No Mother | Teen Ink

No Mother

Characters:
William Patrick: Middle aged Momma’s boy. Has a sinister grin with a side parted hairstyle. Makes awkward movements. Is good with cars and believes in southern hospitality. Hears “Mothers” voice in his head and often speaks as if he is his mother. Has a southern accent.
Mother: Williams long dead mother. Portrayed as the Voice inside Williams head. Often played as William with a girly voice.
Michelle Michaels: 26 year old who believes in the best of others. Married to Gregory Michaels and is extremely friendly. Brown hair and Brown eyes with an incredible smile. ☺
Gregory Michaels: 28 year old who is married to Michelle Michaels. Supporter of his wife’s friendliness.
Sheriff 1: Sheriff of the county. Has a slight southern accent but it isn’t all that noticeable. Chews a lot of gum.
Sheriff 2: Co-Sheriff with Sheriff 1. Has a northern accent. Is much younger than Sheriff 1. Talks with a toothpick in his mouth.

Setting: Taken place on rural farm. Basically in the middle of nowhere. Scenery: Trees, Trees and more Trees.

Scene Begins with William CS sitting in the fetal position. Rocking back and forth. Following Mother lines said by character portraying William but with an elderly woman’s voice.

MOTHER: William, Will you bring me some tea?
WILLIAM: Yes Mother.
MOTHER: William, why don’t you go bring home a nice homely girl?
WILLIAM: Yes Mother.
MOTHER: William, William.
WILLIAM: Yes mother, as you wish mother. Yes mother. (Screamed) Yes Mother!
END SCENE

OPEN SCENE WITH MICHELLE WALKING FROM LEFT OF STAGE TO CS. CAR SEEN AT SR. APRROACHES DOOR.

