The Story of an End. | Teen Ink

The Story of an End.

FADE IN:

EXT-PARK-DAY

The scene opens to a park setting. The scene opens with a couple sitting in the shade of a tree on a bright, sunny day. There is a boy, about 18, and his girlfriend of about the same age. The boy’s name is MICHAEL. MICHAEL sits upright against the tree looking out upon a lake. His girlfriend, MELISSA, lies across his lap.  Her head rests on his chest, her hands are intertwined with MICHAEL’s. MELISSA plays with MICHAEL's fingers absentmindedly.
MELISSA
(breaking the silence suddenly)
Well, at least the service was nice. Hunter really came through. I thought the flowers he chose were lovely, even though I told him Mary’s favorite flowers were orchids, not azalea’s.

MICHAEL
(with a sigh)
Yes, he did great. Maybe your kid brother isn’t such a kid anymore.

Silence passes between the two of them again. MELISSA continues to play with MICHAEL’s fingers.

MELISSA
(breaking the silence again)
Michael, we never talked about what happened last night.

MICHAEL
I don’t want to talk about what happened.

Melissa stops playing with his fingers.

MICHAEL (cont.)
Can’t we just sit here? It’s such a nice d-

MELISSA
(interrupting him)
Michael, we have to. Look I know things got really intense after the service, but we can’t just ignore an argument like that.

Another moment of silence passes between them.

MICHAEL
I said it was fine, Mellie. I know I shouldn’t have yelled at you.

MELISSA sits up from MICHAEL’s lap She sits on the back of her heels, her knees facing towards MICHAEL so that they are face to face and looks at him.

MICHAEL(cont.)
..You were in pain already and I shouldn’t have added to it.

MELISSA
(raising her voice)
Michael stop apologizing, it was my fault.

MICHAEL
(slightly raising his voice as well)
But, I don’t blame you.

MELISSA
But Michael-

MICHAEL
(interrupting her)
Mellie, stop!
(calming down)
Melissa, you were upset. I know your foster mother’s passing has been difficult,  I mean you already lost your actual parents who wouldn’t-

MELISSA
(calmly interrupting him)
Michael, I have a problem.

Silence passes between them.

MELISSA
I think I need to get help.

MICHAEL
(pleading)
Mellie, just listen to me.

MELISSA
(starts calmly)
I have listened. I listened when you told me that you wanted to be with me even though your parents didn’t approve of me at all. I listened when you told me that my dad was just a deadbeat drunk and that I am worth something.
(getting emotional)
Michael, I listen to you! And you know what I do? Hm? I go home and I drink myself to sleep because whiskey drowns out the dreams of my parents and my foster parents and the house I used to live in before we got evicted and I just- I just need help because I feel- I feel really alone sometimes.

MICHAEL grabs her shaking hands in his. He strokes her hair as he pulls her head into his chest. He shushes her and continues to stroke her hair.

MICHAEL
(comforting her)
Shh, Mellie, baby you shouldn’t feel alone. We are together and we’re in love, okay? I am here. I am here. I love you.

MELLIE
(still emotional)
Michael I know! I love you, but we need to have a real talk about this. Normal people talk about these kinds of things.

MICHAEL
Oh, normal people are boring.

MELLIE
(breaking away from his embrace)
Michael would you just listen! Would you stop with all this fairytale nonsense and listen!

MICHAEL
I am listening! And all I hear is you shouting about how you drink because of your broken childhood!

While MICHAEL rants MELISSA is shaking her head furiously wiping away tears that have begun to fall down her face. She is visibly distraught.

MICHAEL(cont.)
I’m sorry that my parents aren’t divorced junkies! I’m sorry that your foster parents couldn’t afford the house anymore! So what if you drink?! Doesn’t every college student drink once in a while?!

MELISSA stands up angrily. MICHAEL tries to stop her, ending up on his knees, grasping her hands preventing her from turning away. She struggles, sobbing.

MICHAEL
(kneeling on one knee, pleading to her)
Melissa, wait. Stop. Stop!

MELISSA stops struggling and looks down at him, still crying. MICHAEL looks up at her. He reaches for his pocket. He pulls out a ring and holds it in front of him.

MELISSA
(sobbing)
Michael. This isn’t the time. You cannot fix how broken we are with that, Michael. You just can’t.

MELISSA pulls her hands away from him. She slowly backs away, still crying, until she finally turns to leave. MELISSA exits the screen to the [left]. MICHAEL still sitting on one knee is seen crying, watching her leave.

MICHAEL
(yells)
I love you! I-
(his voice breaks into sobs)
I-
(whispers)
I love you.

FADE OUT: To black.

Michael's character is based on the archetypes of the Innocent and the Lover, while Melissa's character is based on the Orphan archetype. As always my characters portray a little bit of me in my writing. I personally relate to these archetypes and my name starts with an M, so naturally, I made my characters names start with an M. Hope you enjoy. :)