Born From a Nightmare | Teen Ink

Born From a Nightmare

By LuciaR. SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
LuciaR. SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Slowly, a black liquid oozes from the cracks of a stone grave. Although the grave was new, the grave had an overgrown mess of flowers and moss clinging to it. From the substance, something stirred, squirmed, and pulsed to life. The fluid stunk of liquefied corpses and fungus. The stench was one to behold, for it could bombard one's nose and drive them to madness. A grey hand formed within the liquid, reaching out and grabbing the clump of crabgrass nearby. The disgustingly putrid-smelling mass grew more and more as the night went on. First came the hands, then the claws, next the teeth, and the humanoid body. The glowing amber eyes pierced through the darkness, and the new being lived its first moments. As the creature began to crawl, a gentle clicking erupted from it's malformed throat. Suddenly, footsteps rang into the night, which alerted the creature of a young woman nearby. The young woman, still clad in a school uniform, cried over the graves of her parents. The sobbing, weeping, and sniffling of the girl brought it closer and closer to her. The grotesque creature mimicked the sobbing, for it merely saw the sobbing as a game. Its sobs were low and sounded more like desperate gargling than crying. The girl quickly whipped her head around to see what was there, yet she didn't see the creature. What she saw was a rather pale and amber eyed young man. Unlike any random schoolgirl would, she ran away as far as she possibly could. He ran after her, letting out cries of struggles long forgotten. The gargling, the screams, the gasping, it was all so familiar, too familiar. He reached out for her, yet she didn't stop running. Until she lost him, she would continue to run far, far away. The mind of the creature, though initially scrambled, had pulled itself together. This was his classmate- no, his best friend. The memories came in flashes, returning with each step. Them meeting on the beach, them playing kickball on the same team, him playing football while she cheers him on, them studying together, and them making plans for college. All of these memories were happy ones, even the ones where he comforted her pain and she comforted his- until he saw the last one that is. The last memory made him finally scream a clear scream, "Elizabeth! Don't leave me!". The girl stopped and turned around with tears in her eyes. Her face wrinkled and frowned, agonizing emotions filled her head. Guilt, mourning, and pain all showed themselves as the tears rolled down her face.

"it's all my fault... I'm so sorry.. I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry.. I'm so sorry," She whimpered as the tears came down like rain. What's worse is that she was right. This was all her fault... She could still feel her hands on his neck as she pushed him under the lake water. She could still hear him struggle to breathe and gargling under the water. She could still feel him go limp in her arms. Their relationship started with a splash, and it ended with one too. As soon as the two embraced once more, she awoke to her same old dorm room. Thus, she sighed in relief, but her breath tightened again when she saw the same amber eyes peeking from her dark closet.

I posted this on my writing Blog, but this piece was loosely based off of a nightmare I had. I won't give the details of the nightmare as it was a bit more gruesome than this.