Vortex | Teen Ink

Vortex

March 12, 2010
By FashionDesignWriter23 BRONZE, Port St. Lucie, Florida
FashionDesignWriter23 BRONZE, Port St. Lucie, Florida
3 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."-Ralph Waldo Emerson


I can’t believe it, I’m in my sophomore year in high school, and I’ve never been kissed or went on a date. I just couldn’t take this anymore, everyone knew me as the ‘ugly duckling’. I tried so hard to fit in, but it never seemed to work and every group outcaste me. The funny thing was that I got the exact same treatment at home. I could walk home encased in ice, and my dad and step-mom will glance at me and go back to work.

For my stepsister it was the complete opposite, they practically worshipped the ground she walked on. I guess she was everything they ever wanted; she was blonde, prep, and was in every extra-curricular club. Me, I was the complete opposite. I was shy, emo, I got straight A’s and I loved neon colors, but no, my parents don’t notice me or care about me at all. I’m suddenly beginning to feel like pieces of my soul were floating away. I have to do it; it’s my only way to escape from this insanity. At last nightfall came. I snuck downstairs, packed a bag of food, grabbed some clothes, and left a note.


Dear dad, and step-mom,
I wanted to say good-bye, but I didn’t want to wake you up, because I knew you would have stopped me. Maybe you shall realize why I left, although I doubt that ‘Blondie’ will figure it out. I love you dad, and I love my REAL mom.
Love,
Cassi


I grabbed the keys to the best thing I’d ever gotten from my dad…my jet black 2010 Corvette. I dropped the 2 bags in the passenger seat, and without a second glance I drove away into the night to wherever this would lead me. Little did I know that this would lead me on the most horrendous journey of my life.
Dad’s POV:
I woke up the next morning and for some reason, the house seemed so empty. The time on the alarm clock stated that it was 7 AM. I got out of bed and groggily walked over to Cassi’s room to wake her up for school. I knocked on her door, yelling at her to get up. After 3 knocks there was no reply so I decided to go look. Shivers ran up my spine as I opened the door to find nothing. Her bed was made up, and the only remainder of Cassi, was a hand-written note. As I read the note my blood chilled. She left, the only memory of my dead wife, my TRUE daughter, gone. I dashed out of her room, and barreled down the stairs yelling. My wife walked out of the kitchen along with her daughter.
“Jason, what’s wrong? Why are you making such a racket?”
“Cassi’s gone, my only BIOLOGICAL daughter is GONE!!!”
“Oh, please! Don’t worry, she probably went to one of her goon’s house.”
“DON’T WORRY! My daughter is out there somewhere, and you’re telling me NOT TO WORRY! Besides she isn’t at her friends how, she left a goodbye note.”

Cassi’s POV:

After leaving the one place that was home to so many memories, I drove and drove, and drove. I had no sense of direction; I just needed to get away from New York. I stopped about 2 times sleeping in my car. By the time I finally paid attention to the turnpike signs, it said I was in Santa Monica, CA. I drove until it became dark, and parked my car in a small alcove. I shut off the car completely, and fell into a troubling sleep.
A loud rapping on my window awaked me. I sat up, and rolled the window down to come face to face with a gun barrel. Quickly I grabbed my phone, and I-Pod touch. I was about to grab the bag with the food, when a gruff voice ordered me out of the car. I stood up slowly out of the car and walked about 10 ft away. In a trembling voice I pleaded, “Please, you can have everything, but can I have the food please?”
I guess the guy had a change of heart, for he threw the food bag towards me. I scrambled for it and ran. I huddled into the side of the cliff and fell into a troubled sleep. Once again, I awoke to the sound of waves, and the ominous feeling that someone was watching me. I bolted up and looked warily around. I heard a rustle in the bushes. I picked up my bag and ran. The sand hampered my movement as I staggered, and I ended up falling down. As I spit the sand out of my mouth, a shadow passed over me, and stayed.

Glancing up I came face to face with a boy. He seemed to be between 16-18, he had dirty brown hair, and bright blue eyes.
“W-w-what do you want?”
The voice he replied in was a rich baritone.

“Why are you out here in a secluded beach in Santa Monica, CA.?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, what is your name?”
“Until you tell me why you’re here in this deserted place, I shall not tell you an inking about myself.”
“Fine, my name is Cassi Rio, I’m 16, and I ran away from home because I feel like no one appreciates me, and no one cares what I do.”
I could feel the tears that I had so cunningly kept in, pour down my face. I didn’t know this guy, but for some reason, I was telling him everything. I felt his arms wrap around my body, as he comforted me.
“Come on.”
I got up and followed him. He led me to two tree stumps and we sat down.
“Ok, Cassi, you told me about yourself, so I shall tell you about me. My name’s Drake, I’m 17, and I ran away a week ago but I went home. During that week I met a person who told me that it wasn’t worth it to leave. I will take you back, but before we go, I want you to know this; no matter whom your family is, they’re the only thing you need. They will always be there no matter what happens or what mistakes you make, even if they don’t show it. They will also love you unconditionally. I ran away for the same reason as you which is why I’m telling you to go home.”
“But why are you here?”
“I come here to escape from things; to get away from the world.”

He stuck out his hand and we walked over the dunes to a parking lot. He led me to his 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo. We drove onto Interstate 40, and drove. We stopped twice, once in Texas, and once in Indiana. I finally paid attention to my surroundings once we were in familiar territory. In a monotone voice, I gave Drake the directions to my house. My eyes slowly drank in the images in front of me. The front door and garage were wide open, and the sky lit up with flashes of blue & red. My jaw dropped as my brain slowly processed what was happening. I grabbed my cell and I-Pod touch, as I stepped out of the car. There was a loud commotion as my dad rushed over to me.

I stepped back and turned around only to discover that Drake was gone. My dad enveloped me in a tight hug, and I sat down on the steps of my house while he took care of everything. We finally walked in at around 1 am, and I decided that it was time to explain my actions.

“Dad, step-mom, before you guys start ranting, I want to tell you why I ran away. I left because, since you married Cathryn, you never pay attention to me at all! When I got straight A’s for all of middle school, and won the medal, you guys were cooing over Shelby. I have 5 MVP trophies for soccer, basketball, and volleyball, STILL you don’t notice. Dad you have more attention to give to Shelby, but not your own BIOLOGICAL DAUGHTER! You need to remember that I’m a human being, and that I have feelings also, I’m the only person in which you can remember mom by!”
“Darling I’m so sorry! I never knew that was the impact I was having on you!”

He enveloped me in a bear hug as my step-mom looked at him scornfully. However, for the first time since mom died I felt at home.


The author's comments:
I wanted people to see(including adults) what happens when you ignore your children, or the ones close to you. After reading this remember life is too good to waste on someone's faults, forgive them and live, life like you can!