Your First Experience | Teen Ink

Your First Experience

May 12, 2019
By ava-huff04 BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
ava-huff04 BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Your First Experience


“Olivia!” your mom yelled, “We’re leaving in thirty minutes!”

You sighed, continuing to pack your luggage. This years summer trip is to Long Beach, California. Your dad, who is a ghost fanatic, booked a hotel suite on the Queen Mary. You were not stoked for this trip, more scared than excited because you did research on the Queen Mary and found out it’s one of the most haunted places. It was time to leave for California so you hopped in the car with your mom and dad.

“Are you excited?” your dad asked.

“You can say that,” you replied.

“Don’t worry Olivia, it’s going to be fun.” You rolled your eyes, while putting in your headphones, preparing yourself for the long, four hour car ride. The music you were listening to made you sleepy, and before you knew it, you were fast asleep. You woke up to your mom telling you to wake up because they reached the ship. You got out the car and groaned because of the blazing sun on your skin. Your parents were greeted by one of the workers.

“Do you guys need any help with luggage?”

“Yes! We’re staying in room B200,” your mom replied.

“Wait, are you sure its room B200?” the worker asked concerned.

“Yes, is there a problem with the room?” your dad asked.

“Nope, not at all,” the worker smirked and left with the luggage. You took note of the way the worker acted because you found the conversation between your parents and him weird. Since your dad was interested in the ship, he already scheduled for a tour guide to come and show us around the ship. She took us inside the ship and you instantly felt your heart race rapidly. You were confused because you weren’t nervous or anything, but shook it off thinking it might be a subconscious thing. The tour guide urged you and your family to follow her to the most haunted level on the ship, level B. Even though the rest of the ship was relatively lukewarm, once you stepped out the elevator onto level B, you got cold shivers down your spine.

“Why is it so cold on this level?”

“What are you talking about?” your dad said, “It’s not cold at all.”

“Don’t be too worried about it. It’s normal to feel cold on this level,” the tour guide interrupted.  Nothing else happened for the rest of the tour and soon it was late at night. When your parents were trying to check into the room, the receptionist kept asking if you wanted to stay in room B200. Your parents were starting to get visibly angry at the lady, and she noticed and decided to just give you guys the room key. You and your parents got inside the room and started to unpack your things.

“Olivia, your dad and I are going to get something to eat. Stay here while we’re gone,” your mom stated. And with that, they both left the room, and you noticed the sudden temperature drop again. This time it was colder, but you shook it off, remembering what the tour guide said. Two hours had past, and it was now 12:00 AM. Your parents haven’t came back yet, so you decided to go explore the ship some more. You were walking down the hallways when you heard your name being yelled by a familiar voice. It sounded like your mom’s voice, so you respond.

“Yes Mom?” you yelled back, but there was no response. Subconsciously, you followed the sound of the voice, and you turned the corner of the hallway and found you mother standing still, looking straight at you.

“What’s wrong?” you asked concerned. Your mother just groaned in response, and started to walk into the side room. You picked up your pace, following your mom, but once you were in the empty room, your mother was nowhere to be seen. You nervously got your phone out to call your dad.

“Dad! Are you and mom okay?” you asked nervously.

“Hey honey. Mom and I are okay. What happened?” your dad responded cautiously.

“Oh, nothing happened,” you lied.

“Well that’s good. Your mom and I will be back shortly,” your dad said.

“Okay, bye.” You went back to your room, but noticed the door to the room was opening on its own very slowly. You thought maybe your parents were back, but once you were standing in the doorway you saw an older women sitting on the chair.

“Excuse me?” you said. The women looked up at you and her eyes were straight black, but she didn’t say anything. She just got up and stood there for a good five seconds until you closed your eyes. You opened them, and the old women was gone. All of a sudden, you felt this pressure on your chest and got more cold shivers down your spine. You fell back because the the pressure, but a pair of arms caught you.

“What are you doing?” it was your dad.

“I think we need to leave this place,” you said frantically.

“Don’t worry. We were only staying on this ship for one night,” your dad reassured you. You nodded your head, knowing you will be leaving this scary place soon. You got into bed, ready to fall asleep. Your reached for the lamp to turn the light off, but the light bulb exploded and glass fell and cut your hand. You screamed and your mother rushed towards you. The cut from the glass was pretty deep, so you had to hurry to the emergency room to treat the wound. During the whole ride to the emergency room, your mom was yelling at your dad.

“How could you let us stay at a hotel like this!”

“I didn’t know something this bad was going to happen!” your dad clapped back. You waited in the emergency waiting room for an hour until they finally took you in. They said you had to get stitches, and you got even more scared because you never had gone under any type of surgery. They numbed your hand and started to work on it. You fell asleep because it was late at night, and you didn’t want to see what they were doing to your hand.

“Wake up Olivia,” the nurse said. You fluttered your eyes open and saw your hand. It disgusted you because it was all bruised up, and you could see the stitches coming out of your hand. Your parents got the hospital bill, and you took a quick look at it. It’s so much money. You saw your parents look on their faces, and you could tell their not happy. On the way back to the ship, your dad started to talk to you about the trip.

“Olivia honey, I have some news to break to you.” You took a big gulp, worrying about what he’s going to say.

“Your mom and I have decided to get a different hotel room for tonight. It’s somewhere else so nothing bad will happen again.” he said, “We also canceled our whole trip because we won’t have enough money.” Even though you didn’t do anything, you felt guilty, but you understood the situation.

“We’re going to head back home tomorrow morning,” your mom said. You felt guilty, but you were also happy that you didn’t have to stay at that ship for the night. That experience you had was something you never believed would happen to you, and it made you really scared of ghost after that. Of course, you had to go back and pack all your stuff to move into the other hotel. Once you stepped back into the ship, you got more cold shivers and your palms started to sweat like you were nervous. You went up to your room and packed all your things. Your parents did the same. You slept the whole car ride to the hotel because by now it is 3:00 AM in the morning. The car jerking when it was being parked woke you up. You left all your things in the car because you and your parents were only staying a night. The next morning your dad woke you up to leave to go back home. You slept away the whole car ride back home, but your dreams were all replays of what happened the night before. You never forgot that moment in your life because it scared you so much.


The author's comments:

I had fun writing this piece for school.