Fly On The Wall | Teen Ink

Fly On The Wall

November 6, 2019
By 0Proxy-Kitten0 BRONZE, Eubank, Kentucky
0Proxy-Kitten0 BRONZE, Eubank, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
In the end, it doesn't even matter.


“Fly On The Wall”

DRAFT


February 14th, 2020 (Valentine’s day)


This beautiful sunny day turned grim when police showed up at the Kain’s residence in response to a neighbor calling about hearing screaming from the Kain’s house. Police say two dead bodies were found. One was identified as being Mandy Kain’s father and the other man can’t be confirmed at the moment. The only survivor being Mandy Kain...


We see a young male who looks to be in his early twenties. He reads over a document on the horrific state of affairs that took place earlier that day.. as he thinks about his business there, he realizes he was about to walk into a room that contained the one and only survivor of the dreadful case: Mandy Kain. Johnny Smith, the investigator, was going to get to the bottom of this.

He looked up from the document while folding it neatly and placed it on the table next to him. “Unlock the door,” he said in a stern tone as he adjusted his nice black suit.

A red light lit up above the door and let out a loud, obnoxious, buzzing noise as the door lock clicked. His composure wasn’t affected as he walked into the room to join the girl. Granted, he was the best investigator in all of Taylors.


“Hello Mandy, I’m Johnny. Let’s chat.” He said as the door slammed behind him.


6:14 p.m. (Two hours later)


Dear Michael,

How are you? It’s been two years since I last saw you.. I hope you’re okay. I miss you! Write me back please.

Love, Mandy Candy Kain. :)


“So.. You’re saying that this is the letter you attempted to send to… Who now?”

The investigator said in a low, calm tone as he stared at the old wrinkled letter in front of him. The somehow bright, yet dimmed, white padded room was silent besides the pencil scritching coming from the investigators note taking. 

We see a girl with long greasy black hair hang her head in agony. Her once big bright blue eyes were now blank and emotionless. Her favorite white Ozzy Osbourne shirt was now stained in crimson red. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you that this vulnerable shaking body mass used to be a very normal girl. The investigator looked up at her.

“Mandy.. We don’t have all day. You can either speak up or we’ll have to sit here longer.”

She pinched her eyes shut for about five seconds then opened them again.

Her tired, hoarse voice croaked:

“My... best friend... My only... Friend... That’s who, Mr. Smith...”

She then ran two shaky fingers over the dried blood on her cheek. The investigator opened his mouth to say more but the door made the irritating noise once again.

...He was probably going to question why she felt the need to touch the blood...

“Okay Mandy,” The investigator said as the door opened,

“this is my good friend Dr. Loomis, and he’d like to talk to you.”

A man who is about average height walked in giving a small wave and a friendly smile.

He was dressed like he worked at a hospital, and in his hand he had a briefcase that looked withered. Almost like it’s been dropped in a shredder by accident...

The room echoed when the door slammed behind him. This made Mandy jump slightly as she did before when Johnny entered. After the shock from the sudden sound, Mandy got a good look at him. She realized that he seemed to be middle aged with a lot of hair missing.. He also looked like the kind of doctor all kids feared to visit on check up days.

He intimidated her.

“Mandy Kain, I am Steven Loomis. And I am a professional psychiatrist.”

He placed his briefcase on the table and held out a hand to Mandy hoping she would shake it. She did not.

She just stared at his hand for what felt like an eternity.

He didn’t understand why he was expecting her to do so in the first place, but the awkward silence was beginning to be too much to bear. He cleared his throat and pulled his hand back. He then sat down next to Johnny pretending that didn’t happen, but it did.

And Johnny found it hilarious.

“Mandy… Loomis here is going to try to find out how we can help you with your little... well... big dilemma. Would you please tell him all that you’ve told me during our session?” The investigator asked, passing the notepad to Loomis to give him a clear insight of Mandy’s situation.

“And I mean all... Start at the beginning of your senior year please.”


August 7th, 2019 6:00 a.m.


“Mandy! Get up or you’re gonna be late!” Mandy’s dad shouted from the bottom of the staircase.

Mandy groaned and turned her back to her bedroom door. “Never!” She shouted back throwing her black comforter over herself. Her poor forty-three year old dad sighed and ran his fingers through his greying black hair. “Every year..” He mumbled adjusting his glasses.

Mandy feared school.

She despised it.

With every inch of her body.

At home she was the random, funny, and kind girl she has always been.

But at school, people see her way differently.

Just because of one thing, one little thing, taking up for the weird kid.


*Memories*


Back in first grade Mandy used to be considered normal by her peers. She had friends, she made good grades, teachers liked her. Until one day… he showed up. A boy named Michael Taylor moved into the neighborhood and eventually went to the same school as her.

He was your basic kid who got bullied for being different. His home life wasn’t the best... His parents were more focused on getting well and not taking care of him, he didn’t have the nicest clothes, and his social awkwardness didn’t help him out at all.

His parents saw him going to school everyday as a way to get him out of their hair.

Completely unaware that their son was the main target for a lot of mean kids who misunderstood him, not that they cared anyways. But Mandy being Mandy, she saw him differently. She was mature for the age of six and could tell that the only thing he needed was a friend. So, she gave him one. She would take up for him everytime a bully came his way, she would sit with him at lunch, and she would play with him a recess. And what was at first just a simple kind gesture, she actually grew to like him, and with that they became best friends.

Despite the fairly popular Mandy being his friend, no one cared. They still found him scary, they found him different, they didn’t want him around anymore.. And the same went for Mandy.

Eventually her friends left her, her grades were bad, and teachers didn’t acknowledge her anymore. She just didn’t understand why nobody liked Micahel. He seemed okay to her. And now, all she had was Michael. Two peas in a pod. Her only friend.

