Willow's Edge( Alternate Version)

My old blue mustang came to a screeching halt as a dim light suddenly caught my eye. It was peering through the woods I parked in front of. Curiosity leads me to try to find out exactly where the light is coming from. I take the key out the ignition, getting out of the car, closing the door behind me. As I stuff my keys in the front pocket of my denim jeans, I enter the small section of woods. Layers of overly wet snow make each step soft and mushy. The cold air whips around me. The silence in the woods gives this whole scenario eerie, and I start to wish I wasn’t alone. I especially wished Caden wasn’t missing either. Normally I wouldn’t be concerned since Caden is always leaving without notice. But it’s been two weeks that I haven’t heard from him, and that’s what induced my search. A friend of his said that he talked about being one with nature, and Willow’s Edge was all I could think of. It wasn’t like him to be gone this long and I’ve been in constant worry.

I reach the source of the light at last. It belongs to a house that is built of stone looking like a miniature castle. Snow covered a third of it, and the sky hung over like a gigantic umbrella. Taking a breath of cold air and exhaling, I press the tiny button that produced a hollow DING DONG. Several moments passed. I was tempted to turn back around, get in the car, and drive away as quick as possible. Before I could make my decision, the door slowly opens revealing a man in his late twenties. He was dressed as if he was about to leave for a formal party. His sleek black tuxedo and white buttoned up shirt clashed once you saw his copper hair sticking out in all directions. He gives a wide grin. “Well, hello Miss, what brings you here?”

“Uh, hi. I’m looking for my brother Caden. He’s been missing for two weeks. Last time I heard, he could have been in this area recently.” I pull out a photo of us, Caden grinning impishly and putting bunny ears above my head. “Have you seen him by any chance?” The man examines the photo for a couple of seconds.
“I don’t believe I have.”
“Are you sure?”
The man chuckles. “Not too many people come in these woods so if I saw this young man, I would certainly recognize him.
“ Well, that’s just great..” I said, feeling defeated. I drive to Willow’s Edge hot on a lead, only to have the glass half full. On top of that, I’m talking to a strange guy that lives in the middle of the woods. Go me. “Thanks anyway.” I put the photo in my jacket.
“Surely you are cold and hungry. How about a nice meal before you go?” The man says warmly.
I look around awkwardly. The sun is growing dim. “It’s getting late and I should be on my way.”
“It’s the least I could do for all your trouble. Who knows, maybe a full stomach can give you some insight to where your brother might be.”
The mans polite smile was filling me with guilt and I didn’t want to decline his invitation. Plus, he could be right. I am starving, and food might help me think clearly. “Okay. I mean I am pretty hungry.”
“Excellent! Come on in. You’re just in time for supper.” He says opening the door. I hesitantly entered the big house as the man closed the door behind me.

The interior of the house was even more intimidating, yet beautiful than the exterior. Maroon walls weren’t bare but covered with renaissance paintings. The wooded floors were so clean, it was as if they have never been walked on before. As I try to keep up with the man, I see a staircase made from white marble. He noticed my pace was slowing down.
“Pretty nice, isn’t it? It’s been in my family for generations. I’m quite proud of this house.
“It is something…” I say lost in thought. Who in their right mind would own a house like this in the woods?

The man turns back around so quickly, he made me jump a little. “Oh where are my manners? Don’t give my name, nor ask for yours in return! Allow me to introduce myself, I am Oliver Dawson. And you are?”
“Molly.”
“Such a lovely name! It’s a pleasure to meet you, Molly!” He gave a dramatic bow.
“Er, thanks. You too.” What is with this guy?
He continued walking. “I hope you don’t mind, I have some other guests here. I’m sure they’ll love to meet you.” Oliver disappeared into a room, and I power walked after him.

