Bright Lights

The third rung on the ladder is broken.
I was alone in the house, and I felt alone. Unlike my peers, I’m not afraid of being alone. I’m afraid of thinking I’m alone but really, I’m not. But that wasn’t the case. I was alone and I knew it. In my tiny town of Holden Texas it’s rare to have a neighbor within 2 miles of you so alone time and emptiness was a common feeling. That fact probably played a major role in the act of my parents leaving me home alone tonight. They were at my Cousin Vicky’s funeral. I loved Vicky. That’s why I didn’t go. I didn’t want to be reminded that she would never be there to hold my hand again. She would never be there to braid my hair in those tight yet loose and beautiful braids, never. I am sick of being reminded. I have the rest of my life to grieve about her death, why dedicate one specific day to it? It was better to do it slowly, by yourself- without a giant coffin catching your eye. Not only did my parents disagree with my opinion on this, but they were also slightly disturbed I thought of it. No one knew how much I loved Vicky. They couldn’t argue though when I refused to attend. They knew it was better to just go without me then to attempt to fight with me through one of my famous fits. I always won. It was a fact.
They left at noon to catch a train for Leslie Texas, where the services took place. They wouldn’t be back until midnight. It was a long trip to Leslie. I began my day away from everything with a two hour marathon, watching only romantic movies that were in Spanish. This activity was followed up by a series of pointless matters that were major time wasters. I had no intention of doing something productive. It was a Saturday, which was enough of an excuse. My fat, oversized Pug dog named Bunny broke my train of thought with her loud high pitch squeals. There were muffled though, like they were not coming from inside the house.
I jumped from my comfy recliner chair and dragged my feet to the back slider door. I flipped on the porch lights and scanned the large fenced in yard for Bunny. The squeals continued. There, at the furthest part of the yard wiggled the back end of Bunny which was lodge into a hole in my family’s tacky blue fence. There was a tiny hole there when we moved in, but Bunny made it bigger each time she attempted to pursue her escape mission. She always wanted to go chase the barn cats that explored our small farm. We never let her though, that cat had an attitude and would surely attack. After laughing at Bunny’s pure stupidity for a moment, I raced to go rescue her. The grass was squishy from the recent rain storm so the bottom of my jeans became wet as I made it to Bunny. When it came to rescuing Bunny, you didn’t even need to touch her. “Hey Bunny,” I called. “Do you want a piece of cheese?” I said in my most enthusiastic tone. Sure enough after quite a fight, she popped her little head out of the hole and into my waiting arms. “Let’s go get you some cheese.” I told her. I released her as soon as we reached the back slider door so I would have a free arm to open the door. Too bad it wouldn’t open. I tried over and over again, it was definitely locked. It was one of those doors that automatically locked if you didn’t set it not to. There was no other way of getting in either. My parents had made sure every door and window was locked for safety reasons. I didn’t have a phone with me and I was not about to venture to my nearest neighbor’s house in complete darkness. So what do I do, wait until midnight? Bunny betrayed me at my first sign of weakness. She climbed through the kitty door we made just for Bunny. It was way too small for me to get through. What were my options? As I reconsidered the situation in my mind, a light shines bright over the top of the fence. It seems to be the light of a flashlight from far in the distance. It crept closer and closer, and all I could think about was it not being a good guy. I fear it being a bad guy, coming to turn this into my own person horror story. He could easily make it over the fence. It wouldn’t be that hard. I couldn’t handle the suspense. I decided to end the mystery. “Hello?” I called into the light. The light went out. I heard footsteps though, they were running footsteps. They were running towards me, and at quite a fast pace. I thought fast and knew I needed a place to hide, and quick. I looked to my right instinctively and say my tree house I hadn’t used since two summers ago. It wasn’t that far from the porch and the footsteps were still far enough away that I had about a minute to hide. I dashed the base of the tree house and began to climb. The third rung on the ladder is broken. My hand didn’t have anything to grab, so I fell. I curled onto my side and lost consciousness, mostly because of the fall, but also because I was scared to death about the person coming.
I woke long enough only to see that same bright light, but this time it hung over me. I knew that person had caught me. I knew there was no way to run away. I knew I was hopeless. The good part about the light was that I wasn’t alone anymore. Vicky was there.