Déjà Vu | Teen Ink

Déjà Vu

By Love2Write22 SILVER, Pryor, Oklahoma
Love2Write22 SILVER, Pryor, Oklahoma

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you reach the end; then stop."

The road was becoming glossy under the tall lights of the street. The rain had picked up since I parted with Anna, and I was shivering from the bitter cold of the thick, shower of the rain. I sped up my gait, trying to make it home before I was completely immersed in the icy water. I kept peering over my shoulder, I was becoming paranoid from walking alone, and the night frightened me. As I kept doing this, I rounded the second to last block before my house. I was completely apathetic of the man skulking around the corner of an old, abandoned building. In the back of my mind, of course, I knew the dread should be seeping through my body, and down deep into my bones. Instead, I just kept ambling on in the rain.
Abruptly, I heard an additional pair of feet trekking through the empty street behind me. I glimpsed over my shoulder, just for a moment, and saw a silhouette of a tall, muscled man behind me. I struggled for breathe fleetingly, and finally felt the dread start oozing through me, making my senses acute. I turned the corner to my house, and took off in a sprint, not looking behind me. “Wait!” I heard a voice bellow from behind me. Keep running, I thought. Finally I made it to my front door…
I bolted upright, breathing hard, and sweating. It was just a dream, I tried telling myself. You’re fine. I crawled out of bed and stumbled to my bathroom. I flicked on my light; I peered at myself in the mirror. My hair was matted to my head from my cold sweat, and I finally decided I had to take a shower.
Once I got out of the shower, my mother knocked on my door. “Skye, hurry honey or you’ll have to walk to Anna’s.”
Hearing the words walk to Anna’s made my skin crawl and I speedily through on a T-shirt and sweats and got into the car. The drive to Anna’s took about five minutes, the whole time my mother kept asking me what was wrong. “Nothing Mom,” I would reply “I just had a really…Weird dream. It’s nothing.” That would pacify her for the time remaining in the car.
When we finally pulled into Anna’s driveway, I hopped out and grabbed my bag. “Now, Skye, you call me if anything goes wrong, hear?” She always said this to me before I left for anyone’s house, but this time, she had another emotion in her voice. Worry.
I nodded and smiled, “Of course, Mom. I love you.” I shut the door and entered Anna’s house. It was about six o’clock in the afternoon, and it was starting to turn twilight outside. “Anna?” I called out, expecting my friend to bolt down her stairs and hug me.
“Up here!” was the reply.
I ascended her stairs, and opened her bedroom door. Anna, a boy name Chris and another boy named Josh, sat in her floor. “Skye!” She jumped up and hugged me.
I examine this alien group, then grabbed Anna’s arm and pulled her into her hall. “Anna, what’s going on?”
Anna giggled, and I smelt something foreign on her breath “Skye, oh were just having some fun, you know? Don’t be such a buzz kill.” Anna rolled her eyes and strutted back into her bedroom. I did not feel comfortable, but I sat on her bed. I found what gave Anna’s breath such the foul smell. Some clear liquid in an exquisitely made bottle. I shook my head, as if trying to say no to this whole situation.
“Anna, where is your mom?” I asked. I wanted to go home.
Anne looked fiercely in my direction, “Why?”
“I want to go home, now.” I said defiantly.
“She has to work a late shift tonight. She won’t be home till about two in the morning.” Anna turned around and flashed a dazzling smile towards Josh.
I once again shook my head at my best friend’s stupidity, and my own. I picked up my cell phone and dialed my mom’s number. No answer. I dialed again. Again, I got the same response. I had to leave this house, this absolute nightmare! “I’m leaving my bag here, I’m walking home. I’ll come by and pick it up tomorrow.” I spit the words at her.
“Okay?” I said.
“Your still here, I thought you already left.” That did it. I grabbed my jacket off her desk chair, and marched down the hall, downstairs, and past the living room to the front door. I slammed it extra hard as I left, I hope she heard. Somehow, that brought me a tiny bit of satisfaction. It was a cold night, and the rain went from a light drizzle, to an actual rain. I hugged my arms close to my chest, and kept walking.
Abruptly, I heard an additional pair of feet trekking through the empty street behind me. I glimpsed over my shoulder, just for a moment, and saw a silhouette of a tall, muscled man behind me. I struggled for breathe fleetingly, and finally felt the dread start oozing through me, making my senses acute. I turned the corner to my house, and took off in a sprint, not looking behind me. “Wait!” I heard a voice bellow from behind me. Keep running, I thought. Finally I made it to my front door…Almost.

on Dec. 20 2009 at 10:04 pm
Yousmell-likealoser BRONZE, Belgium, Wisconsin

"Life may not always be what you want, but life is all you've got; so stick a flower in your bellybutton and be happy!"

I like this :] Well done.