The dining room is just as nice as everything else I saw. The walls and carpet is burgundy, giving it a warm and eloquent feel. A long cherry wood table has plates of food and empty goblets with wine bottles in crushed ice. Three of the seats are filled with people that are dressed similar to Oliver. As I get closer to them, that’s when I open and close my mouth in horror.
I notice the two women first. Their outrageous make up, pig tails, and frilly attire give them the appearance of dolls young girls played with in their spare time. The third person looks even creepier. The guy is dressed in a charcoal suit with red pinstripes. He wears dark sunglasses, so I can’t see his eyes. Black lines are drawn down from the corners of his mouth. Red blush covers his cheek bones. He resembled a human dummy. But there is something else I notice on him that sends chills down my spine. A scar of a straight line runs across the back of his hand. It is the same exact scar Caden has in the same exact spot from when he fell of his surfboard a year ago.
I race to his side, and ripping off the sunglasses, confirming what I already knew. The dummy look-alike was indeed Caden.
“Cade, what are you doing? Why in the hell would you let this guy dress you in this weird get up?” the two questions spilling out of me. He doesn’t answer. In fact, he doesn’t move at all. His blue eyes show sheer terror and he makes a faint murmur sound. But his mouth remains closed as if he can’t part his lips. “Cade, what has he done to you?”
An excited voice booma across the dining hall, answering my question. “He can’t move a single thing at the moment. I gave him something special and now he’s paralyzed!”
My head whips towards Oliver Dawson’s direction.” Why would you do this? Fix him now!”
“Did you not hear me? I said ‘at the moment’. It will wear off. How else would I have gotten him to join my party?
“You’re psycho!” I screamed, ignoring the hurt look on Oliver’s face. “And this is…I’m calling the police.” I pull out my cell phone, dialing 9-1-1. No signal. Oliver laughed.
“You’re not going to be getting any signal here.”
I shoved my phone in my pocket, already about to exit the dining hall.
“Where do you think you’re going?
“Going to get help for my brother and these poor people you’re using for your sick entertainment.”
I hear Oliver chuckle at my declaration. “And what makes you think they would even be alive when you come back with this so called ‘help’?”
His words stopped me dead in my tracks and I turned around slowly. “What is that supposed to mean?” I hissed.
“I’m just saying you don’t know what I’m capable of, because you simply don’t know me. So I ask my next question. Are you willing to risk you brothers life, plus two innocent people?”

