White Rose | Teen Ink

White Rose

By Apascha BRONZE, Ruckersville, Virginia
Apascha BRONZE, Ruckersville, Virginia

The moon illuminating everything that it touches, making the darkness look powerless.

It’s midnight and almost everything is asleep, everything but you.

You who walk along the road under the moonlight with a white rose in hand held close against your chest. It’s as if that white rose was a precious child and you were protected from the world or perhaps from the light that is illumination from the moon.

You wander alone into the silence of the night with nothing and no one to accompany you but that one single white rose held against your beating heart. The moon who seems more like an intruder that you could not shake off no matter where you turn or what road you took like it was keeping an eye on you as if it was waiting for to turn back. You have come too far to turn back and you have been waiting for this for too long to just too simply go back.

You had come to a stop when you are in the middle of the crossroad in front of the willow tree. Then slowly kneeling down on one knee, still hanging tight on to the rose in one hand you use the other to knock on the ground three-time. Just when you knock the third time you could hear a faint sound of an antique clock ringing in the distant You then reach into your pocket, pulling out a pocket watch click on the top so that it would reveal the time.

It was three in the morning.

You could feel a presence behind you as you got up to your feet, slowly turning your head.

And there she is in the darkness.

Leaning against a willow tree as if she has been here waiting there the whole night just for you.

Good evening darling,”  she says as she steps out of the shadow exposing her face into the moonlight.

She’s beautiful…

Such a lovely evening tonight, don’t you think ?’’

Her voice is smooth as silk, sweet as honey and her eyes look as pure and mysterious like pearls deep beneath the never-ending sea.

Her beauty can put ruby, sapphire, even diamonds to shame-it was unreal….unnatural...in an ...inhuman ways...that is.

‘’ I... I.. am here for..I’’ Unable to form even a sentence your heart begin to rise, clenching the rose even tighter and closer to your chest than before.

You look at the ground, trying to think of something fast to say, trying not to make a fool out of yourself.

Then she begins.

I can offer you the world, the secrets of the universe, to not having to choose nor worry about being the prey or predator of this animalistic world of so-called God finest creation because we both know that "God" had abandoned the world the moment they took a bite of that apple.” 

Words had finally emerged in your thought but before you can speak she holds out her hand toward you.

I always ask permission and you can turn back right now. The choice is yours, my dear, if you so choose.’’ She speaks softly, her gaze is warm and shining bright perhaps that’s because she was born out of the fire. They do say that the eyes are the window to the soul or maybe you’re just cold from being outside for so long.

You let out a breath with trembling hand you hold out the white rose toward her.

She smiles which cause my face warm and my heart skip. 

Are you sure darling?’’  She says as her eyes soften.

“ Yes, I am,” I say firmly this time with confidence in my voice.

Very well my dear. “  She reaches out and gently taking the rose out of my hand carefully as if it was so fragile that it would break with one wrong move. It was an amusing sight to see after hearing the story and dark tales about this being that is called the fallen one. She then held the rose up to her lips and gives it a gentle kiss. Soon the petals of the white rose slowly, casually turning into a golden color. And right at that moment, I know that there’s no going back now, but regret was nowhere to be found in my mind. The emotion that I am feeling at that moment is the relief and of happiness, feeling that I’d lost long ago. For once the tear that is rolling down from my eyes was not done to sadness but joy and for once in this lifetime of mine, I am truly and finally happy. 

My favorite animals are jellyfish and my favorite insects is a moth.   

Please don't copy my work.