floating around in there :)

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jul. 5 2010 at 11:06 am

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thanks and i don't know, i wrote this a long time ago

on Jul. 5 2010 at 9:45 am
HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

*gasp* this story was real interesting!!! so are you not gonna write more or what?? anyway, the descriptions/word choice in here was grreaat!! good workk

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

Yeah, you're right, pinkvolleyballgirl. I do like this but it could use some spiffing up. Plus if you posted more that would be awesome. You know what this strongly reminds me of? Twelfth Night, Shakespeare. You know, Cesario? A girl dressing up as a guy? Is that a coincidence because if it is that would be weird! :)

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

“God, of your goodness, give me yourself; you are enough for me, and anything less that I could ask for would not do you full honour. And if I ask anything that is less, I shall always lack something, but in you alone I have everything”

well its good!

_Mags_ SILVER said...

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

thanks - i just made that when i was bored so it would not be that complex haha.

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

Your descriptions are beautiful; the imagery makes the story. It has an air of suspense, which is hard to achieve successfully. I think its a great short story. My suggestions: If you want to step up your writing, make it more professional. That could be achieved by amping up your vocabulary. You could also change verb choices to make the actions more dynamic. 

Great job though!

_Mags_ SILVER said...
on Jun. 28 2010 at 11:45 am

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

don't be afraid to comment, and this was just a random story. Hope ya'll like it