Too Deep | Teen Ink

Too Deep

By BriN1218 BRONZE, Fullerton, California
BriN1218 BRONZE, Fullerton, California

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

“Lets go to the creek!” Noah shouts. Oliver hears his voice and follows Noah as they head toward the creek by Greenwood Forest. The location was known for its humongous Redwood trees.

“The creek is right over there!” Oliver exclaims. The boys arrive at the creek and begin to collect rocks to skip them across the water. The birds chirp loudly and there is the soothing, gentle murmur of the creek. As they continuously throw rocks at the crystal clear water, they are full of boredom, so they decide to start a competition to see who can bounce the rocks on the water as many times in one throw.

Before long, Noah wants to change game so he turns to Olivers and requests “Hey, do you want to see who can throw the rock the furthest?”

“Sure, why not!” Oliver answers. Before sunset, they constantly play until they discover something unusual at the other side of the creek.

“Oliver, what is that?” Noah questions. With curiosity, they relocate towards the mysterious figure.

“What could it be?” Oliver asks. They reach their intended location and find out that there is a small crevice, filled with impenetrable darkness. They take out their flashlight and illuminate the cave. Small stones littered the ground and the rocks guarding the entrance were ragged and sharp. The boys take one glance at each other and, without question, dive into the entrance that was entrancing them.

As Oliver continues his exploration in the cavern, Noah follows closely. All of a sudden, moonlight spills into the cave, lighting up the rest of the cavern. It was bigger than Oliver had expected.

“Wow! This cave is so huge!” Oliver declares. Towards the end of the cavern, is a handle. As Oliver courageously explores the cave, Noah is anxious that something horrible will ensue.

“Should we start to head back home?” Noah questions nervously. Oliver’s curiosity ignores his response as he reaches closer to the handle. With a lot of interest, he opens the hatch and only sees unending darkness. Suddenly, a horde of bats fly out, covering Oliver’s sight. Oliver attempts to escape the bats, however, he accidentally falls into the open hatch. Noah quickly runs over to Oliver, and grabs his hand. As their eyes lock, they realize that they have gone too far, and there is no going back. Their lives were in the hands of the dark that was encapsulating them.

My inspiration for this piece came from my interest in mystery and thrillers. These type of stories leave people thinking about them far after they finish the book or movie.