Until one day, everything changed. A teacher overheard about Michael’s home life and reported it to the authorities. So Michael was forced to go to a foster home far away from the suburbs, and from Mandy. Michael stood in front of the car that was going to escort him away. But before he could get in, Mandy ran up. “Michael...” she said.

He turned to look at her. The only person who showed him any bit of kindness was standing right there and he was being forced to leave her. Their last day together was a blur, but Mandy remembered saying to him: “Oh please don’t go, I’ll miss you and I love you so.”

“I promise you, I’ll see you again.” He said as they hugged each other tightly.

August 7th, 2019.. And he hasn’t come back.

Mandy was six at the time, but she was now seventeen years old and has given up on the return of her only friend. With that, her treatment at school worsened. Michael may have left, but the presence of him still lingers. She still suffers the consequences of being his friend. 

Does she regret being his friend? No. But sometimes, she wishes she never helped him up that day.


6:15 a.m. (End of memories)


“Mandy.” Her dad said as he opened her bedroom door. She flinched feeling her train of thought crash.

“I understand why you hate school, but that was in first grade and this is your last year. I highly doubt anyone cares about the Michael Taylor thing anymore.”

She sat up in her bed and faced her father. “Dad! That’s all anyone talks about!” She snapped. Her dad gave her the signature don’t be a jerk look. She sighed. “I’m sorry.. That was rude. But you don’t understand. EVERY YEAR it only gets worse.. Why can’t you just tell me what he did that was so wrong?” She asked. Her dad rubbed the back of his neck and sat down at the foot of her bed. “I told you. Someone found out about what was going on at his house so his parents got reported.” He said. She shook her head. “That can’t be it... just because his parents were on drugs? People can’t let me live it down? Just because his parents were on drugs?! There has to be something else!” Mandy exclaimed. “Mandy, I understand that this whole ordeal is aggravating, but you need to fix your tone. What happened to Michael Taylor isn’t anybody’s business. Yes, you two were pretty close, but it doesn’t concern you. Let it go.” Her dad said. “Mom would understand!” ...And with that, she realized her error. Her dad’s eyes filled with hurt and sadness. Mandy widened her eyes. “Dad... I... I uh...” She tried to say she was sorry.. But she couldn’t even get the words out. “No... It’s fine. Just get ready for school.” He said as he stood up slowly and left the room without another word.

She messed up.


7:05 a.m.


Mandy was ready for school unfortunately. She thought over what she was going to say to her father, but she knew good and well that nothing can make up for what she said to him. She glanced over at an old photograph that was displayed neatly on her nightstand. It contained her, her dad, and.. her mom. Her mom, Bethany Kain, was described as being an angel. She was so sweet and caring.. It almost seemed as if she didn’t have a single evil bone in her body. Mandy always believed since her mom was like an angel, God thought so too. Bethany died when Mandy was ten. No one will tell Mandy how her mom died specifically.. But ever since then it has been hard for her and her dad to function. She doesn’t get along with her dad as much as she did with her mom. Mandy sighed and turned away from the photograph. It saddened her too much to look at it for that long. “Bus is here.” She heard her dad say from downstairs. Mandy grabbed her backpack and swung it on as she quickly ran out of her room. “Bye, love you dad!” She said running up to and opening the front door. Her dad didn’t say anything. Mandy frowned and went out the door towards the bus. Another year of the Michael Taylor incident breathing down her shoulder. But what Mandy did not know... Was that it was just getting started.


At school, 8:10, five minutes before class


Mandy didn’t have trouble finding her way to first period considering she IS in her senior year. She sighed to herself as she sat down in the back of the class in the seat right next to the window. Mandy remembered all the nasty looks she received getting on and off of the bus.. And surprisingly it did not shock her at all. As if it couldn’t get any worse, a girl walked up to her. “Oh, if it isn’t the GIRLFRIEND of Michael!” Her annoying voice pierced Mandy’s eardrums. The few people that were in the classroom snickered at that. “Why won’t you just drop it Stacy?” Mandy asked calmly. “Cause no one likes a freak Mandy!” Stacy said. “Well no one likes a cliche bully, STACY.” Mandy smirked. The class went silent. Stacy scoffed and done a dramatic hair flip as she walked back to her seat. “That was mean Mandy.” Some guy said. Wow. What Stacy said wasn’t mean at all, huh? Mandy laid her head down on her desk.


8:15, Class begins


The teacher, Ms Ruby, did the usual back to school introduction. Nothing interesting there. At that moment a tall, slender boy with bleached looking hair walked in. He didn’t try to catch the door so it slammed shut getting everyone’s attention. “Oh yeah, before I forget,” Ms Ruby said. “Class... I would like to introduce a new student.” She motioned for the boy to walk up in front of the class. The boy didn’t say anything but walked up there like she wanted him to. “This is Keith Ray. He moved here from West Virginia.” She said placing a hand on his shoulder. He didn’t even change his expression. He looked almost emotionless. All the students in the classroom had a feeling wash over them that was way too familiar. “Keith you can sit next to...Uhm... Sorry what’s your name again?” Ms Ruby asked. “...Mandy Kain.” Mandy said followed with a disappointed sigh. Keith’s eyes lit up almost immediately. As if he was brought back to life. He then walked over and sat down next to her. “Hey best friend!” The Keith guy whispered. Mandy raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry do I know you..?” Mandy asked extremely confused. “Oh please.. Y’know me. I told you I’d come back.. Remember?” He said in a sinister tone. Mandy felt the color drain from her face. No wonder he looked familiar. No wonder all the students gave him those familiar disturbed expressions. Keith was... It had to be... It couldn’t.

“Michael...” Mandy said.


The author's comments:

I think it's my best work yet because it's based on inspired events.