The Darkness | Teen Ink

The Darkness

By savedxbyxgrace93 BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas
savedxbyxgrace93 BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas

Vibrant oranges and subtle pinks filled the sky as the sun slipped away, leaving the unobtrusive moon to take its place. A gentle breeze tip-toed through the deserted park, scattering leaves across cracked sidewalks and trampled grass. There was no sound. No light. No people.

A sudden squelching sound reverberated through the park, metal scraping on the cement. A girl emerged from a nearby building, the library. She looked about eighteen. Her long fiery red hair blew in the wind, and she shivered. Goosebumps appeared along her arms and legs. She was dressed in running shorts and a Pink Floyd t-shirt. She quickly stomped down the brick stairs of the Library, slinging a rugged green backpack over her shoulder. Taking a quick glance behind her, she sprinted across the street, towards the abandoned park. Just as the girl’s flaming red hair vanished from sight, a second figure appeared seemingly out of thin air and followed her.

Cool air brushed the girl’s flushed cheeks as she strode quickly along the paved sidewalk of the park. The girl’s muddy sneakers slapping at the concrete was the only audible indication of life within the barren town. The moon cast an eerie glow through- out the park, tree branches dancing in the shadows. Snap. The sound of a branch snapping shattered the silence. The girl stopped dead in her tracks. Listening intently, she waited for the sound to come again, but only the chatter of the trees swaying in the wind could be heard. As a shiver shot up her spine, she continued on, making her way through the mess of trees.

The only source of light was that of the flickering lamp posts strewn about the park. They whizzed past her in a blur as she raced through the darkness. She was obviously running from something, but from what she did not know. She began to grow weary. Her breaths became more shallow with every step she took. She kept running until she couldn’t take it anymore. Breathing hard, she staggered to a nearby three, doubled over and puked. She sat there for awhile, leaning up against the tree. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. She tried to stand up, but a wave of dizziness pulled her back down. Something moved in the distance. She couldn’t make out what it was. It came towards her. Fear consumed her mind and body. She couldn’t move. Petrified, she helplessly clawed into the tree trunk for support. She was screaming. Bony hands slowly wrapped around her neck, she gagged, struggling for air. She feebly swiped at her attacker, failing miserably. She was fading.

The park evanesced before her eyes, a new scene materializing in its place. Miscellaneous silver instruments were carefully placed orderly about the room. Thermometers, needles, cotton swabs, and tongue depressors littered the counters. A hospital. Unaware of how she got there or what was going on she solicitously eased out of the stretcher she was lying in. Again, it was completely silent and deserted. She cautiously opened the steel door and stepped into the hallway. She ventured farther down the narrow hallway. With each step the distant sound of organ music grew louder in her ears. There was a low grinding sound echoing down the corridor. She started to shake. Someone was shouting, shouting her name. She crumpled to the ground. Violently sobbing, she laid on the hard floor as the gluttonous darkness choked out her cries. Suddenly a man, dressed in white, blazing like the sun, kneeled next to her. He stoked her hair and held her hand. He looked to the tiled ceiling and shouted into the surrounding darkness. Light burst forth from every corner of the room, and a single snake slithered quickly out the door. The man whispered to the girl, and tears of relief slid down her cheeks. Just as she forfeited all consciousness, retreating to a tunnel full of blinding white shadows, she smiled.

on Jun. 6 2011 at 10:54 pm
still one of my favorites.  You should get back to writing.

on Feb. 9 2010 at 9:36 pm
Thank you! :)

on Jan. 24 2010 at 8:22 am
This is amazing. I love the hidden allegorical reference between battle of good and evil.