Closing Time | Teen Ink

Closing Time

June 11, 2019
By MarshHarrier BRONZE, New York, New York
MarshHarrier BRONZE, New York, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end. The last thing I saw before entering oblivion was the faded tattoo that was etched to the side of my wrist. The pain was getting duller. I could feel the blood gushing out of my thighs, my shoulders, the back of my head. I could hear my heart slowing down. All the memories were coming back- it was like my brain was the only thing left in my body. So this is how it feels like to die? I couldn’t save my own child and now she was gone, god knows where they took her.

She was gone. Her muffled voice hurt my head but I was helpless. She was being taken, farther and farther away from me. Her hand wasn’t in mine anymore.  I could see one of their sneering face close to mine as something sharp tore through my shoulders. A cloud of helplessness was wrapping itself around me. A punch to my face and all I could croak out was, Please don’t. I held her so tight that my fist was the only thing I could feel. Two shady figures were kicking me while another was pulling Sash away from me. Just when I decided to pick her up, a cold metal clanged against the back of my head.

It was a bit slippery and smelled of urine. Everything seemed perfect when she held my hand as we crossed the street and entered the alleyway. For now, it was our day out. She seemed to have a natural interest for physics and I could see her becoming a physicist one day, or maybe an astronaut. She was bright for a 5-year-old. I see the hunter, Dada! she said remembering the constellation I had told her about the week before. She spotted Orion and pointed up at the three bright stars above our heads that were lined up at an angle. We had planned to take the car but since the weather was so nice I told her we should walk.

She also said she wanted cotton candy but I said I’d get her ice-cream instead. She wanted to watch it in 3D. I promised her we’d go to the theater to watch ‘Smallfoot’. I was allowed to spend time with her during the weekends while Addison got to keep her during the weekdays. Addison dropped Sasha at my place yesterday night.


The author's comments:

This was a story I wrote for my Creative Writing class. The task for to write a story backwards. This way the climax holds less importance as compared to the introduction and the setting and the readers are more focused on how the characters got to the climax.