I tried to talk. I want to. But I can’t. I’m terrified and I can’t form any words. I’ve been thrown into a nightmare that was a rare and tragic reality. I hear a grunt from Caden and I run back to him.
Oliver gave a taunting smile. “Did you change your mind, Molly?”
I pay no attention and look at my brother. “Cade? If you can hear me, make a noise.” Caden grunts in response. “Okay, that’s good. Look, I’m not going to let anything happen to you. We’re going to get out of here somehow.” Caden’s eyes softened a little.
“Aww, how sweet. Sibling love. Well, take a seat. Enjoy a meal with us.”
“I’m not eating your shi-”
“I suggest you sit down and eat.” Oliver stood ten inches from me. “Unless you want to end up being in the same state as your brother over there.”
Stay strong Molly. Play his sick game, and keep everyone alive. You’re no good to any of them if you can’t move either. I take a seat next to Caden. Oliver takes one across from me, looking as joyous as ever.
“Dig in Molly. The boneless chicken is to die for!” he yells, already starting to eat.
I stare at my plate, on the verge of tears. How can I stomach food in a situation like this? I try to keep my hands from shaking as I stick my fork into the diced chicken. I chew slowly taking one reluctant swallow. It does taste pretty good, but I don’t want to eat anymore. What if he put something in it?
Oliver looked up at me. “So how was your day, Molly?
I want to throw my fork at him.
“Well, let’s see. I went from searching for my brother, to being held captive along with him by a psychotic freak. How do you think I’m doing?”
Oliver sprung up. His plate whizzes past me, food hitting and sliding down the wall.” ENOUGH! I welcome you in my house, and you insult me? How dare you?” I stumble out of my chair as he hopped on the table trying to reach me. I take three steps and I feel a hard yank as he pulls my hair from the back, sending me flying on the floor. The land brings immediate pain through my back and head. Before I can stand, he gets on top of me, wrapping his hands around my neck.
“I should take the life from you with my bare hands. I could do it. Oh, what an intimate murder it would be to feel that life of yours slip away…” I’m struggling to remove his hands from my neck. He is surprisingly strong. My vision was blurring and black spots appeared. Oh god, please don’t let me die.
Suddenly he let goes of me and stands up, straightening his tux. I automatically hurdle over, gasping for air. “I’m sorry for the way I acted. It may have been a bit too much. But you made me Molly, you know that right? An apology would make me feel better.”
“ I- I-’m s-sorry…”I spit out, trying to catch my breath.
Oliver gently takes my hand, helping me to my feet. He sweeps a strand of dark brown hair from my face. “You can’t do that to me again, alright?” I want to push his hand away. I want to do more, like stab him in the eye. But I feel weak and my head is pounding between my ears. I hold on to the table for support.
“Please just let us go. People are going to look for us, you know.”
Oliver looks at me like I was stupid. “Of course I know people are going to look for you. But there might not be anything left to look for. Well, maybe for those three. You…you’re so beautiful. I want to keep you to myself. I can just imagine all the fun we would have.”
I can’t back up anymore.”You can just get that thought out of your head right now. You will never have me.”
Oliver begins to pull me toward him. “I will have whatever I want, I will have you, and I will have you right now.”
I slap him. “Stay the hell away from me.”
Oliver back hands me so hard I thought he almost snapped my neck. My lip bleeds. I try to push him away, but his dark determination gives him more strength. He grabs my flailing arms and turns me around, the upper half of my body sprawled on the dining table. I make an attempt to elbow him in the face, and he pulls my hair again, making contact with the table, my face pushed in. He efficiently gets my pants and underwear down. I let out a blood curdling cry as he rams into me, gripping the back of my neck. The table shakes fiercely with his thrusts. His heavy breathing and moans surround me. I didn’t realize my eyes were closed, and when I open them I’m facing Caden. He stares back, his eyes filled with tears, anger, and utter hopelessness.

Oliver releases me. I fall to the floor. My stomach feels queasy. Vomit was making its way up my throat. I haven’t eaten much in what seems like a day. My mouth tastes like stomach acid. I lethargically put my jeans and underwear back on, and then remain a crumpled heap on the floor. Everything in me is telling me to get the hell up, but I can’t. I can’t focus. I’m trying to go over what just happened to me. It just makes me feel ill again. I finally stand up but I’m taken back by a dizzy spell. Oliver looks fixedly at me. “I hope that was as great for you as it was for me, Molly. You are truly remarkable. I’m glad I got a chance to make such a mark on you.”

He is right. He did make a mark on me. A deep and emotionally painful mark that will never disappear…

Oliver interrupted my thoughts. “I shall return shortly.” He clipped, already heading out. I hear a voice. The voice I’ve been waiting to hear for so long. “Oh god Molly…”

I sprint to my brother. “Cade! You don’t know how relieving it is to hear you speak. Can you move?”
“Yes. But not soon enough. I’m supposed to protect you, and instead I got to watch that monster…I can kill him for what he did to you.” Caden clenched his fist, his knuckles turning white.”
“I’m okay. I’ll be fine. We just need to get out of here. He should be coming back soon. I need you to not move a muscle until it’s time.”
“How will I know when it’s time?”
“When he’s on the verge of killing me and I say now;”
“He has this sick infatuation with you Molly, how can you be so sure he will want to kill-“ Footsteps grew near.
“I’m not sure, but it’s the only plan I got. No matter what happens don’t move.” I barely whisper.

“What are you doing?” Oliver asks suspiciously.
I stare at him, not letting him know the conversation I just had with my brother. Not letting him know the chainsaw he held in his hand was scaring me shitless and sending alarms all down my body. “Just telling my brother everything is going to be okay.”
Oliver smirks. “That’s funny, because I planned on chopping him into tiny little pieces.”
I try to stay cool and not say a word. I’m not saying a word because I am at loss.

