The Ring

“I’ll never let you go, I just love you so!” I smiled, singing as I cooked dinner. Everything couldn’t be better. I’ve got a delicious turkey, mashed potatoes drowned in gravy, and bright purple cranberry sauce. Opening the refrigerator I peered inside.
“I’ll love you to the very end. You’ll be there, my forever friend!” I sang, loud and cheerfully. I twirled around and began to dance. Until I saw that James was there.
“Oh!” I cried out in surprise. James didn’t smile. Blushing, I closed the refrigerator door.
“What’s the matter, James?” I said as I kissed him on the cheek. James motioned for me to sit down. I could tell that this was serious and took a seat. Leaning forward I asked him,
“Come on, tell me the secret. We’ve known each other long enough, have we not?” James shook his head and looked down. Quizzically I looked into his eyes. His deep blue, luxurious eyes; eyes that I’ve wanted for so long. For too long.
“It’s Eliza. She…she was found. In the forest.” James said, his voice shaking uncontrollably. It was the day after the proposal when Eliza had disappeared. She had gone on her usual night walk. Everything had gone so well. James and Eliza had gotten engaged! James had gotten her the most beautiful ring. A marvelous blue diamond, clear as the blue sky, had been placed on her finger. This was the happiest day of their lives! Then Eliza and the ring never came back. Ever since then, I’ve been spending more time with James, hoping…
We looked for her, for a week straight. We never found her. With James crying on my shoulder, he accepted that she was gone. Now, Thanksgiving, this had to happen. I was furious! Why did they have to find her? For god’s sake, it’s Thanksgiving! Quickly putting the anger away, I let the long awaited sadness wave through me. Taking James’s hand into mine, I whispered,
“I’m so sorry, James. I really, truly am.” I started to rub his hand, trying to be a good person. But really, what was I supposed to do in this kind of situation? I looked deep into his eyes and watched them widen.
“James, what’s wrong?” I asked. James just stared at my hand in horror. Quickly letting go of my hand, he stood up.
“You…you have the ring!” James cried in terror. I smiled.

smurf1128 said...
Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:34 am:
Nice twist at the end. I loved it!

DynamoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:51 am:

Really nice i really liked it

will u rate my work also? do so and ell me.

Lia N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 1:12 am:
I don't write much anymore, but everytime I read these comments they motivate me and make me so happy! Thank you everybody.

siddielee said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm:
That was a great story! You inspire me :-)

booklover104 said...
May 8, 2011 at 7:41 pm:
Good short story. I knew she was evil as soon as I read the word, blushed. I love it, it is short and sweet. =)

IncorrectlyWired said...
Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:41 am:
Very good twist. I like the non-chalant way that the character acts. She is obviously completely insane. Even before you get to the end you think, "Why on earth is she thinking about trying to get with him right after his fiance died?" It was creepy and well written.

bigbrother1971 said...
hey lia n. that was one of the best pieces i've read in a very long time

vampiresrockThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 10:44 am:
WOW! LOVED IT!

lovelyboneslover said...
this book was awesomer than awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luckyducky4 said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 11:18 am:
i did get why she had the ring!!! omg this story was good!

R3iiNA said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 9:32 am:
umm i dont get why the girl has the ring. and why does she smile? but after that everything was good!!!

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 11:14 am :
Let's just say a certain jealous girl understands how murder can be a crime of passion...

luv2write4ever said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm:
This was such a good story. I absolutely LOVED it. The ending was amazing! Keep up the good work.

Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:15 pm:
Sorry if I offended anybody without capitalizing "God". I didn't mean to. That is not the focus of the story, so please do not focus on that. But thank you for letting me know. 

Canfani replied...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm :
Well, Lia N. you are a fantastic writer. IT WUZ AWESOME! The story was a true thriller/mystery.

glue4 replied...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 6:18 am :
Thats so disrespectful to GOD, u shoud know how to spell it!

immortalfreaklol replied...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 5:43 pm :
Oh my gosh she already said she was sorry. Geez! You did a great job on this story. And I really liked it.(:

vballchick said...
May 30, 2010 at 1:19 pm:
OMG that was awesome. I knew there was something fishy happening when she said "Why did they have to find her". It was very suspenseful and thrilling. I luved it!

Mimi M. said...
May 30, 2010 at 10:25 am:
That was Omg amazing how old are you you should become the next Lois duncan author

Lia N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 6:23 pm :
haha thank you! I love Lois Duncan's work. I am 13 years old.