L.I.F.E. | Teen Ink

L.I.F.E.

By JacksonDoane BRONZE, Indianapolis , Indiana
JacksonDoane BRONZE, Indianapolis , Indiana

Tuesday,august,10th 2024 5:48 PM Mick is sitting on the couch in his house hungover and just now waking up, listening to Voicemails His wife Jone sent him earlier this morning, Mick is ignoring every single one except this one that stood out to him.

Jone’s Voicemail: You BETTER call me back, because I cant keep doing this thing with you chasing you to the point to where you snap on me, because you have already. What are you doing!? I mean do you really wanna see over? Is that what you want? (in a mocking type of tone) Are you gonna be a happy boy then? Well i guess so, because that's what you told me. You better call me soon because im done doing this Jackson.

Mick gets up from the couch into the kitchen and pours himself a glass of whatever he had left in his liquor cabinet, he tilts his head back and drinks the whole half glass in one swift motion. He throws up in the sink twice because of his body rejecting Jackson’s poison.  He then takes an ibuprofen to help with his headache and washed it down with and old Capri sun one of his kids left out on the counter

Later that evening Jone is home from work and Mick is on the couch listening to her screaming at him while he stares blankly at the whiskey dripping out of the lip of the empty bottle

Jone: I can’t keep doing this Jackson

Mick: Doing what?

Jone: CHASING YOU MICK!

Mick: There's nothing to chase Jone, I’ve stopped, I'm done for. I am nothing but a failure as a father, husband, son, and anything else there is to be. So just stop chasing me Jone, you’re chasing something that you've already passed, and missed. So just stop chasing, stop Jone...

Jone: I can't do that when you're constantly being reclusive and hiding away from me and the kids, and not spending time with us, We are your family Mick, Kyran is 6 years old and Dempsey 8,and they are seeing their father hide away and transform into some reclusive monster. You made Kyran cry her eyes out yesterday because you snapped on her for getting on the counter. This this is the first time i've talked to you in since yesterday, Mick and we live together. It feels like I don’t even have a husband anymore.

Mick: Well if you cared you would try to help me

Jone: I’VE BEEN DOING THAT FOR THE PAST 7 MONTHS, Jackson! BUT YOU DON'T WANT HELP YOU WANT ALCOHOL AND MONEY! (her voice rings throughout their living room)

Mick: Okay! Settle. Down.

Jone: ( Jone pauses, takes a deep breath in and lets out a sigh) Why did i marry you?( calmly questioning herself)... here ( Jone throws Jackson's Jacket  at him) hide behind that. It hides the person i married ( her voice fades as she walked away) the person you’re scared of being.

Mick: (Mick stands up and looks at her and starts talking to turn her around so she’ll listen to him) We’ve been married 11 years, Jone. 11 Years. The person you married is still hiding, and I am not scared of being anyone, I am myself, I am Mick Darin the man that you married, helped, loved, cared for, partied with, laughed with, drove with, smiled with, and so much more, and if you aren't gonna see the Mick Darin that you Jone Darin married. 11 years… night in and night out Ever since August 9th of 2005 and…. (Mick pauses and realizes) 12… 12 years… that was…

Jone: (cutting Mick off) Yesterday Jackson, as of yesterday we’ve been married for 12 years, and the only thing you said to me yesterday was “what time is it” when i woke you up on the couch

Mick flashbacks to yesterday morning. He feels a rush of cold hit his face and he suddenly wakes up to jone standing in her work clothes with an empty glass that had water in it. Mick asks what time it was and Jone tosses the cup to him and walks out the door slamming it behind her.

Mick: I… I don't know what to say I was just…( suddenly Jackson’s phone rings and he answers) Hello? Oh hey Marty whats poppin?

Marty: Hey, Mick I need you down here man, we’re placing bets on baseball tonight, Oakland against New York, and I know you’d place a lot on New York, whoever guesses the score correctly or is closest to it, takes all, you in?

Mick: Yeah, man! I'm totally in I’ll be down there in about 15, place $500 on NY 13-8

Marty: You got it man!

Mick throws on a black tee-shirt, grabs his Jacksonet and keys and starts to walks out the door then Jone stops him

Jone: Mick…

Mick: Yeah?

Jone: If you come back Intoxicated… DON'T walk in this house and if you do, i'm taking the kids and we’re going to my parents house.

Mick: (Mick breaths in and calmly says)... okay, alright you can take the kids I'll still love them the same way, same goes for you, you all can leave anytime you want, but when you come back, I’ll be here, I'll be different... I’ll be me. So go ahead, take yourself, the kids, and me with you. (Mick shuts the door behind him)

Mick gets in his car, and starts it, as he's driving down the road he starts to hear voices, hes has a hallucination of himself in a white tee-shirt with blood stains, and cuts and bruises on his face the, in the passenger seat.

Mick’s Hallucination: You’re gone Mick, you're not yourself. Hanging around these people, that just stroke your ego and feed you whiskey to make you feel good… none if its real this isn't real. You’re choosing fame over family Mick, you need to fix it... But you can't fix what's already broken, that's what we always say right? But we never thought we’d be saying it about Jone now would we?

Mick: Listen! I’ve tried, but you can't….

Mick turns to see no one in the passenger seat, tears start to fill in his eyes and, his mouth quivers and he screams as he speeds down the highway that’ll lead him to crash .

An album Titled The Beautiful and Damned, and album about a gemini with two sided of himself, One known as Gerald and the other known as G-eazy, who only comes out when he drinks.Two completely difrent people in the same brain of this man. I've listend to this album front to back multipule times and it really speaks to me about who Gerald is and who G-eazy is. Inspired by this album i decided to write a story called L.I.F.E with the same consept but with a diffrent story, this is just a small snippet of the ful story. Its more of a script but it tells a huge story, Jone and Mick fall in love after metting in an italian restraunt, Jone soon finds out that Mick has this other side of hinm that comes out when he drinks or when he is deep into music. Jone and Mick get married and crate a family and it slowly crumbles once Mick starts partying and Drinking almost every night and the next day being reculseive and hiding away from his family with himself and his demons that contol him.