“I don’t think that sits well with you, does it? That’s why I want you to have a choice,” Oliver walks over to the two women I forgot about, gently playing with of the women’s blonde curls. “I can kill your brother over there. I can kill these lovely ladies over here. Who will survive?”

My thoughts danced in my mind. I need him to get closer to me, right?
“Kill my brother.” I said with much conviction as I could muster.
Oh come on, you know what you really want. Let me save you the trouble.” The chain revved up and the sound invaded my ear drums.
“NOOO!” I scream but it’s useless. Oliver was already slaughtering the women. Body parts are being amputated. Blood is drowning the food and splattering on his face as his maniacal laughter out does the chainsaw. When he is done, he turns off the chainsaw and carefully sits it down. “That definitely got the party started.”
What do I do? What was the plan? I can’t even remember. Those poor girls. Think Molly, think!
I give a slow pace clap. “That was impressive,” My clapping comes to a halt. “How did this whole murdering people come to be? Daddy touch you in the wrong places?”
Oliver grabbs his chest as if he is suffering from attack. “You’re sick…”
“I’m sick? You’re the one who took my brother. You’re the one that murdered those girls. You’re the disgusting pig that raped me. Who knows how many lives you’ve destroyed and taken. I’m pretty sure you’re the sick one.”
Oliver was shaking uncontrollably now. “That wasn’t my fault! You tempted me! Everyone tempted me!”
I continue. “We didn’t tempt you to do anything. You were already a psychopathic freak that needs to be locked up in a small white room. They have that for monsters like you.”
Oliver was stomping toward me. “Shut up!”
“Make me. You kill when people when they can’t even fight back. Grow some balls and kill me when I’m actually able to move.”
“YOU B****”

“Now Caden!”
Caden is quickly up in front of me, punching Oliver. Oliver is down. I reach for a butter knife and stab him in the leg, and he yelps. Caden takes my hand.
“Molly, let’s go!” We run out of the dining hall. The house becomes a blur as we keep running to the front door. I can hear Oliver at a distance.
“MOLLY!” The engine of the chainsaw follows. Then angry footsteps.

Cadens opens the door and continues running. I try to ignore that Oliver is fast and is getting closer. The snow isn’t made for fast paced movement. The trees and the dark makes it even more difficult. I feel confused and lost. Caden falls. I can tell he is holding back his pain, and his leg is bent in an unnatural way. I motion for him to be quiet, stay put, and hide behind a tree, and I hide behind another. It is dead silent except for the pounding of my heart, and Oliver growing near.
“Oh Molly, where are youuuuu? I just want to rip out your intestines, that’s all.”
I cover my mouth to stop myself from crying in hysterics, but tears flow down. He is closer now. He is near me now. He is five steps away from me now.
“I thought this could work out Molly, but you ruined it.”
My heart is about to fall out of my chest, but I find the strength to get up. He doesn’t have time to react when I push him as hard as I can, the chainsaw dropping from his hands. We both fall to the ground, as I try to stand, Oliver tries to grab my ankle, but I kick him in the face. Blood spurts from his nose. I stomp on his groin. He screams in agony. I pick up the chainsaw and hold it above my head. His words rang in my ears, and I let him know how I feel.
“I hope this is as great for you as it is for me, Mr. Dawson. You are truly remarkable. I’m glad I get a chance to make such a mark on you.”

I rain down the chainsaw and all I see is red.

Cheshirekat said...
today at 12:34 am:
Wow! This was well written and the ending was very ironic and dramatic. I liked it.

pipiphurray said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 8:43 am:
that was amazing and captivating. really good keep up the good work.  

apurcell1109 said...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 1:50 am:
this was a really good read girly lol didnt want to walk away from the computer until i was dont usually i dont read things all the way threw but really enjoyed reading this

hottemp97 said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 7:48 pm:
wow u are definatly a great author