MICHELLE: Is anyone here? (Knocks on door) Hell? Our car just broke down!
ENTER WILIAM TO OPEN DOOR. OPENS DOOR.
WILLIAM: Hello?
MICHELLE: (Startled) Oh Good. I wasn’t sure if anyone lived here. Well my car just broke down as you can see. (Laughs)
WILLIAM: (Gazing At Car) Uh yeah, that looks pretty bad. Would you like me to take a look? (Begins Examining Car)
MICHELLE: Uh (Pause) yeah, that would be great! (Nervously) Do you live here alone?
WILLIAM: Why yes I do. Well this is my mother’s house, but I’ve been keeping it clean for her. Are you here all alone miss… you never gave me you’re name.
MICHELLE: Oh sorry, my name is Michelle and I’m here with my husband Gregory.
ENTER GREGORY
MICHELLE: Oh Gregory!
GREGORY: Hey Michelle, did you find anyone- (Notices William). Why hello! My name is Gregory.
WILLIAM: Hi… I’m William. I was just telling your wife here that I wouldn’t mind fixing your car.
GREGORY: Well thank you William. Are you goin-
WILLIAM: You two can rests up in our guest rooms. I’m assuming you must be somewhat tired. The misses can have the room on the right and you can take the one upstairs to the left. I’ll show you-
GREGORY: Oh we can share a-
WILLIAM: There will be no Hanky Panky in my mother’s house!
GREGORY: (Shocked) Oh, do you live here with your-
WILLIAM: (Abruptly) No, she passed away. Let me go and show you were you can stay. I’ll go get ya when I’m finished.
MICHELLE: Can I Maybe get something to drink?
GREGORY: Well lets’ not impose Michelle.
WILLIAM: It’ll be no problem. I’ll bring you up a glass once you get settled.
MICHELLE: Thank you. We haven’t seen a gas station in miles.
WILLIAM: Oh yeah, There’s not many of us out here.
END SCENE
OPEN SCENE WITH BED AT SR, LIVING ROOM AREA AT STAGE LEFT WITH A SMALL BARRIER IN BETWEEN. MICHELLE SLOWLY BEGINS TO WAKE UP. NOT AWARE OF HER SURROUNDINGS, STARTS TO PANIC.
MICHELLE: Where am I? What-What am I wearing?! Ugh… my head. (Pause) Gregory?! Gregory where are you?!
ENTER WILLIAM
WILLIAM: Well, good day darling. Mama done fixed you some dinner. Now… why are you still in bed?!
MICHELLE: What are you talking about? Where am I? Where’s Gregory?!
WILLIAM: (Eerily) Now, you wouldn’t want to offend my mama would you?!
MICHELLE: What’s going on?!
WILLIAM: Well I don’t know what you are talking about! Come on down and eat.
MICHELLE: NOT WITHOUT GREGORY!
WILLIAM: (Angrily) Now you are going to come on down and eat! You will NOT disrespect my momma!
MICHELLE: (Terrified) Ok… I’ll go.
WILLIAM: Good and you’re not gonna make a fuss are you?
MICHELLE: No, No I promise.
WILLIAM: Well you come down when you’re ready.
MICHELLE BEGINS TO GET HERSELF TOGETHER. BEGINS TO LOOK AT SELF IN MIRROR. THIS IS TAKING PLACE WHILE WILLIAM BEGINS NEXT SCENE. FOLLOWING MOTHER LINES CAN BE SAID BY WILLIAM OR WITH ACTRESS PORTRAYING MOTHER.
MOTHER: Well, what does she look like William?
WILLIAM: Well she has brown hair and brown eyes and an awfully nice smile if I do say so myself!
MOTHER: So, where is this mystery wife of yours? I’m dying to meet her!
WILLIAM: She’ll be here in a sec momma. She’s just getting’ ready for you! Well wait just a sec. (Pause and picks up ring on table, begins to get angry) Well what is her wedding ring doing on the table?!!
MOTHER: A wife without a wedding ring?! Well that’s just a hussy without a cause!
WILLIAM: Now Momma, everyone makes mistakes. O here she comes!
ENTER MICHELLE
MICHELLE: I’m here. Now where is Gregory?!
WILLIAM: Now don’t you be rude! Say hello to my momma.
MICHELLE: Who? It’s only us here!
WILLIAM: Stop being impolite!
MICHELLE: No one else is here!!!
WILLIAM GRABS MICHLLE’S HEAD, POINTS IN DIRECTIONS OF IMAGINARY MOMMA.
WILLIAM: (Agitated) Say Hello.
MICHELLE: (Terrified) He… Hello.
WILLIAM: (Pause) Oh Thanks momma! Ain’t you gonna say “Thank you”?
MICHELLE: Thank-Thank You
WILLIAM: Momma done prepared us a special meal. She’s one of the best cooks in the county you know.
MICHELLE BEGINS TO CRY
WILLIAM: Now why are you crying darlin’?
WILLIAM BEGINS TO PET MICHELLE’S HAIR
MICHELLE: I just want to go home. I want Gregory!
WILLIAM: Now stop all that cryin’! You are happy! Hap-py. You here that? H-A-P-P-Y! (Pause) Sarah, where is your wedding ring?
MOTHER: A Woman without a wedding ring is just a stripper without a pole!
MICHELLE: (Shakily) Sarah?.. My name is Michelle.
WILLIAM: Where is it?!
MICHELLE: I’m wearing it. (Points to wedding ring on finger)
WILLIAM: That is not the ring I gave you!
MICHELLE: YOU gave me?! My husband Gregory gave me this ring!
WILLIAM: Gregory?! I am you husband! Here I found it earlier on the table! I just wanted to see why on earth it would ever be off you finger!
MICHELLE: (Petrified)William right? Well William, I’m going to go freshen up.
MICHELLE EDGES HER WAY TO THE DOOR.
WILLIAM: Don’t you dare leave this table without being excused! My momma spent all day cooking this meal!
MICHELLE JUMPS FOR THE DOOR. WILLIAM MANAGES TO SUBDUE HER. WILLIAM BEGINS TOBIND HER WITH HIS BELT.
WILLIAM: No Momma, she won’t be a problem anymore. Will she? (Glares at Michelle)
MICHELLE: No-no, I won’t be a problem anymore.
WILLIAM: (Happily) Now let’s dig in!
WILLIAM LIFTS UP PLATTER OF FOOD. PUTS DOWN A PLATE FOR MICHELLE, HIMSELF AND WHRE IMAGINCARY MOMMA WOULD BE SITTING.
MICHELLE: (Skeptically) What is it?
WILLIAM: (Laughs) Food! Eat up dear! (Begins to eat) It’s good!
MICHLLE: Well maybe you could untie me so I could eat? (Gives William a false smile)
WILLIAM: (Stops Eating) Well, I’ll just have to feed you myself. (Turns to Michelle and begins to feed her) There you go.
MICHELLE: (Shrieks) What is that?!!! Is that-is that a FINGER?! (Starts to cry) That’s Greg’s ring… (Hysterically) That’s his ring! (Begins to Cry)
WILLIAM: Eat up!
MICHELLE: No! (Still Hysterical) Help? Somebody, anybody! Help me! Help!
William: (Attempting to force feed her) Now you are upsetting my mother! Now you quit!
MICHELLE: (Still Crying) Help Me! Please help!!
WILLIAM: (Shaking) Stop it, Stop it, Stop IT!!!
SHERIFF 1: Hello? (Pause) Is anyone in there?
MICHELLE: yes! Help I’m in here!!!
WILLIAM: Now you be quiet! (Hits Michelle)
MICHELLE: (Exasperated) Help me.
SHERIFF 1: I’m Coming!
ENTER SHERIFF 1. SHERIFF 1 BEGINS TO TAKE DOWN WILLIAM AND CUFF HIM.
SHERIFF 1: Are you all right ma’am?
MICHELLE: He killed Greg. He killed him!
SCENE ENDS. SHERIFF 1 AND 2 IN CORNER OF STAGE RIGHT, WILLIAM SITTING IN CHAIR CS
SHIERIFF 1: Supposedly he has been trapping and killing visitors for years. No one knew.
SHERIFF 2: You don’t say? He keeps talking about his momma or something.
SHERIFF 1: Oh yeah. His mother died 20 years ago. It was before you even knew how to say the word sheriff. She died in a traffic accident. She was trying to find William a girlfriend.
SHERIFF 2: So then why was he killing all of the girls?
SHERIFF 1: (Leans in closer to sheriff 2) Well no on e ever met his mother’s standards.
SHERIFF 2: So he just killed them?!
SHERIFF 1: Yep, who knows what’s been going through his mind for the last 20 years. Maybe he isn’t all that crazy after all.
SHERIFF 2: (Scoffs) Sure? And I’m George Washington.
STAGE LIGHTS CENTER TO WILLIAM ROCKING BACK AND FORTH IN CHAIR.
WILLIAM: Yes momma, No momma, yes momma. Blue eyes and golden hair. Yes momma she’s a beaut. Yes momma. Momma don’t be so mean. Yes momma.
SCENE ENDS WITH LIGHTS DIMMING ON WILLIAM.

END

This was performed by my highschool drama department.