The 28th Amendment - The Verdict - Joseph Riker | Teen Ink

The 28th Amendment - The Verdict - Joseph Riker

May 26, 2010
By roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
44 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Peace, Love, and R&R


I couldn't believe what Erika had done. Not only had she betrayed me, but she betrayed the captain and the entire force. If that wasn't an excuse to kick her out then, I didn't know what was.
I tried to find her outside the courtroom between the trial and the verdict, but she was nowhere to be found. The Captain was right in my face, though.
"What happened back there?" questioned Captain.
"I have no idea. I haven't talked to her since last night. She was completely silent on the ride over here."
"Well, I need to talk to her. She couldn't have been fired quicker if I tossed her in a bonfire while she was drenched in gasoline."
"Yes, sir."
But Erika was hidden. She had probably locked herself in a closet.
She couldn't hide in there forever. When the verdict was about to be announce after only an hour of deliberation, which was either really good or really bad, she had to come out. Erika managed to sit as far away from me as possible.
I watchd as Juror Number One walked up to Emily to show her the verdict. She quickly checked it and sent it back.
"In the count of burglary, how do The People find?" She was guilty. She had to be guilty...
"Not guilty," Jurur Number One said. My gut just sank to the floor.
"And in light of the evidence shown by Miss Anderson, Detectives Smith and Riker and Captain Samuels are being charged with violating Miranda rights.
"This court is adjourned. Thank you ladies and gentleman of the jury, you are dismissed."
Oh, my God. They couldn't take my badge. That badge was my life.
"Wait, Your Honor!" shouted Brianna. Maybe she'd be my savior. Ask that the charges be dropped against me.
"Can I drop the charges against Detective Erika Smith?"
The traitor?!
"You have to fill out a form, officially, but yes."
I couldn't believe that Erika, who had gone behind our backs, could get off practically scot-free and I would be out of a job. Who says cheaters never win?